Ultrafire C3 Multi-stage vs Single-stage (14500/3AA ADDED): RUNTIMES, pics!

g_lover

Newly Enlightened
Mine, bought on Nov 2nd 2007 is different from both examples. It has a reflector like the new one, a different light pill and a switch like the old one but a different colour. It has no O ring at the front end.

Will add pics later.

Donald

hmmm...

I think we have the same one then actually.
My light module does look different. Like i said in my previous post, no bezel o-ring here either. Reflector is the one on the right in bessiebenny's picture no. 2

And the retaining ring holding the switch is silver, though the spring is still gold and the rest of it all matches the switch on the left in picture no. 1

No major differences i don't think, except for the light engine...

No camera, so i can't take any pics.

sandos

Newly Enlightened
I have a "new" multi-stage 5-mode.

I had to add solder to the PCB to make better contact with (mostly, but also the battery) the middle short tube. This fixes my flickering and random mode switches.

It is still flickering though if I really jostle it, its just that now I can use this on my handlebars (and I do some occasional rouch riding even when commuting) without it switching modes and/or sudden intensity changes.

I think it might be the actual driver being glitchy, since the pressure both for the battery and tube should be pretty high now after my mods and contact more than sufficient.

RGB_LED

Enlightened
Looks like the C3 lottery continues... I picked up the C3 + 2AA extension tube this past summer and here are some quick obsevations:

- Runs brighter with 2AA tube vs. 1AA
- Runs brighter with 14500 vs. 1AA
- Also runs really warm when left on for 10 minutes on HIGH
- 5-mode with memory :thumbsup:
- Black rubber boot that protrudes slightly (cannot tail-stand)
- Threads were gritty and a little uneven
- There appeared to be some light lubrication on the o-rings but not enough as they were already beginning to fall apart when I received the light

There were several versions to choose from the DX site when I purchased this so it was difficult to wade through all of the versions but I know that I wanted to run 14500 and for it to have a memory mode. I will try to check the tailcap / bezel this evening to compare to bessiebenny's observations.

[Additional comments]:
Just took the light apart and there was no o-ring in the bezel, it also has the new (not as good) reflector and switch...:(. Oh well. At least it provided me with an opportunity to clean the plastic lens and lube the threads and o-rings.

Last edited:

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like the C3 lottery continues... I picked up the C3 + 2AA extension tube this past summer and here are some quick obsevations:

- Runs brighter with 2AA tube vs. 1AA
- Runs brighter with 14500 vs. 1AA
- Also runs really warm when left on for 10 minutes on HIGH
- 5-mode with memory :thumbsup:
- Black rubber boot that protrudes slightly (cannot tail-stand)
- Threads were gritty and a little uneven
- There appeared to be some light lubrication on the o-rings but not enough as they were already beginning to fall apart when I received the light

There were several versions to choose from the DX site when I purchased this so it was difficult to wade through all of the versions but I know that I wanted to run 14500 and for it to have a memory mode. I will try to check the tailcap / bezel this evening to compare to bessiebenny's observations.
I recieved the single mode C3 from DX yesterday. Unlike the original C3 it is brighter on 2xAA vs 1AA :thinking:. Its the same brightness as an L2D Q5 on high (not turbo).

It does tailstand but the lanyard makes it unsteady as there is only one hole in the tailcap for it.

Over all its of better quality than my C3 5-mode but still not great, it should make a decent gift for somebody.

tedshred

Newly Enlightened
Just received my Ultrafire C3 with the 1-mode reverse clicky, but it can tail stand just like the Mulit-stage clicky. $14.46.

Only problem is the light flutters a bit if the sections are not firmly screwed in. I may need to remove a little material from one of the male middle sections.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my DX Ultrafire C3 6 mode and I think it works as advertised. Not sure how it measures up to the single mode, but I like the memory and a low mode. Was there ever a run-time test on the low using NIMH for the multi Mode C3? I couldn't find one via the search feature.

Latest posts