Ultra Stinger Questions

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
I've just spent the better part of 2-hours reading dozens of messages concerning the Ultra Stinger, however I still have questions that will influence my purchasing decision.

1. What's the best place on-line to purchase the US? Price is important, but I want to ensure I get the latest version/revision of the light. I don't want someone selling me 2-year old stock.
2. Currently owning a SureFire M3 with the turbo-head, along with the N90 lamp assembly, would I still have any use for the US?
3. How is beam quality and throw of the US compared to my M3T?
4. Since this would be only my 2nd rechargable light, I'm curious as to whether or not the US holds a charge for very long. For example, if I charge the light and it sits on a shell unused for 30-days, can I expect full power when I hit the trigger?
5. How does the SF rate at it relates to its water resistance and shock capabilities?

Whatever insight, comments or suggestions you can give me would be appreciated.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
4. Since this would be only my 2nd rechargable light, I'm curious as to whether or not the US holds a charge for very long. For example, if I charge the light and it sits on a shell unused for 30-days, can I expect full power when I hit the trigger?

Nimhs discharge themselves completely in about 30 days. Nicds should do a bit better? Maybe 2 months? Just my 2 cents.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
AGR has them for $104.00 Shipped with both chargers. I just bought one and it was the newest model. I have a D3 with SRTH Turbo head and N2 and there spot is close D3 maybe a little more reach US more light spill to light a larger area. US can live on the charger so it will always be ready. I would say it comes down to running cost and how important that is to you.

Big Tex

Enlightened
I will agree with jtivat on running cost. The SRTH did wonders for my D-3 and I really like it but I usually just grab the US off the charger.

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the US have a vent in case of battery gassing out - that could be a weakness in it's waterproofing. Otherwise, the Millennium series of SF lights is waterproof. I think you can trust the M3's shock-resistance. The SF level of fine engineering is unmatched.

The SRTH and the Millennium Turbohead seem to give different results, so you need a direct comparison really.

As to running costs - there can't be any comparison - really !

Jahn

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I charge the light and it sits on a shell unused for 30-days, can I expect full power when I hit the trigger?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I have left mine unused for three weeks and had apparent full power.
As far as shock goes, mine has fallen four feet landing on concrete at a 45 deg angle on the head and the light still worked although it now has a nice sized ding on the rim of the bezal.
btw, as it was falling, I was wondering what brightguy charges for a bulb.

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dana,
I accidentally dropped my N2, (just the LA alone) from 4', onto concrete.
While it was falling, I had time to think "MRSP $Twenty-six Ninety-nine, MRSP $Twenty-six Ninety-nine" over and over again.
Of course - it would have to hit tip first, at the most vulnerable point.
And it just made a quiet "pop*.

That felt bad ......

Jahn

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jahn, sorry to hear about the death of your LA. I was having some other thoughts also as my US was falling but I cannot post them here.

bmsmith

Enlightened
lightlover, the US does have a vent at the center of the tailcap. It's a small hole about 1mm in diameter and on the inside there is a very small white piece of.... something.... covering the hole. Perhaps it's superdense foam or something that allows air to escape for venting purposes, but doesn't let water in. ??

I would never let my US go underwater, but I'd have no fear of taking it out into the rain if necessary.

To stay on topic, I got my US from AZ Gunrunners off eBay earlier this year. It is serial #014054 and is the old style head. I don't leave my US on the charger 24/7 since I agree with JoeyL about battery lifetime reduction if I did this. I also get at least 30 minutes of bright light after a month off the charger.

I just wish Streamlight would start using RC2400 cells for their battery packs.

- Brian

JoeyL

Enlightened
Hello!
I have both lights and I can answer some of the questions.

The US is a good light. I cant tell if I have a newer one or not. The beam quality is excellent at tightest focus. In fact, it is better than the M3T with the 125 lumen lamp, because of the very oval beam. (You said you have a N90 lamp. Isn't that for the 9N rechargable?)

BUT with the 225 lumen lamp, the M3T is a wonder. The beam is better, brighter and rounder and distinctly more light than the US. But it only lasts 20 minutes or so. On the other hand, it's a lot smaller and lighter.

So, since I dont have an unlimited battery budget, I find myself reaching for the US for around the home duties, and taking the M3T on trips for easier carry in case I need a bright light.

Also, I have left the light off the charger on purpose for a month and find at least 30 minutes of light still present. On a full charge, the battery is at 7.3 volts. After a month, it is about 6.2 volts. When it gets dim to my eyes, it is about 5.8 volts or so. I have to admit, it's really a lot better right off the charger. But I don't leave it connected all the time. The manual says it is ok to do so, but it just seems that it would eventually cut battery lifetime.

Anyway, good luck!