UK bug out bag

eaglemax

Newly Enlightened
I bought myself a bag today and a few bits to put in it. I got a nice Torch from Tesco, small first aid kit, a penknife, pen and note book, tiny radio, AA Duracell battery 8 pack for radio/torch a bottle of water and a bar of Kendal mint cake.

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought myself a bag today and a few bits to put in it. I got a nice Torch from Tesco, small first aid kit, a penknife, pen and note book, tiny radio, AA Duracell battery 8 pack for radio/torch a bottle of water and a bar of Kendal mint cake.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh Kendal mint cake ! Good call there.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Well of course I had to google Kendal Mint Cake and read a few posts on a forum, where I came across this post.

"BTW Kendal mint cake has some seriously bad associations with certain outdoor types in the UK called Rambling Hikers
on with my continued curiosity, I had to click the link to find out what a Rambling Hiker is."

Lucky Jim

Newly Enlightened
I never venture out without my titanium spork - essential piece of kit.

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well of course I had to google Kendal Mint Cake and read a few posts on a forum, where I came across this post.

"BTW Kendal mint cake has some seriously bad associations with certain outdoor types in the UK called Rambling Hikers
on with my continued curiosity, I had to click the link to find out what a Rambling Hiker is."

Welcome to our world................

Lord Muzzy

Newly Enlightened
UK bug out bag...

Kendal mint cake, obviously... (but not that brown stuff... That's wrong..)

String..

Umbrella..

Every torch and battery you own...

Hard cash.. (used for bartering for items you may need... Wait?.....!)

Spare underwear..

And... That's pretty much it in the UK, anything sharp, pointy, cool, fun, explody or shooty is pretty much illegal in the UK.

Oh! And some tea bags, any Englishman can accomplish anything with a good pot of tea inside him!

They don't call it GREAT Britain for nothing.. :twothumbs

eaglemax

Newly Enlightened
UK bug out bag...

Kendal mint cake, obviously... (but not that brown stuff... That's wrong..)

String..

Umbrella..

Every torch and battery you own...

Hard cash.. (used for bartering for items you may need... Wait?.....!)

Spare underwear..

And... That's pretty much it in the UK, anything sharp, pointy, cool, fun, explody or shooty is pretty much illegal in the UK.

Oh! And some tea bags, any Englishman can accomplish anything with a good pot of tea inside him!

They don't call it GREAT Britain for nothing.. :twothumbs

Why an umbrella when stuck in a car?. I checked your laws and you can have a knife as long as it is UK legal. Tea bags without a kettle and I prefer coffee, we are so lucky working in UK we get a 5 minute break for a coffee in the morning and afternoon.

braddy

Enlightened
Rule number one (aside from water), sleeping bag, and every time someone mentions a "blanket" remember that a blanket doesn't even keep you warm enough on the couch at home.

The blanket goes inside your sleeping bag, it keeps you warmer if the temp is too low for the cheap bag that you would keep in a car, or it can help you manage your comfort when keeping the bag unzipped on less cool nights, and it will keep your shoulders warm as you sit in the car in a partly zipped bag doing things like eating or reading, or talking on your cell phone.

Car break downs often happen when you are tired, or the weather is atrocious, or it is just too late to be trying to call people and solve something that can wait until the morning.

If you have what you need to sleep comfortably in freezing weather, then just relax, eat a can of beans, drink a little water, use your headlamp to read a little bit or listen to music, and then have a nice sleep and worry about it in the day light.

In snow it helps to have (at least) some dry socks and fleece pull ons, just in case that while you were determining if you were really broke down, you soaked your feet and shoes and pants legs.

Poppy

Flashaholic

Jash... great post! I started working my way through it, and book marked it so that I can continue.

Rule number one (aside from water), sleeping bag, and every time someone mentions a "blanket" remember that a blanket doesn't even keep you warm enough on the couch at home.

<snip>

If you have what you need to sleep comfortably in freezing weather, then just relax, eat a can of beans, drink a little water, use your headlamp to read a little bit or listen to music, and then have a nice sleep and worry about it in the day light.

In snow it helps to have (at least) some dry socks and fleece pull ons, just in case that while you were determining if you were really broke down, you soaked your feet and shoes and pants legs.

Great point!!!
A gentleman in my car "Winter driving safety kit" thread suggested that you dress as though you will have to walk home, in whatever the current weather is, and take some layers off once in the car.

Far too often people are under-dressed for the weather because they plan to dart to and from the car when they arrive at, or leave, their destination.

braddy

Enlightened
you dress as though you will have to walk home

I try not to lay too much on the thread at once, but that is exactly correct.

When I moved to Minneapolis I discovered 20 below zero, and I had to adapt. Something I saw, was people in tennis shoes, and blue jeans, throw on a stylish jacket to drive in their new car, to Wisconsin, or (anywhere), in a breakdown those tennis shoes would be soaked instantly, and then your wet feet would be dealing with a five or 10 mile walk at zero degrees.

Just imagine the situations, and then mentally walk through them, you can't sleep at 40 degrees with nothing but a blanket, if your car won't start and it is 20 degrees, and you have spent the last hour trying to dig your car out of snow, then you need clothes, if you have a long hike to make and you are in nice (useless) business shoes, then you better have some old boots in the trunk, if you carry water in the winter, or travel from warm flatlands through freezing mountain ranges, then keep your water in a small ice chest, to keep it (and canned food) from freezing, and to capture the water if it goes through a freeze/burst/thaw cycle.

Lord Muzzy

Newly Enlightened
Why an umbrella when stuck in a car?. I checked your laws and you can have a knife as long as it is UK legal. Tea bags without a kettle and I prefer coffee, we are so lucky working in UK we get a 5 minute break for a coffee in the morning and afternoon.

Who says I'm stuck in a car?! I'm on a horse, petrol will be too unreliable and will cost more than gold probably... We are lucky to have coffee breaks? I have tea breaks, as does every true Englishman... Coffee is more a continental/trans Atlantic custom/fad thanks.. How am I going to build a new civilization with a UK legal carry knife? I'd be hard pressed to clean everybodys nails..

Poppy

Flashaholic
Who says I'm stuck in a car?! I'm on a horse, petrol will be too unreliable and will cost more than gold probably... We are lucky to have coffee breaks? I have tea breaks, as does every true Englishman... Coffee is more a continental/trans Atlantic custom/fad thanks.. How am I going to build a new civilization with a UK legal carry knife? I'd be hard pressed to clean everybodys nails..

Lord Muzzy,
I know that you are just fooling around, but if you are going to play the game, you have to follow the rules set out by the OP, and that is stuck in a car possibly for hours due to traffic jams caused by accidents and one inch of snow, or more.

If there was 6 inches of snow or more, self feeding of the horse MAY be an issue. I really don't know. I don't have a horse :)

Poppy

Flashaholic

When I moved to Minneapolis I discovered 20 below zero, and I had to adapt. Something I saw, was people in tennis shoes, and blue jeans, throw on a stylish jacket to drive in their new car, to Wisconsin, or (anywhere), in a breakdown those tennis shoes would be soaked instantly, and then your wet feet would be dealing with a five or 10 mile walk at zero degrees.

Just imagine the situations, and then mentally walk through them, you can't sleep at 40 degrees with nothing but a blanket, if your car won't start and it is 20 degrees, and you have spent the last hour trying to dig your car out of snow, then you need clothes, if you have a long hike to make and you are in nice (useless) business shoes, then you better have some old boots in the trunk, if you carry water in the winter, or travel from warm flatlands through freezing mountain ranges, then keep your water in a small ice chest, to keep it (and canned food) from freezing, and to capture the water if it goes through a freeze/burst/thaw cycle.

braddy,
I really love your educational mindset. You try to make people THINK.
Cold wet feet are NOT fun.!
I am considering throwing a pair of waterproof insulated work boots that I no longer wear into the trunk of my car. It certainly would be a good idea. If I lived in your part of the country, I certainly would. Here in NJ, I have some plastic bags, and spare socks. I'll have dry feet inside of wet running shoes, or rubber soled leather shoes. I'll put the bags over dry socks, and then put on the wet shoes. Eventually my feet might get wet from perspiration, at that point I could put on a different pair of socks. I guess it is like "poor man's" gortex socks.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everyone needs shelter, water, food, and light. That should be an easy starting point.

Flashlight & spare batteries
Rain jacket/pants
Good pair of shoes (especially if you wear dress shoes or flip flops often)
Warm coat
BIC lighter
Bottles of water and a Lifestraw (or equivalent)
Energy bars (with long shelf life) or beef jerky (sealed)
Sunscreen
Emergency cash
Emergency power for cell phone (or backup cell phone)

dss_777

Enlightened

Really does cut to the heart of the matter (and to our own "best answer").

An interesting/educational exercise: Just try and go through a normal day using only what you carry with you when you start the day.

Lots of "what ifs" come up. How would you extend that capability if you had to spend the night somewhere that's *not home*? What if you had no car or public transport? What would you eat?

I've realized that I rely too often on *stuff* rather than *skills*.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mr Muzzy your Lordship.

I think new member eagletac is living here but comes from Europe possibly eastern bloc as i read he found a job easy,hopefully he will see this and tell us all.