upgrading 4-D mag flashlight

Hank Zudd

Newly Enlightened
what makes more $ sense-upgrading my existing 4-D maglight, or buying something new? I want a brighter light, but like the weight & battery setup of my current light. I had an SF 6Z & still have a pelican 3-C light but these are too small for what I want. I also have a boatload of rechargable D's and use the light for work nights in a bad part of San Francisco. I read these boards frequently, but haven't really seen anything about a drop in upgrade. I know a new lense would help, but what else? btw, i'm getting one of those amber strobes that replaces the end cap (Galls-42.00) anyone know about these? thanks pm

arioch

Enlightened
Hank:

If you want to remain with incandescents, there are M@glite M@gnum Star xenon bulbs available for the 4D M@glite. Brighter than 4 cell kryptons.

You could also overdrive a 3C/D cell krypton bulb in there. Run time is shorter, and I don't know how much overdriven it is with rechargeables, but my 4C torch with alkalines is brighter with a 3 cell krypton bulb than with the 4 cell xenon. Brightness is almost comparable with my SL Ultrastinger.

A layer of Writeright on the lens can also "clean up" the less than stellar M@g beam.

There are also led drop-ins available for the full sized M@gs. I believe that there are a number of members who own one who could comment on them with more hands on information than me.

Have fun!
grin.gif

Hank Zudd

Newly Enlightened
no wonder I got a reply-your in a 6 hour behind time zone, which is also a very nice place to visit. thanks for the info. I have various other led's for close in work; just trying to make a small spotlight that can also change atttitudes when needed. pm

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
A M*gl!te M*gnum St*r Xenon bulb driven by 4Ds makes a very tight very white spot in my 4D M*g.

Prior to that I was running 5Cs on the 4 cell Krypton bulb and had a somewhat lessor focused a bit less bright beam. Overall probably more useful but not as impressive as the Xenon.

Neither bulb, nor any I can think of will allow a stock M*gl!te to flood beam without dark spots and rings. And I don't really want to give away any light to writeright...

So I don't pick up my M*gs when I want to USE a light. They are strictly for play.