Universal Flashlight Lens/Objective Protector that snaps open & closed! Pics!

Tractorshaft

Newly Enlightened
I was going through some of my old gun junk this afternoon and when I found some old scope objective covers I thought to myself...I wonder if.....Well, low and behold one of them slipped right over the lens of my M*G D and looked right at home! Butler Creek makes nearly all sizes of covers and I have included a chart showing the various sizes.

They sell two different kinds of lens covers, the one you want is for the objective end. The eyepiece cover has a spring loaded button on it that is unnecessary and does not work nearly as well as the simple objective cover. It too is spring loaded and either of the little "Ears" will pop it right open where it stays until you "Snap" it back into the locked position.

The covers are only a few dollars and seems to me a good value given the protection it provides to the lens end of your light. Inexpensive, functional and it fills a "Niche" that exists for many of us who want to protect the glass lens on the front of our lights.

If you are like me, my bigger lights spend a lot of time in my vehicle where they roll around on the seat and sometimes floorboard. Hopefully my fellow luminary's will enjoy my serendipitous find. As they say..A picture is worth......Well, here ya go!

Butler Creek #40, 2.25" Scope Objective Cover shown here on my M*G 85

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q715/KB1LTG/Mag4_1_zps3b4bc6e5.jpg[/IMG]

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q715/KB1LTG/Mag1_zps274d1204.jpg
http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q715/KB1LTG/Mag2_zpsc7bd4df8.jpg

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q715/KB1LTG/Mag3_zps91979881.jpg

http://i1355.photobucket.com/albums/q715/KB1LTG/ButlerCreekSizeChart_zpsf0c24858.jpg

Your images are too large and have been replaced with links Please resize and repost.
See Rule #3 If you post an image in your post, please downsize the image to no larger than 800 x 800 pixels. - Thanks Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
That is a useful protector. I can see people modding one by cutting out the protective disk and glueing in a diffuser lens - hey presto a quick change throw to flood converter :)

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
nagazyhy.jpg

Butler Creek also makes see through scope covers. I use them to make flip open diffusers and color filters for my flashlights. I use the Lee filters swatch book to choose the type of diffuser material and sometimes a color from the hundreds of choices in the book. Many choices and combinations.

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I knew about that, but was forgetting. Thanks for the conversion chart, that will certainly make things a lot easier. I was thinking about putting a lee filter semi-permanently on a flashlight to convert it to 650nm, but this is a much better option :)

argleargle

Enlightened
I love this thread very much. Using gun parts on flashlights just seems very, very right to me. Anyone else feel like when you're sliding cells into a flashlight that you're "reloading?"

Don't forget about that wonderful tool, the LCD screen english/metric caliper... quite cheap.

mbw_151

Enlightened
Does anyone know if the 1.221 cover will fit on a Z44 Surefire bezel? I know the Z44 is nominally 1.25, but I haven't put calipers on these to confirm the measurement at this level of accuracy.

jamesmyname

Newly Enlightened
Great idea. This is going on my to-do list. I'd love to have a diffuser for my foursevens X10.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just added a diffuser to my Saab modded STL-V6. Now I have both a super wide flood beam and awesome thrower in one light. And I can easily switch back and forth using my finger tips. Plus it allows lens & bezel protection when carrying or in-transit. Really adds versatility to a pure thrower :thumbsup:

8428245305_ce4b203eeb_c.jpg

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I yet have to stop at the local gun shop. How light-tight are these? can you see any light leaking from the sides of the cover at all?

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
Thanks for the tip!

How solid are tubes these? Should I get one that is slightly larger and fit it with O Rings or should I get one that is slightly smaller so that the rubber will snap around the barrel of the light?

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I yet have to stop at the local gun shop. How light-tight are these? can you see any light leaking from the sides of the cover at all?

Just checked, no light leak on high. Mine is very tight and needed some filing for the cap to snap shut properly. I'd advise taking your light and trying the bezel fit and cap operation.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the tip!

How solid are tubes these? Should I get one that is slightly larger and fit it with O Rings or should I get one that is slightly smaller so that the rubber will snap around the barrel of the light?

Finding the right size is the key. Too small won't work as the tube will be stretched too tight for the cap to snap closed. Better to be a little loose and wrap electric tape on the bezel for tightness.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just checked, no light leak on high. Mine is very tight and needed some filing for the cap to snap shut properly. I'd advise taking your light and trying the bezel fit and cap operation.

:twothumbs: thanks for the info. I'll be passing by a big gun shop on my way back from the one client that sprouted my need for a filter, so I'm sure to have my light on me :)

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well... the guys at the local gun shop seemed to ignore that there are sizes smaller than 4", plus I just put the caliper to my light and it is a little smaller than 1". I guess I'll have to find another option for this one.

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
Any feedback on whether to get the #39 or #40 Butler Creek Objective Cover to fit a Maglite C & D?

EscapeVelocity

Enlightened
Butler Creek #40 Objective Flip Cover works a treet on the C and D MagLites old version and new version. It slides on snug and is light tight. And is easy to remove with some finesse but is in no danger of coming off itself even with rough use.

Last edited:

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually started a thread several months ago asking about this, because the only light I own that has a convenient lens protection system is my Eagletac G25C2. I bought the extra fold-able diffuser lens that can be locked closed over the main lens or swung open. I dont even like diffusers, I only use it for its protection quality. But aside from that, all my other lights are unprotected, and I just figured that there must be something that can be done to alleviate this problem and a fold-able scope lens cover would be ideal.

Latest posts