UK Light Cannon and NiMH?

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, not much help answering yor question, but a question of my own if I may....?

Ever since seeing those Light Cannons for the first time I have wanted one- being a fan of all types of lights, the short-arc metal halide technology it uses really interests me.

Anyway, where did you order yours from and do you know if they can ship overseas? Or if they don`t- anyone know of a UK based dealer I could order one and escape the inevitable customs import charge? Of course though, the price will inevitably be higher so it`ll still probably end up cheaper ordering from the states- isn`t it always the way....

thanks.

grin.gif

YeeDude

Newly Enlightened
I ordered mine today from Beacon Worldwide . One would hope with name like that they'd do international orders!
grin.gif
Unfortunately, they told me that I bought the last unit that they have in stock.

I know I've seen the light advertised on at least one British retailer's website. I'll see if I can find the page for you. I called the manufacturer yesterday and they told me that the lights are selling very very well and that even they don't know which retailers have them in stock...

Nice flashlight review page, BTW!
smile.gif

Gandalf

Enlightened
Try this website: http://www.aspencer1.com
Click on the upper left of home page for NiMH batteries. They have 4500 mAH NiMH C cells for $6.75/ea. Not cheap
mad.gif
, but not too far out of line.....
shocked.gif

They have lots of chargers, as well. They seem to carry mostly AA and AAA stuff; a hugh selection of varying capacities, with and without chargers.

Eveready makes a 3 hr. charger that holds 4 AAA/AA/C/D/9 volt(2) NiCD/NiMH (manual switchable); I saw it on the site, but can't remember the price. I bought one at Target for around $14
rolleyes.gif
Good luck, and I'm loking forward to your review of this new light!
I hope the unique lamp will 'fire' on 1.2 volt cells. Might want to check this before you buy the NiMH batteries
cool.gif

YeeDude

Newly Enlightened
Gandalf: Thanks for the referral to the ASpencer1 website. That's definitely a better deal than the $10/each price for the Nexcell brand batteries with the same rated capacity.

Can anyone confirm that NiMH C-cells will make the Light Cannon function normally?

Brock?!?
grin.gif

Based on my casual research thus far, I'm thinking it should work fine because the ni-cad power pack from UK's C8R dive light is supposed to fit/function in the Light Cannon as well.

A quick persual of the UK site reveals that the C8R's battery pack is composed of eight 2.8 AH Nicad C-cells.

FWIW, Beacon also sells the Light Cannon with the UK charger and battery pack for $350, or $150
shocked.gif
more than for the light alone. Here's a direct link for those who might be interested.

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
HI Yee Dude,

I have had the light cannon on order since the first of June and finally received confirmation from UK that the light will finally be shipping this Friday.

Now during the last seven weeks, I have had lots of opportunity to "investigate" the matter of recharagable batteries and the light cannon.

Bottom line, with the UK battery pack, expect between 1 1/2 - 2 hours run time instead of 3-4 hours with akaline.

Have no clue what to expect with NiMH and I am very anxious to know your results.

Brock

Flashaholic
YeeDude I wish I had the answer. I am really tempeted to get the LC but haven't yet. If I did I would probably run renewals in it, they should work for sure. I would bet Ted has heard right that NiMH should run about 1.5 hours though. It does have a step up and a regulator in the light so it will just shut off when the batteries drop to low in voltage.

I would sure like to know for sure from someone who has one and tries it in person though.

YeeDude

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered a UK Light Cannon (the HID lamped unit for those who haven't been keeping abreast of such things
smile.gif
)and was wondering if running rechargable NiMH C-cells in it would be practical.

I've been looking around for the best high capacity NiMH C-cell battery deal and have thus far found the following:

Cheap Batteries is selling 4000mAH units under their own label for $7 each. The UK uses 8 batteries so this works out to (no duh) $56 plus shipping.

Sunn Battery sells Nexcell 4500mAH units for $10 each. ($80 plus shipping - sheesh!)

Anyone have a source for a better bang-for-buck? I'm also going to need to get a charger (or two) to power up these buggers.

Thanks.

YeeDude

Newly Enlightened
Hmm... Ya want me to be guinea pig, eh? Sheesh!
grin.gif

Hmm... Let's see, 8 batteries @ $6.75 each plus two chargers at $15 each plus shipping comes out to about $100. Call me silly, but I'm hesitant to spend that kind of money for power that may or may not work well for the light!
smile.gif

I spoke briefly with UK yesterday and they tell me the 2.8 mAH C8R ni-cad power pack will run the light for about 2 hours straight. Since the Ni-MH batteries have a rated capacity of 4.5 mAH, can one assume that (at least on paper) they'll last 1.6 times longer - or just over 3 hours?

I know Ni-MH batteries drain differently than ni-cads and so this may prove to be really bad assumption on my part.

Oh well, I guess I'll just play with the darned thing for a while until I get more definitive answer about running Ni-MH's in it.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I am not sure you WILL get a definitive answer. As I understand it, this application requires a high current flow. NiCds will deliver more current than comparable NiMHs.

You may well find your expensive NiMH batteries just don't deliver enough current.

Walt

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
HI Walt,

I have the light and motion hid underwater water video lights, powered by NiM batteries

HID Lights

I am hoping the LC100 will be my back-up. My other u/w lights use lead acid batteries, and I can tell you they are no fun to travel with

YeeDude

Newly Enlightened
Hmm... Interesting.

FWIW, my Turbocat bicycle headlight system runs a NiMH battery pack that overdrives 32 watt lamps (12 + 20) to effectively (so they claim) put out the equivalent output of 44 watts. (Don't know if this proves anything or not as the lamps aren't HID...)

P.S.
I'd like to take this opportunity to say that it's an honor to be in the presence of "St Walter, The Illuminated"
grin.gif