UPDATE# 2 - w/photos: Foursevens Mini-ML & QTLC

wjv

Enlightened
My Foursevens Quark tactical QTLC 1xCR123 arrived today.

Noticed that the box had a sticker stating that it was a Gen 2 LED.

Turned it on and the first thing I noticed was a horrible green tint.

So I try putting it into program mode and it wouldn't go. Tried about 8 time before I got it into program mode. Set the mode to ultra low (0.25 lumen) and then, after the confirmation flashes, loosened the head and tried to program the level for mode 2. Again it took 5-6 tries to get it into program mode. Programmed it and shut the flashlight off. Turned it back on and it came on at the appropriate level. Tightened the head and it went into full turbo mode and got very hot in just a few seconds.

Shut it off and turned it back on and it was in the sub-lumen mode. No matter how much I tried it wouldn't go back into program mode. Now every time I turn it on, it comes on at a random brightness level. :mad: If it comes on at all. Half the time the light won't come on at all. . .

So I did a Amazon return and it is packed up ready to go back to Amazon. .

I was really looking forward to having a sub-lumen light. . . :(

At least my Foursevens Mini-ML is working just fine.

===================================================
UPDATE 1

My new QTLC arrived from 47s today.

The good news
- It work as advertised. It took two tries but once I got the hang of it, I had no problems programming it. So it is now programed for mode 1: 0.25 lumen & mode 2: 4.8 lumens!

The not as good news
- It does exhibit pre-flash in the sub-lumen mode only, but it is very mild.
- It does have a slightly greenish tint

Regarding the tint. When I first got my Mini-ML it also had the slightly greenish tint. When I compared it against my Fenix PD22 it was pretty obvious. But doing the same today it seems like the green tint has faded! I compared it once again side-by-side with the PD22 and the two now look very similar in tint. I don't know a lot about LEDs, but is it possible that the LED needed some "burn in" time? Maybe I'm just hallucinating :) . The tint is more noticeable on the lower power modes.

Regardless, I am keeping the QTLC as the tint is not horrible. I hope to be able to take some comparison photos in the near future of the PD22, Mini-ML and the QTLC, including beam shots. If I can get some decent images, I will post them here.

===================================================
UPDATE 2

Images were taken using a Panasonic Lumix pocket camera.

Left to Right - Fenix PD22 (XP-G R5), 47s Mini ML (XP-G2), 47s QTLC (XP-G2)
47-01_zps707ec2e4.jpg

Fenix PD22 9L, 47s Mini ML 3.6L, 47s QTLC 0.24L (about 6 inches from the wall)
47-02_zpsff7271b6.jpg

Fenix PD22 9L, 47s Mini ML 3.6L, 47s QTLC 4.8L (about 6 inches from the wall)
47-03_zps37e257df.jpg

Fenix PD22 190L, 47s Mini ML 216L, 47s QTLC 246L (about 6 inches from the wall)
47-04_zpsd93a7a2c.jpg

Fenix PD22 190L (about 75 feet from camper)
47-05_zpsf99a658a.jpg

47s Mini ML 216L (about 75 feet from camper)
47-06_zps408f941d.jpg

47s QTLC 246L (about 75 feet from camper)
47-07_zps6541cd1c.jpg

Fenix PD32UE XM-L T6 Natural White, 740L (about 75 feet from camper)
47-08_zpsf60d1467.jpg

Last edited:

sticktodrum

Enlightened
Re: Sent my Foursevens Quark Tactical back

Sounds like a lemon. Just pick up a replacement, the QTLC is a very nice light. :)

LeukTech

Newly Enlightened

I have a older Quark 123 tactical, I have had it so I couldn't enter program mode, and it would randomly chose a level when I turned it on.

Then I figured out I was already in program mode (it's real finicky), so let it sit for a few seconds, it flashed, and the light was back to normal.

For whatever reason when I use the 123 sized tube it has this issue often and sometimes near impossible to get it to program correctly. But with my 123x2 extension tube, it works every time no problem.

But it sounds you made the right decision to return, the green tint alone is enough reason to return (I've returned many lights because of tint alone).

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just pick up a replacement, the QTLC is a very nice light. :)

+ 1

Agreed. It's one of the best AA lights out there.
Olight XML's in the S-series Baton are greenish too, so that's no excuse.

Quark's anodization is imho lower quality but tbh other competitor's anodization isn't any better except for very few exceptions Fenix Klarus.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sent my Foursevens Quark Tactical back

I have a older Quark 123 tactical....

For whatever reason when I use the 123 sized tube it has this issue often and sometimes near impossible to get it to program correctly. But with my 123x2 extension tube, it works every time no problem.....

Ummmm, these tubes are not compatible on same head if you are using the same type of batteries (ie, CR123/16340). Kinda sounds you have the high voltage head (originally delivered with 2x123 tube) and are trying to use a single CR123, which is at the light's low voltage cut-off point (3v).

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast

I won't buy any more Quarks because of how green the ones I have are. I'm not white wall hunting or a tint snob, it's just that they are so green I cannot use them.

XML emitters are not by default greenish, as I have some very nice Cool White Eagletacs and Nitecores.

Last edited:

LeukTech

Newly Enlightened

Ummmm, these tubes are not compatible on same head if you are using the same type of batteries (ie, CR123/16340). Kinda sounds you have the high voltage head (originally delivered with 2x123 tube) and are trying to use a single CR123, which is at the light's low voltage cut-off point (3v).

It's a low voltage head delivered with a 123 tube, I am using a 17670 in the 2x123 tube :)

Run-times are pretty awesome :twothumbs

wjv

Enlightened

Dropped it off at UPS this AM.

Figured I'd give it one more try and ordered another QTLC Gen 2 directly off of the Foursevens site. Used the CPF discount code to get 8% (I think) off of the order.

So in about a week we'll see what happens!

I know that there are other sub-lumen lights out there, but I found the QTLC's UI very nice in that I could set the two modes for 0.25 and 4.8 lumens and have a low output only light. No having to flick through 37 other modes to get to low or sub-low. BTW, I love that my Mini-ML always comes on in low (3.6 lumen)

The nice thing is if I don't like the 0.25 mode I can always re-program to 4.8 and 26.4 lumens. And in an emergency I can still access up to 246 lumens (or the strobe or beacon)

Right now I keep the Mini-ML and my Fenix PD32UE next to the bed. The Mini-ML for getting up in the middle of the night, checking on the kids & dog, or for going to the bathroom. The PD32UE is set on turbo mode, and is for dealing with other types of emergencies. The kind that might require deploying the Springfield 1911.

Update: New QTLC was shipped by 47's first thing Monday AM!

Last edited:

Larbo

Enlightened

Every Quark I bought except a 123 R2 version I got way back (which I like better then the R5 version, nice hotspot and throw) has a bad green tint.....yuck!

jcw122

Enlightened

Figured I'd give it one more try and ordered another QTLC Gen 2 directly off of the Foursevens site. Used the CPF discount code to get 8% (I think) off of the order.

I know that there are other sub-lumen lights out there, but I found the QTLC's UI very nice in that I could set the two modes for 0.25 and 4.8 lumens and have a low output only light. No having to flick through 37 other modes to get to low or sub-low. BTW, I love that my Mini-ML always comes on in low (3.6 lumen)

The nice thing is if I don't like the 0.25 mode I can always re-program to 4.8 and 26.4 lumens. And in an emergency I can still access up to 246 lumens (or the strobe or beacon)

Right now I keep the Mini-ML and my Fenix PD32UE next to the bed. The Mini-ML for getting up in the middle of the night, checking on the kids & dog, or for going to the bathroom. The PD32UE is set on turbo mode, and is for dealing with other types of emergencies. The kind that might require deploying the Springfield 1911.

Yeah ordering through 47's is probably your best bet. Their customer service is always on it. Hope the next one works out for you!

rumack

Enlightened

I agree, sounds like you got a lemon. I have several Quarks and the only problem I have had has been sometimes the retaining ring in the tail cap loosens and makes the light erratic until I tightened it back down. A bit annoying but it doesn't happen often.

LeukTech

Newly Enlightened

You ever use/own a Zebralight? If you like super low-modes and the ability to access levels without having to click through all the other modes, then you would probably like ZL's UI.

I really do like the UI of my aging Quark 123 tactical, being able to have two modes at my disposal for quick and easy access is nice. But having to re-program just to get into a mode that isn't programmed was not so convenient.

ZL's UI is pretty amazing, most would agree it is one of the best out there. Access to low medium and high modes with a single click. Single click quickly to get into high from off. Hold for a split second to get into the low from off. Either double click or hold the button for a split second longer to get into medium mode from off. Then when you are in each mode, you can simply double click the button to cycle through two sets of modes (high, medium and low all have different sub-levels you can program for quick access).

Sounds more complicated than it is, but once you try the ZL UI it's hard to find another light out there that compares. :)

Also if you want single CR123 support (and AA in the same light :twothumbs) and are really picky about tints, you should check out the SC80c high CRI. I have the SC51c (discontinued model) that has the same emitter, and it is one of the most beautiful tinted lights I own (and I am REALLY picky when it comes to tints).

papershredder

Newly Enlightened

I was eying the QPL earlier today. I wish Foursevens would make that in neutral white. (It's beyond me why they don't. It seems incongruous with their marketing with the Preon and Pro series. Tactical? Okay, I get it, max lumens!!!!11!!!oneone!!11!one! But professionals?) I'd pull the trigger on that, even though I already have a Sunwayman V11R on order and have no experience with single CR123A types. I think I came to the conclusion that I could buy the 2xCR123A light in neutral white and then get the single CR123A body... but I'd loose the pocket clip, which I want. (I don't like multiple items jumbling around in my pockets.) Can anyone comment? Maybe I need some new pants with more pockets instead?

I also sent back a Foursevens light via Amazon once. That was the QP2A. It had some horrible inductor whine, and it would take about 15 seconds to loose its mode memory when off. The manual indicated about three seconds was right.

Long story short, I think Foursevens is 70% of the way there. I had to send a light back. Also, they are praised for their legoability, but I found that tolerances and specs did not quite match on the Preon series. I broke a couple of o-rings legoing those.
Their customer service is good, but that won't deliver what I want. I want neutral white. I want deep or deep-ish carry clips. I want no inductor whine.

sticktodrum

Enlightened

Weird that a QP2A would have any kind of whine, since it doesn't use PWM. Sounds like a lemon... The Quark series does have a deep-carry clip though, and it's pretty nice. Works well, is pretty robust, and not that expensive. I'd love some neutral white as well, I don't know why they don't put it on the new models. All of the neutral white Foursevens lights I've gotten have been old stock. The high CRI Mini AA was old stock (and had nasty audible whine), and the Mini 123 neutral was old stock as well. No new branding on neutral whites at all that I've seen. It's unfortunate.

If you want the QPL, you could try a Tec Suspension clip. It's not the idea solution, but it's a solution. I use it on my Mini ML-X and it's great. There are also some aftermarket clips that you could attach to the QPL with minimal modification.

jcw122

Enlightened

The whine is normal, my older AA^2 does that, and I think I asked around and it's normal. It doesn't happen all the time and it's hard to notice on anything except Turbo.

papershredder

Newly Enlightened

The whine is normal, my older AA^2 does that, and I think I asked around and it's normal. It doesn't happen all the time and it's hard to notice on anything except Turbo.

I could hear it on all modes when it was in my hand. This may be normal, but not acceptable in my book. Foursevens, get your switchmode electronics out of audible frequencies!

surgicalshot

Newly Enlightened

I have a older Quark 123 tactical, I have had it so I couldn't enter program mode, and it would randomly chose a level when I turned it on.

Then I figured out I was already in program mode (it's real finicky), so let it sit for a few seconds, it flashed, and the light was back to normal.

For whatever reason when I use the 123 sized tube it has this issue often and sometimes near impossible to get it to program correctly. But with my 123x2 extension tube, it works every time no problem.

But it sounds you made the right decision to return, the green tint alone is enough reason to return (I've returned many lights because of tint alone).

So do you return the light because tint then buy it again? Are there different tints within the same make and model?

Last edited:

wjv

Enlightened

So do you return the light because tint then buy it again? Are there different tints within the same make and model?

I've done that once.

The light came with the S2 "special edition" and was REALLY green.
Returned it and bought one of the older not "special edition" versions while they were still available.

It just amazes me that some companies have a rep for turning out off-color lights, but don't do anything about it.

My ITP, JetBeam, Sunwayman, TerraLux and all but one Fenix lights (as in the above comment) have nice white or slightly bluish tints.