UltraStinger vs. SL-20XP

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

I'd like to buy either the Streamlight SL-20XP (not to be confused with the heavier, and possibly brighter aluminum 20X) or the Ultrastinger. I was hoping to get some input about these lights from anyone who had used either, or both, or even the SL-20X.

When I was at the Streamlight website, the things that jumped out at me were: (1) the 75,000 CP on the US, and also (2) the stated run times of 60 minutes for the US and 90 minutes for the 20XP, 20X, and 35X. What is your experience with the run times? Is the 90 minutes accurate? How about the 60 min of the US? (For me, the extra 30 minutes of run time is a big selling point.)

Both the US and the SL-20XP are about one foot long and one pound heavy. Also they are about the same price. But how does their brightness compare? How much brighter is the US? And how about those run times? Any other considerations?

Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this topic! ;-)

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sickoutfit:
As far as brightness goes i believe they both use the same lamp, the 6volt 10watt jobber.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As Stephen pointed out, there are several versions of the SL-20:

SL-20x:
Machined aluminum anodized against corrosion inside and out; unbreakable polycarbonate lens.
10 watt, hard glass halogen pre-focused in spun reflector

SL-20xp (8 Watt):
Lightweight super tough polymer with non-slip, non-absorbent closed cell foam comfort grip; unbreakable polycarbonate lens.
8 watt, hard glass halogen pre-focused in spun reflector

SL-20XP (3 watt)
Lightweight super tough polymer with non-slip, non-absorbent closed cell foam comfort grip; unbreakable polycarbonate lens.
3 watt, hard glass halogen pre-focused in spun reflector

The UltraStinger has this bulb:
6.3 Volt, 10 watt, xenon-halogen gas filled bi-pin.

So, no, the UltraStinger does not have a bulb that is used in the SL-20 series.

I DO NOT have first hand experience on this, but I blieve that the UltraStinger has a tighter spot, hence giving it the larger candlepower.

Just for the record, I contacted Streamlight, and they told me that you can put the SL-35x bulb:
20 watt, hard glass halogen pre-focused in spun reflector
in the sl-20 series, but will get reduced battery life.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

As far as brightness goes i believe they both use the same lamp, the 6volt 10watt jobber. However the light output on the SL-20X peaks out at 30,000 vs. 75,000 with the US. If i had to choose i would go with the UltraStinger without hesitation. On Ebay "but it now" $79.99 all day long. Make sure you buy from a seller that is an authorized dealer thou incase you encounter problems down the road.

~Peace

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have used all three variations listed, 20XP, 20X and US...I swear by the Ultrstinger, it's my primary duty light. The 20XP is a very efficient package, though, and is very lightweight. I also use a 20X with a 35X lamp, and the brightness is fantastic, though runtime is about 40 minutes...I would suggest the US over the other two, mainly because it's a smaller package, and is a lot brighter than even the 35X...

--dan

D

**DONOTDELETE**

The Ultrastinger is capable of a much tighter spot than either the SL20 or SL35. It is also considerably lighter in weight that both; making it easier to carry for longer periods.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dano:
I have used all three variations listed, 20XP, 20X and US...I swear by the Ultrstinger, it's my primary duty light. The 20XP is a very efficient package, though, and is very lightweight. I also use a 20X with a 35X lamp, and the brightness is fantastic, though runtime is about 40 minutes...I would suggest the US over the other two, mainly because it's a smaller package, and is a lot brighter than even the 35X...

--dan
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dano,

Thanks for posting that. Someone who has used all versions of the SL-20, including the bulb from an SL-35x, recommends the US.

I WAS leaning towards the SL-20X, because I thought it put out more light, but at a shorter distance (like a flood light). I want to have a larger field of light, in the 200-300 foot range. However, your post is making me re-think my choice.

I don't want a tighter, longer reaching spot, I want a bigger spot in the 200-300 or so foot range. I realise that you loose range when your field of light is larger.

How big would you say the "hot spot" is at 200 feet with the UltraStinger?

Sorry if I am being a little redundant here, it is just that before I invest in something like the UltraStinger or the SL-20x, I want to make sure it is the right decision.

Thanks.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have US but I want to get a SL20 for different reason. Would anyone tell how its beam quality/pattern look like? Any rings? Whiteness?

I know it wouldn't be as good as US or SF. After having search the forum, I found many comments about MacCharger's light quality but no one has commented on SL-20 except saying it's bright.

I did consider its charger issue that Kogatana raised previously.

Any comment would be appreciated.

Alan

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Alan, I have the SL-35, SL-20X, and two UltraStingers. I have also tried the bulb for the 35 in the 20. All the aforementioned information has been in accord with my experience.

The beam on the SL units is very similar to the SureFires. Nice uniform, fairly wide central hot spot. In fact the width of the central hot spot is what leads people to believe that the US puts out more light than the 35 which isn't the case. The US does have a hotter, smaller, centeral spot when focused and its light is whiter.

The US has the same problems that the maglights have with the rings/dark areas, etc.

If you are not going stickly for throw distance, you might be happier with the SL-20. If you are going to be carring the light for long periods of time, you will probably be happier with the US.

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Henry Mudd

Another very descriptive post! Thank you.

Now I am leaning back toward the SL-20X. Bigger hot spot, shorter distances (not short, but shorter). I have 3, 8, 10 and 20 watt bulb options also.

So far, all the LEO people that I have met have Streamlights, and no one has a Sure Fire. All the securtiy at my Hospital are Houston Police Dept and they all use Streamlight, and my neighbor who is a Houston PD, also use Streamlight.

I am not saying anything bad about the Sure Fire, it just seems that everyone here has just rave reviews about the Sure Fire, but the people I come in contact with (that need a flashlight on a daily basis), do not use SF.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henry Mudd:
Alan, I have the SL-35, SL-20X, and two UltraStingers. I have also tried the bulb for the 35 in the 20. All the aforementioned information has been in accord with my experience.

The beam on the SL units is very similar to the SureFires. Nice uniform, fairly wide central hot spot. In fact the width of the central hot spot is what leads people to believe that the US puts out more light than the 35 which isn't the case. The US does have a hotter, smaller, centeral spot when focused and its light is whiter.

The US has the same problems that the maglights have with the rings/dark areas, etc.

If you are not going stickly for throw distance, you might be happier with the SL-20. If you are going to be carring the light for long periods of time, you will probably be happier with the US.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dennis

Newly Enlightened
Most LEO's I know carry Streamlight SL20X's as their main light and a some sort of Surefire 6p/6z as a backup. I carried a SL20X and then a 9NT for awhile but now I really like the US. The US Size/Performance/Cost cannot be beat. I think SureFires are awesome backup and tactical lights, but they still don't have anything to compete with Streamlight in the main duty light area. Even the 10x... You might want to check some of kogatana's posts on this subject.

My opinion, get the US. The SL20x is nice but old technology. The US is smaller, lighter, brighter, and cheaper...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Hey thanks for all the discussion on these lights! For me, it's a tough call, since I am enticed by the fact that that the SL-20XP supposedly runs 50% longer than the US. But that's just according to the Streamlight website -- I don't know if the US *really* is good for 60 minutes or if the SL series *really* does have a run time of 90 minutes, as Streamlight claims. Does anyone have any info on this? Thanks again for all the great input!

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Henry Mudd:
[QB
The beam on the SL units is very similar to the SureFires. Nice uniform, fairly wide central hot spot.
[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Henry, thanks for your information and that's exactly what I need:)

I do have an US and plan to get one more. Getting a SL is to make my collection on Streamlight more complete:)

Alan

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BuddTX:
... seems that everyone here has just rave reviews about the Sure Fire, but the people I come in contact with (that need a flashlight on a daily basis), do not use SF.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Budd, maybe you're just hanging out with the wrong kind of people ......

lightlover
grin.gif
grin.gif
rolleyes.gif
smile.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Streamlights advertised run times are pretty accurate. I used to be suspicious about them too, until I measured a few and found them to be right on.

Be cautious in making your judgement on the basis of what someone in a police department carries. Many of those are either mandated or provided by the department. That doesn't mean that they will be the best for what you wish to use them for.

SureFire produces a very fine product. I personnaly have two of the 9N's which I rotate/carry every day. I also rotate/carry two UltraStingers.

My SL-35x, sits at home. My SL-20 is in the tool box, and my Pelican M-11 is in the garage.

Velcro

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steven:
When I was at the Streamlight website, the things that jumped out at me were: (1) the 75,000 CP on the US, and also (2) the stated run times of 60 minutes for the US and 90 minutes for the 20XP, 20X, and 35X. What is your experience with the run times? Is the 90 minutes accurate? How about the 60 min of the US? (For me, the extra 30 minutes of run time is a big selling point.)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steven, some people on this forum have made their own battery pack(s) for the UltraStinger. The batteries they used added +- 30 minutes compared to the standard runtime. Here is a link.

Maybe this could help in your choice.

Greetings,
Velcro

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steven:
I don't know if the US *really* is good for 60 minutes or if the SL series *really* does have a run time of 90 minutes, as Streamlight claims. Does anyone have any info on this? Thanks again for all the great input!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The UltraStinger will typically run about 45 to 50 minutes in constant-on mode. A noticeable decrease in output will occur at the last 10 to 15 minutes. When used intermittently, you can expect to get more that 60 minutes of total usage. The SL-20 will run about 75-80 minutes constant-on. I have found that in the the last 10 minutes, the output becomes really yellow and dim but still usable. In intermittent usage, over 90 minutes.