Updated -(1)- 10th April - ROP Vs Mag85 Beam Shots

andrewwynn

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: ROP Vs Mag85 Beam Shots

looking at the chart here.. looks like CBP2500s will spike at about 1.5V/cell or 9V with 6 cells for a second or 10 'til they get down to 7.8V over the first minute or two.. GP2000s are even 'hotter'.. it's nigh impossible to get a match of GP2000s into a direct-drive solution w/o blowing lamps.. they will hold about 1.25V under load for a few solid minutes.. 11.25v solid driving the likes of 1185 lamp.. you will need some internal resistance with your switch gear to drop voltage because at startup.. you'll have nearly 1.3V average for the first 3 minutes!.. 11.7V, not of course to mention the 12.6V spike at startup..

after blowing 3x1185 within 3 days using rested battery packs i was 'done' with unregulated hotwire lamps.. hence.. the hotdriver... i will build one into a magswitch for use with ROP.. already figured out most of how, and it's not much more difficult than doing a KIU upgrade.. just a little tricky to cut out the inside lip on the bottom, even that is probably not a requirement.. the spring has a lot of give on maglites.

-awr

LuxLuthor

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

When you guys are talking about ROP, does that stand for Roar of the Pelican? If not, what exactly is the ROP using, and does ROP include a variety of bulbs like the Mag WA bi-pins can vary somewhat?

If the WA bipins are brighter, what are the pro's/con's of Pelican bulbs that people use?

Thanks

============

Edit: I just saw the other thread after posting above which has this link to the ROP writeup page....but I'm still not sure why people use this if the WA bipin is brighter...there must be some other advantages?

Last edited:
Lips

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast

DreamScape said:
Got my new camera now and been giving it a good work out.
What ya get.

cmacclel said:
I may offer a few 120 watt lights in under a 2d form factor shortly :)
Mac
How does the 120 watt compare to the WA1185 bulb. Sub 2d, sounds interesting. Doing any regulation yet...

LuxLuthor said:
When you guys are talking about ROP, does that stand for Roar of the Pelican? If not, what exactly is the ROP using, and does ROP include a variety of bulbs like the Mag WA bi-pins can vary somewhat?

If the WA bipins are brighter, what are the pro's/con's of Pelican bulbs that people use?
ROP = Roar of Pelican
Rop bulbs drop in fit for PR stock mag bulb holder. Fairly easy MOD. ROP LE is my favorite because it's in a 2C Mag...

DreamScape

DreamScape

Enlightened

Lips,

I got the Canon Powershot A620. I find it very good and has lots of features(auto and manual) and the price was great! Had a great write up on several camera web sites too.

I've added a couple of links to the first thread with regards to more information on what the Mag85 is and the ROP. I forget I was a newbie too once!

Yep ROP = Roar of Pelican.
Got my bulbs from Fivemega, also get them from LightHound - Pelican Big D 3854 Bulb Set - Part number FL-3854 - Lamp set (1 high, 1 low) for the Sealed Lead Big D light

Lips

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast

My camera is the Canon A620 too! Love it. Just got a slave flash for it...

C

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast

LuxLuthor said:

Thanks

============

Edit: I just saw the other thread after posting above which has this link to the ROP writeup page....but I'm still not sure why people use this if the WA bipin is brighter...there must be some other advantages?

Currently the ROP is the brightest lamp available for 6 cells or 7.2v. At 9 cells 10.8v the WA1185 is the brightest available.

Mac

DreamScape

DreamScape

Enlightened
Re:UPDATED -(1)- 10th April - ROP Vs Mag85 Beam Shots

OK I have updated the first thread with more beam shot comparisons. So Keep Scrolling on the first thread for UPDATE -(1)- 10th April 2006

Enjoy :naughty:

Phaserburn

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm, just found this thread. I've tried my ROP vs Mag85, and the Mag85 was trounced noticeably. But then again, my ROP isn't an ROP; it's an actual, stock config Pelican Big D, overdriving the SLA version HOLA with 6 5Ah Nicad D cells in a 4" reflector.

Delvance

Delvance

Enlightened
Wow, excellent work!! Thanks very much for the comparision :bow: That ROP seems much brighter compared to the first one that was used with the Modamag holder, and that [email protected] on CBP is quite amazing!! Really looking forward to another comparo with different refeflectors, switch fixes etc. Thanks again wow!

Icebreak

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for this presentation, DreamScape. Nice work showing useful information.

I've mentioned before for that not all specific HotWire recipes come out the same, even with the same builder.

For these 3 recipes I believe your beamshots show exactly what should be expected when they are built well, focused laterally/axially and running off of optimized power sources.

I would say this latest contribution from you should be considered definitive.

Delvance

Delvance

Enlightened
/Agree with Icebreak

The ROP lamp definitely has more potential though. Whilst the Wa1185 is very near instaflash...the ROP isn't near that point with a stock 2D ROP.

I'd love to see a subC or 2s2p Lion version of the ROP with the switch fix (to negate the [email protected] KIU bipin low resistance setup), progold and a small opening reflector go against that CBP [email protected] :)

Dreamscape, if you're handy with a soldering iron...consider doing the [email protected] switch fix when you have it apart for progold treatment. I gained a fair bit of output and a little whiteness with just a solder wick spring mod, then i eventually did the complete fix and revised my battery layout and gained some more output and alot more whiteness. The complete fix will see the resistance of the whole switch assembly at under 30milliohms i believe. IIRC, a [email protected] with the KIU socket is about 35milliohms. Doing the full fix in one ago gains several hundred lumens at the bulb for the ROP lamp, due to it's high current draw (high current draws are affected by resistance more than a high V low current setup).

atm

atm

Enlightened
DreamScape said:
I hope you have enjoyed
naughty.gif

Absolutely! Many thanks DreamScape. Looking forward to the next installment too!
smile.gif

Andrew

missionaryman

missionaryman

Enlightened
thank you very much these beamshots are a great reference article.

extremely helpful

DreamScape

DreamScape

Enlightened
Again, Many Thanks for the kind comments ;)

Yeah, I should have done a straight compare with just the battery packs with same reflector with the Mag85's, I know, I know :ohgeez:
This first time was just to see how I got on and to see how the pictures looked.
So I know how to improve for next time.

It was quite difficult because it's a popular park and it's not the usual thing to do taking pictures of torch beams!!

Until next time...Take it easy

DreamScape

DreamScape

Enlightened
Updated the distances from the camera to the tree now.

Top column distance to tree - 150m or 492'
Middle column distance to tree – 93m or 305'
Bottom column distance to tree – 68m or 223'

Thanks

Lips

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hope DreamScape is OK

Sent him a PM a month ago and haven't heard back. No post for over a month either...