UltraFire zoomable 7W Cree LED flashlight...

teestow

Newly Enlightened
Bought this on ebay, it came with 2 UltraFire 18650 li-ion cells (operates on a single 18650), 12v and 110v charger that plugs directly into the flashlight body. It is a very bright light, comparable in output to my Skilhunt X-1 although not nearly as sexy. The runtime is poor on high, maybe 15 minutes or so on the high setting. I have searched for a model number of this light, or one that looks similar to it, but so far have been unsuccessful. Is the Q5 the model number? I am trying to determine the input voltage limit for operation. My question is this; would this light run longer with 2 - cr123 cells if the operating voltage is acceptable? Would a better quality 18650 be beneficial? I have read several posts regarding lack of quality with UltraFire batteries, and I do have a Lighthound account as I have ordered from them previously. Is this a "budget light"? Would my thread have been better suited for that forum? I apologize if it should have been there.

Here are a few pictures, anyone recognize the model? Is there knock off UltraFire flashlights out there?

ultra2.jpg

ultra3.jpg

ultra1.jpg

ultra4.jpg

Thank you in advance for any information provided.

Troy.

PapaLumen

Enlightened
The Q5 is probably the led ie cree xr-e q5.

Those red ultrafires are garbage. I would go for a decent battery ie AW or similar.
Dont know the input voltages accepted by this light, if its up to 4.2v then 2x cr123 is a no. If more then they are a possibility. 15 mins for an xr-e on an 18650 is way short, if you get some better batteries then worth testing how charged they are after charging in the light - measure voltage.

Got a link to where you bought it?

teestow

Newly Enlightened
The Q5 is probably the led ie cree xr-e q5.

Those red ultrafires are garbage. I would go for a decent battery ie AW or similar.
Dont know the input voltages accepted by this light, if its up to 4.2v then 2x cr123 is a no. If more then they are a possibility. 15 mins for an xr-e on an 18650 is way short, if you get some better batteries then worth testing how charged they are after charging in the light - measure voltage.

Got a link to where you bought it?
you bet, got it here.... http://www.ebay.ca/itm/180728699064?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_4186wt_952

I
have charged the other 18650 that came with it and will give it a go to see if it is the fault of the first 18650 that I put in. Thank you for your response.

PapaLumen

Enlightened
As they dont mention input voltages it would be taking a chance with 2x cr123 (6v), up to you but you may fry the driver/led.

Did you charge the second 18650 in the light? Would be handy to see what voltage it was fully charged. I assume you charged the first 18650 before your 15min trial? They dont usually come fully charged. Anyway, as i said, those are garbage. You should get well over 1hr, prob more like 2hrs+.

teestow

Newly Enlightened
I plugged it in when I got it home the first time to let it fully charge. The charger has a light on it that is green when not plugged into the flashlight, when charging it turns red and you can see it gradually turning green as it reaches full charge. I think I will just order a few AW 18650's and a proper charger for them from Lighthound, I figured it should last a bit longer than 15 mins. Thanks for your help!

PapaLumen

Enlightened
No probs.
Get yourself a cheap multimeter if you dont have one. Can be had for $5, important when checking batteries and would help see what the inbuilt charger is up to.