Ultrafire LED bulb not centered

Jam-bro

Newly Enlightened
I know I should have not bought one of these, but for $11, I just pulled the trigger. Got an Ultrafire WF-502B from Fasttech and the LED is not centered with the reflector. Actually, it is almost touching the reflector on one side. Is this a problem? Will it cause the emitter to fail prematurely?
Thnx
JB

RoGuE_StreaK

Enlightened
It shouldn't cause any failure, but the beam will suffer. Failure would only really come if it creates a short circuit on the top pads, or somehow the proximity increase the heat massively.
Are you sure it's the LED that's not centered, rather than the reflector sitting incorrectly? Unscrew the head etc and see what you can adjust, should be fairly easy to rectify.
Nothing wrong with buying 'em if they do the job. Also might be worth contacting fasttech with your complaint, who knows they may send you a free one!

Norm

Retired Administrator
Your photo isn't a true representation, as it isn't taken square on and accentuates the off centre appearance.

Norm

Skimo

Newly Enlightened
I would argue that showing it at that angle shows the LED being off centered quite well, it is massively off centered.

Options include, adjusting the PCB the LED is on, centering the reflector and closing it back up or simply ignore it.

To answer the original questions, yes it is a problem, but probably only for a flashaholic. No, it won't cause any damage.

John7Boy

Newly Enlightened
My Ultrafire C8 similar to yours also does not have orange peel/ rough reflector. I am assuming your torch runs on a single 18650 battery. Guess the led being quite off centre would perhaps distort spot round shape...a bit pear shaped but should still give good output for small everyday carry EDC flashlight. I have had success purchasing Ultrafire but only from high turnover ebay 99% plus sellers. Some of my purchases of XML T6 Ultrafire/SkyRay flashlights have been significantly overrated in brightness, and a couple definitely not T6 LEDs on a couple of unfortunate occasions.

Since being a close follower of some experts on this site I have been buying more reputable brands like Fenix and Nitecore - much happier, but probably still use my EDC Ultrafire C8 more than the other high output thrower and flood which make the neighbours nervous!

If your reflector gives you a very usable EDC -off centre does not matter!

John

mcorp

Enlightened
If it really bothers you that much, I'm quite sure the fasttech staff would be more than helpful to assist you where necessary :)

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I would say is '$11 - do you really expect perfect LED centring?'

You could always dismantle it and see if screwing the reflector back onto the pill carefully will improve it. I've also used lights with off centre LEDS and the beam has been fine. For this amount of money, use it or bin it.

Re-reading your OP - no it is not a real problem, and won't affect the lifespan of this cheap light. I would expect the tail-cap switch or driver to fail before the LED does.

Last edited:

Jam-bro

Newly Enlightened
This is for Norm. Photo looks centered to me, the LED, not so much...

Last edited:

Jam-bro

Newly Enlightened
It shouldn't cause any failure, but the beam will suffer. Failure would only really come if it creates a short circuit on the top pads, or somehow the proximity increase the heat massively.
Are you sure it's the LED that's not centered, rather than the reflector sitting incorrectly? Unscrew the head etc and see what you can adjust, should be fairly easy to rectify.
Nothing wrong with buying 'em if they do the job. Also might be worth contacting fasttech with your complaint, who knows they may send you a free one!

Thnx. I did unscrew the reflector from the led and it is definitely off-center. I was just wondering if it would affect longevity or heat accumulation. Sent Fasttech an email as well. ;-)

I would argue that showing it at that angle shows the LED being off centered quite well, it is massively off centered.

Options include, adjusting the PCB the LED is on, centering the reflector and closing it back up or simply ignore it.

To answer the original questions, yes it is a problem, but probably only for a flashaholic. No, it won't cause any damage.

Hehe, only to a flashaholic!! Working on my degree at Flashaholic Univ... Not sure if I want to mess with the LED yet. I have 2 more lights coming my way. Don't want to be in the dark. Hehe.

If it really bothers you that much, I'm quite sure the fasttech staff would be more than helpful to assist you where necessary :)

Done! Thnx

What I would say is '$11 - do you really expect perfect LED centring?'

You could always dismantle it and see if screwing the reflector back onto the pill carefully will improve it. I've also used lights with off centre LEDS and the beam has been fine. For this amount of money, use it or bin it.

Re-reading your OP - no it is not a real problem, and won't affect the lifespan of this cheap light. I would expect the tail-cap switch or driver to fail before the LED does.

Thnx

ChrispyCritter

Newly Enlightened
If you took it apart you probably can center it..looks like the ceramic disk is just not put in there correctly..just be careful not to force it to move if it doesn't move kind of easily.

RoGuE_StreaK

Enlightened
As an aside, the top electrical contacts I mentioned previously can be seen better in the new photo; they are on the side opposite the close contact, so no concerns about short circuit from touching the reflector. Keep it in mind when moving the MCPCB though.

Hard to tell from either photo, but is there a hint of the reflector being off-center at the bezel? Might just be an angle thing, but worth checking.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow, I've never seen one that far off.

Yes... that's ENORMOUSLY off center. Immediately obvious from both pictures.

I wouldn't bother complaining to Fastech about it. It's a budget light so this kind of thing is expected. Just unscrew the bezel, pull off the lens and reflector and then slide the star (that's the little round board with the LED on it) into position in the center. Reassemble, and you're done. Entire fix should take less than a minute.

When pushing the star into position try not to touch the emitter dome. It may be helpful to use a small screwdriver or toothpick to push it into position rather than your finger.

If you have soldering skills, one thing you might want to do is desolder one of the wires to the star and then lift the star up to look underneath. If it's completely dry it would be a good idea to spread a thin layer of thermal grease underneath. I prefer Arctic Silver 5.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
That won't cause it to fail. But honestly.... It's an Ultrafire.

No sarcasm intended at all, the light is likely to fail on its own in a few weeks.

Solarforce is a much better budget-light alternative over Ultrafire.

Jam-bro

Newly Enlightened
If you took it apart you probably can center it..looks like the ceramic disk is just not put in there correctly..just be careful not to force it to move if it doesn't move kind of easily.

Will try it... Waiting on a couple of lights.

Wow, it actually looks worse now. I agree that it can probably be centered if you unscrew the reflector and nudge the mcpcb over a bit. They are usually only stuck down with heat paste, not glue.

It gets hot after about 10 min, should I try to move it then?

As an aside, the top electrical contacts I mentioned previously can be seen better in the new photo; they are on the side opposite the close contact, so no concerns about short circuit from touching the reflector. Keep it in mind when moving the MCPCB though.

Hard to tell from either photo, but is there a hint of the reflector being off-center at the bezel? Might just be an angle thing, but worth checking.

reflector is pretty much centered...

Yes... that's ENORMOUSLY off center. Immediately obvious from both pictures.

I wouldn't bother complaining to Fastech about it. It's a budget light so this kind of thing is expected. Just unscrew the bezel, pull off the lens and reflector and then slide the star (that's the little round board with the LED on it) into position in the center. Reassemble, and you're done. Entire fix should take less than a minute.

When pushing the star into position try not to touch the emitter dome. It may be helpful to use a small screwdriver or toothpick to push it into position rather than your finger.

If you have soldering skills, one thing you might want to do is desolder one of the wires to the star and then lift the star up to look underneath. If it's completely dry it would be a good idea to spread a thin layer of thermal grease underneath. I prefer Arctic Silver 5.

I emailed them and they said "NO" and something else that I half understood... Hehe. It gets hot after about 10 min, should I try to move it then? Would tweezers work ok? Not gonna solder it, hehe! But thnx for the info...
Here is the Fasttech email response... Have to share it...

Private communications removed as per rule 12. - Norm

I am afraid they can't replace me either. Lol

That won't cause it to fail. But honestly.... It's an Ultrafire.

No sarcasm intended at all, the light is likely to fail on its own in a few weeks.

Solarforce is a much better budget-light alternative over Ultrafire.

Thnx... Like I said before, $11, ehhh pull the trigger. Got a L2N on the way...

Last edited by a moderator:

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
And just to be clear, you will be moving the large, white covered metal thing that the LED sits on top of. The LED is soldered to the white MCPCB, but the white MCPCB is often just sitting freely on top of the flashlight "pill", or held in place with some grease. If the MCPCB isn't easily movable, then you may want to explore trying again after it has warmed up. If you get it close enough, the reflector should center itself using that white plastic bit that is around the LED.

502b is still a drop-in host, right? You might even explore saving up for another LED drop-in to try. It's nice to have several different types, one for lotsa lumens, one for nice warm tint, etc..