Updated Energizer 15-Minute Charger???

Ralls

Newly Enlightened
Let me start by saying that I'm an idiot because I just sold my old Energizer 15-minute charger and then turned right around and bought one of the newer ones with the car adapter. It seems that I can live, afterall, with the trade-offs of getting fast charge times, but shortened battery life expectancy.

Anyway...onto my question/observation. I got back from Wal-Mart, opened it up, plugged it in and charged the cells provided with it. I immediately heard a very audible, intermittent but steady "pulsing" sound (I guess similar to some other well known chargers out there). This struck me as strange, because I am 99% sure that my old charger did not make such sounds. So... this begs the question...

Did Energizer update the charger or am I smoking something?

Bear

Newly Enlightened
I just bought one too a few days ago and I noticed a clicky sound every second or so after the fan turned off during the trickle charging phase. What this means... I dunno. Maybe its an endearing feature? :)

FYI I bought this charger over the Duracell one despite Silverfox's slight preference for the Duracell. Here are my reasons. I like Energizer more as a company. They provided downloadable info. and seem to be more forthcoming with information. In my own experience, which hardly proves anything, I have had better luck with Energizer cells than Duracell ones. And finally I think Duracell's customer service is not as good as Energizer's. I also have a technical reason. The Energizer seems to give a full shot of amperage throughout all phases of the charging cycle. In contrast the Duracell cuts back on the amperage peaks in the latter parts of the charging cycle. To me, this means that cells coming off of the Energizer charger should outperform ones coming off of the Duracell charger in high amperage drain situations. I suppose if one is more interested in cycle life than high amperage performance that the Duracell charger might be a better choice. I have to admit though this is a subtle distinction.

Last edited:

SilverFox

Silver Moderator
Staff member
Hello Bear,

Good points. I think the Duracell may have a longer top off charge, but when the light turns green the Energizer will be at a higher state of charge.

If you do a 30 minute charge, they are a lot closer.

Tom

Robstorch

Newly Enlightened
I have one of the older ones, dont hear any noises other than the fan...

lumenal

Enlightened
I've got the newer Energizer 15-Min. charger with car cord I puchased a couple months back.

An hour ago I charged four 2000 mAh cells with it, and I did not hear any type of pulsing, and definitely no clicking during the trickle charge stage. The only sound was the fan. Interesting infomation...:popcorn:

Ralls

Newly Enlightened
So far we have two that make the "pulsing" sound that were purchased in the last week, and three, including the one that I just sold, that are a little bit older and do not make the sound. So if Energizer did update the charger, it had to be pretty recently.

Bear

Newly Enlightened
Hello Ralls,

I used the charger again and this time paid more attention. As you know I said that I could only hear the clicky noise after the fan went off. Wel, this is not true anymore. When I really listened to it again it turns out that it is making the sound even with the fan on. Its just that with the fan on its pretty hard to hear. Actually its pretty hard to hear anyway. I happened to hear it the first time when I was charging some batts at 5AM when it was really quiet. With normal background noise (a couple if kids running around, TV on, etc.) it would be pretty hard to hear.

I have to say that I really like this charger.

Ralls

Newly Enlightened
Bear said:
Hello Ralls,

I used the charger again and this time paid more attention. As you know I said that I could only hear the clicky noise after the fan went off. Wel, this is not true anymore. When I really listened to it again it turns out that it is making the sound even with the fan on. Its just that with the fan on its pretty hard to hear. Actually its pretty hard to hear anyway. I happened to hear it the first time when I was charging some batts at 5AM when it was really quiet. With normal background noise (a couple if kids running around, TV on, etc.) it would be pretty hard to hear.

I have to say that I really like this charger.

I figured this might be the case--my house was really quiet the first time that I plugged mine in and I could hear the clicking sound reasonably well over the internal fan.

I'm liking mine more and more as well. I really do think that it's a good value and I would consider it perfect for my needs if it had a discharge function.

pathalogical

Enlightened
I recently purchased the Energizer 15 min charger (wall plug), normally $70 cdn, on sale for $35. I too noticed the clicking noise. However, I am disappointed because the 2200 don't last very long vs my 2500 Engergizers. The batts reach "full charge" after only 2-3 mins and one of the batts gets really hot. When they get low they shut off my radio instantly. I think I may exchange for the same charger because of the hot battery or opt for the 2500 wall charger.