Uses for a 3600 lumen light?

CMAG

Enlightened
to check property with enough flood that you don't get flanked.

Dave44

Newly Enlightened
How about a 5000 lumen flashlight -
Cree 5000 LM Lumens 3X Cree XML XM-L T6 Flashlight...

Or a 7000 lumen flashlight -
7000 Lumen Super Bright 5X CREE XM-L T6 LED Flashlight Torch Lamp...

And then there is the 11000 lumen flashlight - 9 x CREE XM-L T6 LED Flashlight 11000 Lumen Super Bright 18650 or 26650...

Well I guess so -

LED flashlight, 32000 Lumen, most powerful, 48 XM-L U2...

And - ????

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a light quite that bright, but my TK75 is 2600 lumens. I really appreciate the ability to instantly see pretty much anything I want in the dark when I hear an odd noise when outside camping or doing whatever. It's a really powerful tool for scaredy-cats! My second-brightest light (740 lumens) just doesn't quite cut it compared to that much light in terms of the comfort/safety factor.

bill_n_opus

Enlightened
Yea, I get the more is better idea. Its like the megapixel war with cameras. I actually have wanted dimmer - some lights don't have a low enough low mode for using at the hospital or in pitch black where 8lm is too much. But what are the practical uses for a large--ish 3600 lumen light?

I understand the attempt ... but the comparison isn't quite right for me.

With regards to megapixels IMO you run into diminishing returns real quick for the average person .... for me when it comes to output I would want a portable tank spotlight level flashlight if I could ... even just for silly giggles. Just to say I could spotlight my kid from a block away during Halloween and have people say "Holy sh*t!" ...

Useful? That's debateable ... fun? Hell yeah.

In the same vein you don't get the same giggle factor when you take a 35mp file from professional camera and zoom in like mad ... but that's just me.

But a real life example of current lumen levels being used appropriately is this: my tk70 outputs enough light that when I hear something going on at night I blast that mother and scan around. If there are kids hooting it up and then see a spotlight scanning around they typically respect it because it's something that can expose them. Do I wish I had 22,000 lumens instead of claimed 2,200? Yes. :grin2:

Last edited:

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
The reality is if there were 10,000,000 lumen lights there are plenty of uses for them... I think the OP question stems more from preconcieved notions of what we use "flashlights" for. If I needed to finish hiking from point A to B despite it getting dark and I could see the mountains 11 miles away like I do in the daylight for reference of course that would be super helpful! Can I make it on a pinch light... sure - of course!

Snareman

Enlightened
or citi field..

Most people know Shea :grin2:

Sorry, I think you misunderstood me. I was kidding. I could also phrase it as - the Mets are still playing? I thought they folded long ago and the only team in NYC is the Yankees.

This coming from me the Yankee's fan. :p :wave:

Etsu

Enlightened
3600 lumens is only the same output that a couple of 100 watt incandescent bulbs put out. So, I don't find that much light to be more than the average person would ever want. It's enough to light up a medium sized room, if you tail-stand such a flashlight. I could see the average person wanting that much light.

Sure, they may not need that much light in a room. But, it's about what most people want in indoor lighting levels. So, why not?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Lumens can be spread out in a flood, or marched out in a tight dowel shaped beam, etc. So, 3,600 lumens can look dim or even dark 500 meters away with a floody light, and somewhat brighter with a less floody beam, etc.

High performance flashlights are a niche product. The average person doesn't know they EXIST, let alone have a use in mind for them. I was offroading/camping with some friends, and as it was pitch black out, we were using lights, and, to most of them, a maglight was the uberlight, as they had never known anything better existed...they had even made mag light mounts to hold their lights to roll bars, etc.

So, setting up a tent in the dark is not easy...and using a mag light to do it is not ideal, due to the tight beam pattern that you need to aim at what you are trying to do.

I asked such a tenter if they needed a light, and they replied that they had a freekin mag light, so there wasn't anything that was going to be be better than that.

I told them my 'lil keychain light would be better for them...they laughed when I pulled out my keys and showed them the RCR123 keychain light. I made one snort his beer right through his nostrils when the 'lil keychain light blasted ~ 500+ lumens of flood over the campsite.

I then hit the TM26 and finished them off, photonically at least.

They essentially found out that they all had a use for a 3,600 L light, but had not known it.

:D

Snareman

Enlightened
3600 lumens is only the same output that a couple of 100 watt incandescent bulbs put out. So, I don't find that much light to be more than the average person would ever want. It's enough to light up a medium sized room, if you tail-stand such a flashlight. I could see the average person wanting that much light.

Sure, they may not need that much light in a room. But, it's about what most people want in indoor lighting levels. So, why not?

In a flashlight though its a huge amount.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I understand the attempt ... but the comparison isn't quite right for me.

With regards to megapixels IMO you run into diminishing returns real quick for the average person .... for me when it comes to output I would want a portable tank spotlight level flashlight if I could ... even just for silly giggles. Just to say I could spotlight my kid from a block away during Halloween and have people say "Holy sh*t!" ...

Useful? That's debateable ... fun? Hell yeah.
When you need about 4 times the lumens to see a light as twice as bright, the diminishing return in flashligts comes pretty quick. Shine 2 lights on one spot, it wont look twice as brigt as one light, only a little bit brighter. But this will use twice the power. The higher you go, the worse it gets. Spend four times the current and ony get double visual improvment.

Agree on the fun factor for lux and lumen monsters. They do make me smile, but are usually toys to me. I dont really need any extreme lux or lumen lights.
Sometimes i get a "what the heck moment" and buy one. But its not something i usually buy.

Etsu

Enlightened
When you need about 4 times the lumens to see a light as twice as bright, the diminishing return in flashligts comes pretty quick. Shine 2 lights on one spot, it wont look twice as brigt as one light, only a little bit brighter. But this will use twice the power. The higher you go, the worse it gets. Spend four times the current and ony get double visual improvment.

I wonder if that's a physiological response, or psychological. If it's all physiological, then that rule would break down when it gets very dark or very bright. Your pupils would already be fully dilated or contracted, and the chemicals in your retina would already be fully dark-adapted or light-adapted.

For example, does a star that is 4x as bright as another star, look 4x as bright, or only twice as bright?

There's probably also a psychological component to it, so perhaps it's still logarithmic at the extremes, but probably not as much.

mhanlen

Enlightened
I have a Sky Ray King, and that's probably the maximum I need at around 2000 lumens. What do I use it for? It's a nice work light around the house. I just tail stand it, and enough bounces off the surroundings that I can see what I'm doing. Under the sink, behind the fridge, etc...

DaveAnderson

Newly Enlightened
For map reading in the car of course. :)

I find that I have more than enough light with my 2x18650 MCE light. I'll probably look for a nice G2 light now that the lumen jump has increase sooooo much and the run-times look very good in comparison.

Slewflash

Newly Enlightened
It's the closest thing we have to lightsabers.
EDIT: excluding lasers, because you can't shine them around (legally that is...)

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Zebralight SC52 is said to have more than 400 lumens with a 14500 battery. Compare that with The Nitecore TM26 on Turbo and the reach has extended very much, great for the mix of forest and open areas here in the Southwest. We have bears, mountain lions, crafty coyotes and the random psychotic. If I have the chance to track a great horned owl flying from a perch it is very nice to see such detail afforded by that wall of light. All in a compact yet blunt object (if necessary for defense) light that has amazing runtime at the more "practical" lumen settings.

NeedMoreLight

Newly Enlightened
Number one reason. It makes people go "wow".
Number two reason. It makes people bragging about their six cell Walmart mag lights shut up.
Number three reason. I like to see what an area looks like in the light. Yea, I know I could go look at it in the daylight, but what's the fun in that?

Latest posts