UltraStinger Accessories?

ReconTech

Newly Enlightened
I'm getting a US, what accessories should I get? How long does it need to charge? Can it sit on the charger? Battery memory?

Different bulbs? Different batteries? What is out there, as I read the archives...

And what is the date ranges on the serial numbers?

Any websites with reviews of the ultrastinger?

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too many questions! Seriously, There isn't too many assceesories available, i.e. filters, etc.

You can get a fast charger (2.5 hr recharge time) or the standard charger (10hr recharge time). Both chargers allow the light to sit in the cradle in "trickle" mode. Don't worry about battery mamory, there is no such effect, it's like the urban legend of Ni-Cads.

The newest US's have the revised reflector assembly, with the change coming over a year ago.

--dan

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by dano:

Don't worry about battery mamory, there is no such effect, it's like the urban legend of Ni-Cads.
--dan
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Can you validate this?

Having worked extensively in the cellular telephone industry (for 10 years) I can say with 100% confidence that not only do Ni-Cads suffer from "the memory effect" but Ni-MH batteries do too, but to a lesser extent. The difference is that Ni-MH batteries can usually always "recover" from memory problems buy cycling them, wereas Ni-Cd's usually don't recover from the memory effect caused by short cycling.

I must admit I don't know much about rechargable flashlight batteries, they might not be nearly as prone to memory problems as cellular telephone batteries.

The bottom line is that in general I wouldn't worry about memory problems with your Ultastinger, but I would be hesitant to think that keeping it on the charger for months at a time will not result in some ill effects.

rlhess

Enlightened
Sean,

I'll go out on a limb here...

Memory in NiCds was documented early on in the space program where cells were discharged to precisely the same level each time. This is rarely if ever reproduced in a consumer application.

What is often called "memory" especially when cells do NOT recover from it, is merely over-charging the cell for an extended period, i.e. "cooking" the cell.

Most NiCds die from over-charging, at least that is what my research into this has told me.

NiMHs and Li-ions are better, and chargers have become smarter.

Cheers,

Richard

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would agree with that.
smile.gif

Overcharging is most probably the cause of rgw faulty batteries I have encountered.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I said "mamory"...I'm a goof...Anyways, the above post has it pretty-much correct...Nicads (or the more correct Nicds)do not like to be overcharged, and that kills the cell...

--dan

ReconTech

Newly Enlightened
Aside from brightguy, anywhere else to find parts/accessories? I need to replace the lexan lens, and get a few bulbs..

serial number is in 035xx range...new or old?

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a really early model. It probably has a smooth reflector. I bought a Stinger HP upgrade set, and used that head on my US, as it has a partially stipled reflector, and gives a better beam. The newest US's have a different head/thread set up.

--dan

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
What? Is there yet another version of the US? I thought the model with the threads on the outside of the body was the latest version. Thanks for any input.

Regarding the reflector, my "old" US reflector was fully textured, and I had no problem with it. That is until I picked up the Stinger HP with its partially stipled reflector...the beam from the HP reached much farther than the US. I switched the heads, and was blown away by the difference in the reach of the US.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Textured is o.k. I have a very early US, and the reflector is smooth...Anyways, the outside threads is the latest generation...So SL told me...

--dan

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah...finally the question i've been wanting to be answered...shame on my for not asking earlier.

I know of 3 different reflector types by what is being discussed on this board.
1) fully textured (like Surefire)
2) Textured near bulb and smooth for the rest.
3) Completely smooth.

I picked up a US from my local police equipment store and the reflector type was fully textured. All i can say is that i was unstisfied with it. THe reach was not what i expected. My dad's 6D maglight reached twice as far because of its narrower/tighter beam pattern. The reason i wanted the US was to beat my dad's 6D Mag. I found that the smooth reflector gave a beautiful, surefire-like, beam at ALL focus levels....but i wasn't buying it for a beautiful beam. I was buying it for power and reach.

If flashfan was "blown away" by the difference between the smooth reflector and smooth/tectured reflector, then that's the type of performance i was looking for in the US all along.

Luckily they accepted my return because it was 150 dollars and i was NOT satisfied. (And i didn't want to look wiered in that police store by asking if i can switch the reflectors. I'm ALWAYS in there looking at there flashlights)

ANyway...that's just my 2 cents on the different reflector types. If anyone can comment on the US vs. the 6D maglight i'd greatly appreciate it. I think Peter Gransee explained it well, that "light density is key."

P.S. ReconTech, i was just re-reading the posts and you said that you have the textured type reflector, and asked if you should be worried. I didn't mean to put down or degrade your flashlight, my decision for returning it was purely a flashaholic impulse for wanting the best. I returned it ONLY because of the reflector type...other than that, i would have kept the 150 dollar flashlight.

Anyways...this brings up another question for everyone. Do you think Streamlight has the reflectors for sale? I didn't see any in the accessories isle at the store. Do you think if i asked costumer service for a replacement textured/smooth reflector they would send me one?

RY3

Enlightened
Originally posted by LEDagent:
Luckily they accepted my return
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">When was that? I purchased my UltraStringer last month and it does have a "Texture near the bulb" type reflector.

I only have a 4 cells Maglite but according to the thread here....

I love it when a guy takes out his 6D Maglight and shows you how bright it is, and the stupid look he gets on his face when I shine my Ultrastinger.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Ron

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased my US a month ago too. It was the only box on the shelf that had a sticker saying "NEW". So i figured that i had the half textured and half smooth reflector...but it didn't. I thought i could live with it but couldn't...so i returned it.

I want the newest reflector type...that's all.

Ratso

Enlightened
I am amazed at Streamlights attention to detail. Looks like they found a good balance between beam quality and throw. I think that is very innovative and never realized that is why many flashlights are only partially faceted.

A couple of questions:
1. What is the difference between stipled and textured?
2. How much beam quality difference is there between the old fully textured and new half stipled reflectors?

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by LEDagent:
Anyways...this brings up another question for everyone. Do you think Streamlight has the reflectors for sale? I didn't see any in the accessories isle at the store. Do you think if i asked costumer service for a replacement textured/smooth reflector they would send me one?[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">My US is the completely textured and I would like the newer model so I e-mail Streamlight yesterday asking that very question. I will let you know there response.

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought that the 6D mag was rated at around 28-30k CP, while the US is rated at 75k cp? Since both companies are claiming their CP ratings, shouldn't the US be brighter.