usa flashlights? would it really cost a lot more to make a flashlight in the usa?

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a good read. Maglite's are still made in the USA, at least most parts of the light are. Apparently, the only part of it that is not made here is the LED!

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
Maglite's are still made in the USA, at least most parts of the light are.
Maglites can be ""MADE IN USA"" when every single part (100% of every part) is made in States.
Remember, I did not say 99.9999999%

Now days the best you can hope for Is "Assembled In the USA"
Assembled In the USA is far from Made in USA

Last edited:

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The interesting thing is if you would find out if it cost more to produce a product in the USA or the EU or other "high cost location" the question is what you put into this calculation on finding out what is cheaper or not.

Actually in China and also other countries in that area like Vietnam or Bangladesh the environment regulations are less high in compare to the EU and I also guess the US.
There are a only two examples. For the production of colored fabric it is still common that the remaining chemistry will be than put into the rivers. If there is blue fabric produced the river turned blue.... if red is in production it turns red... and it is not only the color, it is chemistry that is not good for the environment and also for the people living near this rivers and i.e. fishing there, or agriculture is done near this rivers.
The same is with anodizing, the chemistry is far from environment friendly. And you can be sure that on this "low cost locations" the used chemistry will be put into the environment if it is useless.
It is going better in compare 10 or 20 years ago but it is still no compare to the EU (and I guess also US) regulations.

If you really put everything into the calculation than it is not cheaper. Because the wage costs are only a less part of the overall cost for a product. Also if you produce on a location that is far away (i.e. somewhere in Asia), it is kind of strange that shipping cost are that low.
It is still the case if you order a flashlight in Asia the shipping to the EU costs are a very few dollars. If you buy a flashlight in the US the shipping to the EU is far away from a few dollars.
It should also be clear that the government in China supports their industry with a lot of subsidies. And I will definitely not start the discussion about worker rights...

I try since ~5-7 years not to buy products from Chinese companies. Avoid products without Chinese parts is unfortunately impossible due to the fact must of the semiconductors and electronic components are made in China.

There is one point that should be clear for everyone in the "free world". In 5-10 years we all will have a big problem with China. A new cold war is ongoing.... But that is now too political.

Therefore I stop here.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a lot of China companies they ship for free, so location matters little for that.
The cost of the factory, cost of equipment, labour costs, costs of materials, safety regulations, and legal fees all make it more expensive to build a light in the USA or Canada.
Mag lite has said in a few interviews that if they don’t produce the light for atleast 2 years, it doesn’t pay for itself as far as equipment, r&d, and assembly line construction.
That’s why very few things change year to year.
Streamlight makes half there lights overseas but they are usually labelled as such.
No harm in buying local but don’t delude yourself in thinking we can match them in cost.
;)

fuyume

Newly Enlightened
i hate buying non american items .
I bought a brand new 86 VW Golf GTi and a guy I worked with gave me poop that I didn't buy an American car, like his brand new Chevy El Camino. I looked at my door jam tag, and saw that my VW was made in the US. Engine, transmission...everything. His El Camino was made in Mexico. I gave him poop for months after that.
To be fair, VW shut down the US plant (Westmoreland, PA) because of horrible quality problems. I don’t think the Golf is even made in Mexico, anymore, the Puebla plant is probably too costly for the Golf/Jetta line. I think they all come from Brazil, now, and it probably won’t be long before they are all made in China. If your VW has a VIN beginning with 1 it’s US, 3 it’s MX, 9 it’s BR, W it’s DE. My last VW was a 93 Passat made in Germany, and my ex had an 01 Jetta made in MX. I think by 03 I was seeing the Golfs and Jettas all coming from BR.

fuyume

Newly Enlightened
As for me, I will start buying American when American companies start paying American workers livable wages and American landlords start charging reasonable rents. Until then, I will be happily buying Chinese products, so long as the quality is up to snuff.

kerneldrop

Enlightened
As for me, I will start buying American when American companies start paying American workers livable wages and American landlords start charging reasonable rents. Until then, I will be happily buying Chinese products, so long as the quality is up to snuff.

Because the chinese pay and treat their workers so well?

Last edited:

jonc2

Newly Enlightened
I would like to make a comment on Maglite, a company I like. I was going to give a couple younger folks in my family 2AAA Maglites. I went to several places including 2 Walmarts, a Home Depot, Lowes, Menards and Ace Hardware. The only one of those places that had any Maglites was the Menards, which had several Solitaires. In the past, some of those places could be depended upon to have a bunch of different Maglites...not anymore. Other brands have taken Maglites place. Very disappointed.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to make a comment on Maglite, a company I like. I was going to give a couple younger folks in my family 2AAA Maglites. I went to several places including 2 Walmarts, a Home Depot, Lowes, Menards and Ace Hardware. The only one of those places that had any Maglites was the Menards, which had several Solitaires. In the past, some of those places could be depended upon to have a bunch of different Maglites...not anymore. Other brands have taken Maglites place. Very disappointed.

Used to be ale to get Mags at walmart, home depot, lowes, and target stores, not any more. Maglites seem to have been replaqced on the selves by lights that cost about as much but are not nearly as good, sad really.

Burgess

Flashaholic
4 years ago, all my local Walmarts had a big Clearance Sale
on incandescent 2AA Mini-Maglites ($ 5),
and 1AAA Solitare LED 47 Lumen ($ 7).

I traveled to several locations,
and bought a BUNCH of 'em !
(couldn't resist)

fuyume

Newly Enlightened
Because the chinese pay and treat their workers so well?
Per capita disposable income in China has risen by a factor of 30 times since 1990. It has more than doubled just in the past 10 years.

America? Not so much. Maybe you should try studying economics.

jonc2

Newly Enlightened
Used to be ale to get Mags at walmart, home depot, lowes, and target stores, not any more. Maglites seem to have been replaqced on the selves by lights that cost about as much but are not nearly as good, sad really.

It's sad. Maglite brought many of us to the flashlight party, so to speak. If I was ever caught short handed without a light I would have no problem heading to the big box store and buying a 2AA or 2AAA. I'll always have both of those lights in my lighthouse, they are the same shape (more or less) as those big thumper lights they still make. I'm an old guy and I was there at the beginning of Maglite and they were state of the art at one time. They also make great gifts.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
CPF Supporter
Maglite broke away from their big box store approach and went back to their roots, the mom & pop hardware store like Grainger and Ace. But they also went the route of other companies and opened an e-store.
I miss popping into the camping section at the giant box store and spotting Maglite products.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is my opinion on this. I would love to see more lights and other things made in this country, but it will not happen. I collect lights (that is why I am here!), and pocket knives and multitools. I am only aware of a few USA manufacturers of flashlights, Maglite being one of them. While it does cost more to made things here, I still think US companies can still make things at a fair price. Maglite and Buck knives are two examples. I can buy a US made Maglite for about 20-30 dollars, and a Buck knife starting at about the same price. I just think too many US companies are not just happy making a profit, they have to make a killing. As far as lights go, there is just not enough manufacturers here, and to be honest, Chinese manufacturers like Fenix, are way above any US companies as far as price, quality, features, design, and just overall value for the dollar. Most of my lights are Chinese and they make lights that no US company makes. Maybe it is a cultural thing, I do not know. One of the most common type of light I use is a single AA light, and I am not even sure any US company makes one. Considering how common the AA battery is, I thought they would be all over the place!
Malkoff and Peak make 1AA lights.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
Those Americans who want to keep more money circulating in the USA can buy from in-country vendors and/or perhaps be willing to purchase domestic upscale excellence. But if a flashlight design is not what one is looking for, regardless of where all the parts are made or where it was assembled, it is going to sit on the shelf (for the most part).

Last edited:

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was looking at the Malkoff single AA light a few years back and almost pulled the trigger on it. It is still on my "maybe list", I just wish it put out a few more lumens on high. I actually have a Peak AA light somewhere. It is fairly old and had 3 LED's in the head and just twisted on and off. It was not overly bright but was very usefull. I just have no idea what happened to it!