UltraStinger vs. Z3/D3/C3

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm considering one of these lights. I know they are rated differently in their output.

Can someone who has both of these give me their opinions about which one is brighter? I'm also interested a smooth/high quality beam.

Beam shots/photos/other comparisons would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you have another light I'm overlooking, don't hesitate to tell me!

Thanks!

Size15's

Flashaholic
The UltraStinger is a rechargeable dutylight intended for longer range illumination.

The three cell SF123A SureFires are close-quarters tactical illumination tools.

The UltraStinger vs. three cell SF123A SureFire with KT2 TurboHead would be a better comparision in terms of beam range. The UltraStinger vs. 9ANT is SureFire's nearest model. I would say the Classic 9NT significantly better in terms of beam throw [compared to other SureFires] (but is long discontinued) The other SureFire alternative would be an 8AX with N5 lamp in a Steve Ryan TurboHead.

Al

Jim Brown

Newly Enlightened
Hmmm
As an owner of both the UltraStinger and a 9NT I can't agree with Size15s asessment. Between my two lights the US is significantly brighter for at least 15-20 minutes of intermittent use. After that the Surefire 9NT will outshine the U.S till the batteries give up. Brightness advantage to US and size advantage to Surefire.
Jim

BugLightGeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Al-
Isn't the KL2 the multiple LED accessory from SureFire? You're saying the throw for that is comprable to the UltraStinger?

I'm not familiar with the 9ANT. Got a link to the specs for it? I'm also not familiar with the 8AX or a Steve Ryan TurboHead.

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by ChrisM:
Al-
Isn't the KL2 the multiple LED accessory from SureFire? You're saying the throw for that is comprable to the UltraStinger?

I'm not familiar with the 9ANT. Got a link to the specs for it? I'm also not familiar with the 8AX or a Steve Ryan TurboHead.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I am sure he ment KT-2 Turbohead
tongue.gif

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by sunspot:
What is a Steve Ryan Turbohead?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It's actually the LPS Turbohead, Steve Ryan claimed
smile.gif
it was named after him (initials SRTH)

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
LPS hase them.
They are $105 with an N-2
or $85 with no lamp
They will fit all standard 2,3 and 4 cell lights you just need the right lamp.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Yes, I did mean KT2 rather then KL2
rolleyes.gif

Sorry guys!

I've also edited my post because I meant that the 9NT offers the tightest brightest beam throw of SureFires and in this respect can go up against the UltraStinger which has so I read, a tight beam (although I wasn't overwhelmed at SS2002)
In all fairness, I didn't have a 9NT to compare back at the show.

Anyway, the general opinion is that the SRTH [LPS] is the most compact way to get a tight beam from especially the N2 lamp for three SF123A models.

I have one SRTH, one 12PM TurboHead, Two KT TurboHead, five Pyrex Millennium TurboHeads and three T TurboHeads. The SRTH I have doesn't beat the other 2.5" TurboHeads by what I consider enough especially with the MN61 lamp for which a Pyrex Lens is my personal preference.

The 9AN+KT3 v. the 9N+T3 -
I prefer the 9AN for form and build and operation.
I prefer the 9N for beam throw and super aggressive knurling for excellent grip.

Al

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SHRT has a much tighter beam than a KT-2 and is also much lighter with a lexon lens.