UKE 2AAA, Princeton Tec 2AAA & 4AAA, SureFire E1, UKE 2L

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the Princeton Tec Blast & Rage so cheap on campmor.com (close to wholesale), I decided to pick 'em up and see where they fit.

UKE 2AAA side-by-side: Bright small hot spot that's a bit spider-shaped. Due to the clear bezel, plenty of light leaks out from the sides, which could be good or bad.

Princeton Tec 2AAA Blast: What an impressive little light! Bigger lamp assembly than the UKE 2AAA (more on this later). Slightly bigger, brighter, and smoother hot spot than the UKE 2AAA. In addition, there's an inner-corona that's pretty large, at ~1/3 brightness of the hot spot, and then the regular corona. This light isn't too far off in total light output from the E1! At $5, 1/10 the price of the E1.

Surefire E1: Typical Surefire "tactical" light pattern, very tight very bright and smooth (although mine has one dark spot) hotspot, surrounded by a uniformed-color corona. The hotspot is brighter and smoother than the Blasts, and total light output is greater, but not by as much as I thought it'd be! Note though that I've been using the E1 a bit, and the battery isn't quite new, unlike the others in this test group.

Princeton Tec 4AAA Rage: Damn good light output! I assume the Rage's lamp assembly is supposed to look like the Blast's: hot spot, bright inner corona, dimmer outer corona. But my lamp assembly has blended the hot spot and inner corona into one big, pretty bright, not-too-smooth hot spot, surrounded by the corona. In fact, in pure candlepower measurements, my Rage isn't as bright as the smaller Blast or E1 -- however, measured in lumens, it is definitely a step up. Although I'd rather have the hotspot/inner-corona/outer-corona behavior, my Rage is growing on me. Indoors, the extremely broad beam lights up a whole room. For comparison, when all the lights above have about an 8"-12" hot spot, my Rage's giant hotspot is about 48"! Shining the E1 and Rage across the street at my neighbor's boat, the E1's tight beam would brightly light up the wheel of the trailer that the boat is sitting on, while the Rage would light up (more dimly) the entire boat, top-to-bottom and front-to-back! I wish the beam was smoother, but I'm starting to like it, since I already have plenty of tight-beam lights. I get the feeling that my Rage is an anomaly though, or indicative of a quality control problem.

UKE 2L: Still the winner here, big bright hot spot, not as smooth as the Blasts or E1s but not so bad either.

Commentary:

I divide lights of this size into 4 categories, which are increasing probability that I'll have the light on me:

1. Carryable on a keychain (e.g., photon): none tested.

2. Comfortably carryable in the watch pocket of my jeans: UKE 2AAA. Because of this, it will probably get much more carry than the Blast, even though the Blast is a more impressive light.

3. Comfortably carryable in the pockets of my jeans or dockers: Blast and E1. Because I have the E1 already, I'll probably give the Blast to my stepdaughter. However, the fact is, at 1/10 the price, the Blast is not a bad choice for a small bright light for those that don't want to spend a lot.

4. Comfortably carryable in a jacket pocket or fanny pack: UKE 2L and Rage. I'll likely give the Rage to my wife, and I think it'll make an excellent trail light and general use light. I'll hold onto the 2L, I like the lithium batteries and the brightness. I very much like both these lights, although I wonder if I got a bad lamp assembly on my Rage.

Joe
[email protected]

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Joe Talmadge on 10-05-2000 at 11:26 AM</font>

Size15's

Flashaholic
Thanks for the write up.

It is important to use new batteries in all the flashlights you compare. I assume the E1 is smaller then the 2AAA flashlights at 3.3" ???

All batteries are at their best for only 5-15 minutes from brand new away.

If you could do some photo shots like Brock, That'd be great.

I'm looking at the UKE 4AA to add to my StealthLites. I'd like to see a pic of the Princeton Tec 4AAA Rage beam next to a StealthLite or UKE 4AA to see the difference.

Thanks Again!

Alastair

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Size15s:
Thanks for the write up.

It is important to use new batteries in all the flashlights you compare. I assume the E1 is smaller then the 2AAA flashlights at 3.3" ???<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed about the importance of using new batteries. However, since I did do a test with most of these lights just two weeks ago, where all lights did have brand new batteries, I really do know where the E1 fits. The ordering is still correct, but the E1 probably has a bit more of an edge on the Blast than I had described.

Don't know about the measurements offhand, I'll have to compare them at home. The UKE is definitely the shortest, and I think the Blast is still shorter than the E1.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
If you could do some photo shots like Brock, That'd be great.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brock's photos are invaluable. Unfortunately, I don't have a digital camera, nor even the bit of technical photography skill necessary to figure out how to get a good shot with a traditional camera of a flashlight beam. Anyone want to help?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
I'm looking at the UKE 4AA to add to my StealthLites. I'd like to see a pic of the Princeton Tec 4AAA Rage beam next to a StealthLite or UKE 4AA to see the difference.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unfortunately, I lost my UKE 4AA last year, so can't compare directly. However, from memory, it was about as bright as the UKE 2L, and the UKE 2L is a reasonably healthy step up from the Rage. I'm sorry I can't quantify this better than "reasonably healthy", but the difference is definitely noticeable.

Joe

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Joe Talmadge on 10-06-2000 at 09:24 AM</font>

Size15's

Flashaholic
Thanks, that's more useful info.
It's a shame you don't have a scanner...

Looks like Brock will have to compare EVERY flashlight EVER to Every other flashlight!!
smile.gif

No pressure or anything
grin.gif

I wouldn't expect the E1 to compare to a 2 DL123A flashlight. Not when it's trying to last 90 minutes or something. I hope SureFire will bring out a high intensity lamp module for the E1 (35 Lumens for 15 minutes?) They're calling the E1 Lamp "MN01" and the E2 lamp "MN02" apparently, so I doubt they'll do another lamp for the E1.

Brock

Flashaholic
I keep thinking of taking more images of all the different lights. I guess I will sooner or later. I just got my E1 and like it a lot, but it is dimmer than any of the 2 cell lithium lights, but brighter than the 2 cell alkaline lights.

I am really hoping surefire comes out with a double intensity for the E1. I would gladly give up some run time for the extra light. Even if it were around the 60 lumens of the 6P line. The punch of light from a light that size would be great.

Brock

<FONT COLOR="#000000" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">This message has been edited by Brock on 10-08-2000 at 10:24 AM</font>

Size15's

Flashaholic
So maybe if we all ask SureFire VERY nicely, they'll consider it!

3.3" 2.2oz 50 Lumens for 10 minutes

WOW!

I'd carry a couple DL123As in my pocket (so easy to forget 'bout 'em 'cos they're so light!) to reload my SUPERCHARGED E1!

Seriously Brock, your photos are great. I don't want you to feel under any pressure to get more flashlight to perform more comparision tests or anything...
grin.gif

Alastair.

P.S.
It's great you're happy with your E1. How about a photo?! PLEASE!

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire already seemed to rule out a brighter lamp for the >E1 -- at least, they claim to have no current plans forone. I'd love one, too. As much brightness as they could pack into 30 minutes of runtime would be great.

Bucky

Enlightened
I think a high output lamp for the E1 would be a good idea as well. Maybe it is just me, but I am generally more concerned with brightness and output rather than runtime. I will take a brighter light for fewer minutes any time. That is why I have held off on the E1 so far.

I know that the E1 is really cool and I would like to have one, but it is hard to spend $55+ for a single cell 123A light when the Scorpion from what I have heard is much brighter and costs much less. If a high output bulb was added, that might make it a must-have. So add me to the list of people that want a brighter lamp offered for the E1. Even without that though, I may have to get an E1 anyway just because it looks so cool.

For the people that have an E1, have you been happy with how bright it is for a single cell 123A light?

Bucky

D

**DONOTDELETE**

When is Surefire going to turn up production on the E1? I have emailed 2 online retailers and they said they are sold out and it will take months to get new ones from Surefire.