Urban Survival Mod

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was just thinking of all the times I've read about battery rattle and people putting paper in a light to stop the noise. How about putting a $100 bill in it and have backup cash if you need it too? Has anybody else tried this?

I've tried it in an Infinity but couldn't get it to fit. The easiest are the longer lights like Streamlight TT AA.

I guess this wouldn't be good for folks that loose their lights often though. Also would be good incentive to keep fresh batteries in it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

-LT

MaxaBaker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oops...I put the batteries in backwards (small explosion and fire starts). AHHHH!!!!! My $100!!!!!!!!

No, I definitly don't do this. I wouldn't take the chance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
$100 "inside" a flashlight, or "on" a flashlight.

I think I'll choose the "on" option. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Gander_Man

Newly Enlightened
LT,
I like when people are brave enough to think out side the accepted way of doing things. I've hid back-up cash in things like my car (even my wallet, if that makes sense), so why not something I already highly value that I'm more apt to have on me when I'm in survival mode *S*.
Keep sharin' the new ideas,
- Russ

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
MaxaBaker said:
Oops...I put the batteries in backwards (small explosion and fire starts). AHHHH!!!!! My $100!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey Baker,
Look at it this way, I bet you'd learn not to do that again; the batteries that is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

[ QUOTE ]
sotto said:
$100 "inside" a flashlight, or "on" a flashlight.

I think I'll choose the "on" option.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I never thought of that. I guess if you could find shrink tubing large enough . . . Yes I understood what you meant but I like my idea better. Actually I've got some 1.25" shink tube around here someplace.

[ QUOTE ]
Gander Man said:
...think out side the accepted way of doing things.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like to think of it as thinking outside the tube. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting idea. It would make your $100 light a $200 light in the event of loss, I can just imagine those who lose their lights a bit more often than I do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mpr.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14C

Enlightened
Agree with KevenL and consider this...most of the nice lights are "highly pilferable" items.

Just a thought.

Doug Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Lunal_Tic said:
I was just thinking of all the times I've read about battery rattle and people putting paper in a light to stop the noise. How about putting a $100 bill in it and have backup cash if you need it too? Has anybody else tried this?

[/ QUOTE ]

While I like the idea, I think I can say with some confidence that most of us, should we get $100 cash are far more likely to buy some more flashlights......

Doug Owen

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
KevinL,

That was the reason behind the last paragraph in the lead post. Also you and others might check out this thread on tethers for ideas on how to keep your light with you.

Doug Owen,

I hear you and I'm all for more lights however you can't eat a light nor can you trade it to a taxi driver for a lift home.

In my case my EDC is a tool, an expensive tool, but still just that. If I can add a bit more functionality without much effort that's a good thing. Also I have bug-out-bags and in those the light would be a good alternative place to put cash in case somebody were to poke around where they shouldn't be.

In many cases I like combined items, multitools are a case in point. I already watch my EDC like a hawk since many are limited or custom made so $100 increase in monetary value won't change my vigilance unduly. Of course YMMV. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-LT

KevinL

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, I know. Just reinforcing the point, after all, I'm the one who carries the U2 on a Z60 lanyard that's looped around my belt (also posted in the thread you linked). It's just a thought.

It would increase the utility of the light, spare cash is always useful, and it is a good hiding place. On the other hand, a cheapo light in a hotel room when you travel with 2D cells, sleeved for 3C, overdriven bulb or upgraded 3-cell Xenon bulb, well... guess whatcha gonna make the sleeve out of /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif If you do use up the cash you can still use the light, just grab the paper and put it back in.

A friend of mine once lost $200.

Then he realized it was actually in his secret hiding place, in the shoe.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

neogoon

Newly Enlightened
Guys, you don't have to be so literal -- smaller denominations will work just as well as a C-note, and a twenty is still a fair cab ride in most places.

U.S. bills are just about the width of 2 123-cells stacked, which is nice. With your better flashlights, though, there may not be enough room in the battery compartment for a bill.

That's what spy capsules are for.

ob1

Newly Enlightened
I'd hate to loose my $100 and my flashlight if I lost it

flashlite

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Lunal_Tic said:
I've tried it in an Infinity but couldn't get it to fit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

How about cutting it down to size?

Hmmmm....maybe not.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ganderman, I used to do that. I'd keep 20bucks folded up in my wallet in another pocket/slot. That way if I ran out of cash and really couldn't get to an ATM/needed cash only, I'd be saved.

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Frankly, there's clearly two questions here:

1. How much money should you carry for emergencies?

2. Where should you carry the money?

My answers

Question 1: Enough so you can buy a good SF light if you happen to see one on sale somewhere.

Question 2: Not in your flashlight, in case you might forget about it if someone offers you a "can't refuse" price for it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually my question is:

Should I bore out my regular EDC to accept a battery and a 10,000 yen note so I can catch a cab after the trains stop. Cause if I'm still wearing my pants I'll still have my EDC. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-LT