Unlikely independent-channel smart charger... Sony BC-CS2A

mfm

Enlightened
is 400mA too small for a "AA" Eneloop? Don't Eneloops charge better with a 1C rate? It's not that I don't trust the OP, but I just want to make sure.

Yes, I think the charge rate is too low.

I think someone also reported that when charging eneloops with this charger it overcharged for several hours. And even if it would work with new eneloops it may not work anymore when the cells are getting older.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to like this charger, but I was wondering what other people think. One post in another thread suggests that seven hours is not too long for an Eneloop to be charging. Is that correct?

Is the only way to truly tell to buy one, charge an Eneloop with it, and check the voltage after charge?

mfm

Enlightened
One post in another thread suggests that seven hours is not too long for an Eneloop to be charging. Is that correct?

It's not correct. 400 mAh * 7 hours is more than the 120% charge input limit that is recommended with slow charging by Duracell and others.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) Cost - it can be had for seven dollars
2) Independent channels
3) According to the OP, proper termination in both channels, for cells filled to different capacities
4) Extremely simple operation

I hope I did not make a mistake, as more recent feedback seems to suggest it overcharges. The Duracell Mobile charger is usually around $15-$20.

My friend is an E.E. working on his doc. If he did purchase the Sony BC-CS2A, hopefully he can let us know how the cells fare. He isn't a flashoholic, but I sure as heck trust him around a DMM. :)

Last edited:

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope I did not make a mistake, as more recent feedback seems to suggest it overcharges.

I am missing this more recent negative feedback. That would be interesting. Can you provide links? I've been using two of these chargers every couple weeks since my OP to charge aged Eneloops and ROV AA Hybrids, and they have never come anywhere close to overcharging by "several hours," and have never given any indication of overcharging at all. Sometimes cells can fail to terminate if they are already charged up, then put on to "top off" charge, so don't provide a reliable end-of-charge signal.

Last edited:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forgot where I found the link originally...I'll edit this post with the info once I dig it up. *thumbs up*

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried for a few minutes and then gave up. I will look right now.

Okay, this is the thread here.

A member was concerned that it was putting out 400mA to charge an Eneloop, but still going at the six hour mark.

400mA * 6 = 2400mA

There was (is?) concern that the charger may not terminate properly, since the consensus seems to be Eneloops charge "best" at 1C.

This is not my area of expertise, though, and if one of the forum electronics gurus chimed in, they would be the one to know. :thinking:

As Turbo said above, perhaps it is only with cells that are being topped off, since those may not give the proper "end-of-charge" signal.

Last edited:

357mag1

Enlightened
If Eneloops should only be charged at 1C then Sanyo is sending out bad chargers when you purchase the charger and Eneloops. The Sanyo charger sold with Eneloops only puts out 300ma for AA batteries. None of my cells have ever been overcharged in these chargers. Haven't seen it happen in the Maha C9000 either even if I set the charge current to 300ma.

I do notice at the lower charge current the batteries stay cooler. In my experience batteries last longer if used gently on both the charge and recharge cycle.

jay48

Newly Enlightened
This is the exact charger I have! I've used it once with Eneloops, but didn't let it charge completely (being the smart-A@$ I am, I removed them in five hours!).
This time I'll let them charge fully.

Latest posts