UK C8 eLed Plus modification... Pic heavy, beamshots and comparisons!

sucnip

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone. I'm a big fan of UK dive lights. One unique feature of their newer LED models is a heatsink sticking out of the front of the lens. This allows two sideways LED's to be driven pretty hard while allowing all that heat to escape into the water. My initial mod replaced the 5W LED's with P7's. This is what the Aquasun commercial product is based on. I recently took things one step futher with two XM-L T6 LED's and a 2.8A driver.
img2917s.jpg
img2917s.jpg

Here is the light head. Notice the heatsink sticking out the front of the lens?

img2921n.jpg

This is the heatsink removed. It simply unscrews.

img2925t.jpg

To mount the LED's I cut down a XML star and used Fujik thermal adhesive.

img2927tq.jpg

Here is the 'pill' with both LED's mounted.

I replaced the Alkaline batteries with an 8x NiMH C cell battery pack, 5000 mAh. The driver is a 3 Amp DX 3 mode driver. This particular buck driver outputs 2.8 amps. I removed the modes daughter card to make it one mode... reall F-ing bright!

So. How does it work? On to the Shootout!!
roundup.jpg

5 lights in today's shootout.
1. UK Q40 eLED PLUS
2. UK SL4 eLED
3. XTAR D06 (800 Lumen XML T6)
4. UK Aquasun
5. UK C8 eLED Plus with XML Modification.

The following photographs were taken at 5 meters from the garage door. Camera settings were identical at 1/4 sec, F5.6, ISO 100, Daylight WB.

1. 5m UK eLED Q40 Plus
5mq40.jpg

2. UK SL4 eLED
5msl4.jpg

3. XTAR D06
5mxtard06.jpg

4. UK Aquasun
5maquasun.jpg

5. Modified UK C8 eLED Plus :)
5mcustom.jpg

6. Control - ambient light
5mcontrol.jpg

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice result. I was expecting some horrible beam but the pic says otherwise.

Have you tried it against a single XML with a standard reflector?

Milestar

Newly Enlightened
My internet speed sucks, I can not see the pics..

I have to wait for the downloading for more longer time.

Umibuta

Newly Enlightened
Very very nice!! Do you have pictures of the 3A driver? I am more interested in how you removed the 3-mode. How are the 2 leds connected to a a single driver?

Thanks

sucnip

Newly Enlightened
I followed the instructions in DX comments. Remove the daughter card (unsolder the leads) and connect the "bent wire" spot to +v with a resistor - 1k will do. I'm driving two XM-L T6's in series with an 8 cell NiMH pack. Output current is exactly 2.8A.

FYI, you can also insert a 555 timer with a pot to produce a variable dimmer for this driver.

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I followed the instructions in DX comments. Remove the daughter card (unsolder the leads) and connect the "bent wire" spot to +v with a resistor - 1k will do. I'm driving two XM-L T6's in series with an 8 cell NiMH pack. Output current is exactly 2.8A.

FYI, you can also insert a 555 timer with a pot to produce a variable dimmer for this driver.

Cool can you post pic?
Thanks

Milestar

Newly Enlightened
I still can not see the pics, can I require these pics to my email?

Last edited:

jspeybro

Enlightened
Hi, I have a question. Do you have any idea how much current the driver of the Aquasun eLed provides on high?
I have this light from a friend. It stopped working but the driver seems ok, so I'm thinking of replacing the LEDs withouth changing the driver.

Johan

jspeybro

Enlightened
I replaced the P7 leds from the flooded UK aquasun by cree XM-L's. They are connected in series and I kept the original driver. however, I don't see any difference between the high and low setting. Any idea what may be causing this? Or is there really not much difference?
To be honest, I'm not impressed by the output, so I'm guessing it is running on low in both modes for some reason.

Johan

jspeybro

Enlightened
I just did and measured 50mA both with High and Low mode so I guess the driver is toast... I don't see any damage though. I'll give it a closer look and see if I can find bad components and otherwise I'll see what I can do to replace it.

I didn't see any pictures of how you replaced the driver. Could you take a picture of that? did you re-use the switch mechanism and cut down the original driver?

sucnip

Newly Enlightened
I gutted the factory driver and only kept the switch. I cut traces on the PCB to avoid shorts. I used a DX driver modified for one mode. The driver you choose depends on the battery pack you want to run.