UK laser use? Whare to use?

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
Hi UK people's, Ordering my first Tmack in 3/4 weeks if Im lucky, if not soon after, however ware can I use it? I will order google's (Maby two show I can show it off to people) but its a 1W build? I had planned on useing it in my room with door locked so I dont blind the family, but, now bit worried that I wont be able to as Tmack said they can burn up to 3feet+??? I dont want to worry about setting alight to my bed/curatins/walls/pc screens ect ect or damge any of them (Im thinking lasers damage LCD screens? and also worried about burning my newly painted walls and all my furntiure!!!) I know I cant go outside and point it nito the sky as that will bring down some plane's and is illegal, and I pretty sure I cant use it in a public place like a recreation park as in the UK you cant carry a anything overt a 5Mw? (also there is the blinding risk to dog walkers ect) Bit stumped tbh I REALLY want one, but not sure whare i can use it? its purely for show I have no actual use for one other than, mine is better than ur ect ect, cheack this out cool or what!

Obijuan Kenobe

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you have figured out why you should be extremely wise and double think buying such a powerful laser.

If you live at home and you know your parents would never approve...not sure this is smart.

Your internet history already gave you away. And in the UK...my guess is this is taken quite seriously.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cannot even think of a reason why you need such a silly tool in the first place,as a UK AN Other like myself you are basically restricted to a presentation type laser pointer.If you were caught in public with such a toy you would be charged with carrying an offensive weapon maybe and catch a judge on the wrong day,imo you would be going down for a couple of months and your life is ruined for good.

ven

Flashaholic
From what i have read up the legal UK limit is 1mw so a 1000" of a W . Your not banned from owning but certainly care is required as you could (will) be prosecuted if in public and caught.
If in bed room the 1w is very overkill,why not get a more safer/less powerful build if thats the place of use. 1w will go for miles so aircraft is a big issue if shining up in the sky.

Research research research .............defo not a toy to give your mates a go!

Ideally a wide open area that is not full of dog walkers or private land .

Goes without saying goggles and for who ever is with you so more than 1 set...........

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
Sounds like you have figured out why you should be extremely wise and double think buying such a powerful laser.

If you live at home and you know your parents would never approve...not sure this is smart.

Your internet history already gave you away. And in the UK...my guess is this is taken quite seriously.

No no, you miss understand, I'd lock the door so they don't walk in and get blinded!! They won't mind me having a laser at all, I'm 19 lol, already have a knfie collection ect.

Nice comment on internet history! Both me and my dad work IT, so we both know that comments mistake, and also how to hide it ahaha, nice one though.

I just want to make sure I operate it in a manner that is safe to everyone and myself (unlike the ****s on fireworks night who go around shining them deliberately at drivers and people) my friend had a 200mw eBay special once and shinded it at my face, went apeshit at him, he now keeps it locked up and is very careful I with it after reading somemstorys...lol!

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
I cannot even think of a reason why you need such a silly tool in the first place,as a UK AN Other like myself you are basically restricted to a presentation type laser pointer.If you were caught in public with such a toy you would be charged with carrying an offensive weapon maybe and catch a judge on the wrong day,imo you would be going down for a couple of months and your life is ruined for good.

I'd not want to carry something like this round in public anyways...I have a knife collection, same thing, locked up indoors, I'm not a stupid teenager!!!

As for why I want it, why dose any of us want hipower torches or guns or knives, same reason only few of us really need such things, but we collect them anyways!

Please don't take this the wrong way but I ain't some irresponsible youth...quite the oppisit actually.

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
From what i have read up the legal UK limit is 1mw so a 1000" of a W . Your not banned from owning but certainly care is required as you could (will) be prosecuted if in public and caught.
If in bed room the 1w is very overkill,why not get a more safer/less powerful build if thats the place of use. 1w will go for miles so aircraft is a big issue if shining up in the sky.

Research research research .............defo not a toy to give your mates a go!

Ideally a wide open area that is not full of dog walkers or private land .

Goes without saying goggles and for who ever is with you so more than 1 set...........

Thank you, yes I might look into getting something lower power then and that way I can get some of the more expensive colours instead, I'll have to have a think, yes I second not giving it to mates, a great exsamole posted about my mate and some other idots I know above...

I'd just like to say again, I posted this to see what other laser enthusiasts in the UK did, I am well aware of the dangers of such devices and came here for suggestions, not to be treated like some guy who's gone oh that's cool and wants to go round shining it irresponsiblely, hopefully I have made that clear!

I'm Herr to learn about safe and responseble laser use that isn't just, don't use one. (I don't see why I should not be able to use one responsiblely)

If I didn't care about being safe why would I be asking St the end of the day!!!

P/s I am not having s go at anyone of you if it comes across like that!

ven

Flashaholic
Oh not saying irresponsible etc its sometimes good to state obvious like goggles that are right for the laser etc as a public forum anyone could read and presume its safe to use a 1w laser without any safety measures(just example there).

Sounds like you have it covered,just treat like a weapon(because it is potentially).

Tmack to name 1 will be able to offer great advice;)

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just noticed this thread, as it is a subject I too have considered. I have decided not to buy anything more powerful than the 50mW Green laser I already have, for several reasons.

50mW is already scary bright, and using even this power you are very aware of the possibility of accidental reflections. Indoor use is not really practical. When I tried some burning with this laser, I had to wear protective goggles, the result of which is that they blocked the beam so well I could barely make it out even though it is very bright. You do have to be very careful when using powerful lasers, and typically can only use them in the same way you would use a gun - in that you never aim it at anything you are not happy to destroy, you do not 'fire' it at anything you can't clearly see to be safe and with a safe backstop. The restrictions start to take the fun away. One thing I would have no problem doing however is to use it to star-point, as it is easy to see aircraft at night as they have to have flashing lights on them. You will never cause aircraft issues if you look out for where any might be (getting to know local flight paths) and never point it anywhere near them. If you stick to that rule you can have fun lighting up clouds, and pointing to stars. You can also safely use it in your own garden as long as you ensure the beam will not escape your boundary.

Is there a 'good' use for a powerful laser? For civilians, and as a 'play thing' - no. If you want one and are prepared to accept the risks to your own eyesight (believe me, you are the one at greatest risk) then you can play with it quite a bit.

If you get a laser which has various filters to create spots or lines, these reduce the energy going in any one direction and add another aspect to the light show you can create.

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
Thank you subwoofer some ingesting thoughts to mull over, I am deffintly going to start with something that is not so powerful, I may work my way up eventually, I think I will get something in s nice colour and put the money into colour over power, although I would still like one that can burn I will get one on the lower end of being able to burn St close range rather than having to worry about burning things further away.

I guess of you as you say treat it as a weapon and make sure there are no hazards in front of me I'll be all right, yes goggles are a must.

Latest posts