Using a cheap Chinese bike light as a canister light head?

diveuk

Newly Enlightened
Update on the cheapo Chinese light......... It works.

Had it in Stoney Cove today, in the 32m murky depths of the hydrobox with about 2-3m visibility it easilly outshone a Halcyon Eos which is stated to put out 600 lumens, it certainly is not achieving the claimed brightness by the manufacturers but it still outshone a light that costs 1800 times more than this one. The beam is quite tight and there was hardly any backscatter

Our first dive to the hydrobox had a run time of 68 minutes and the light was bright throughout the whole dive with no noticable dimming of the beam, for the second dive I changed the battery so total burn time is at present unknown, the second dive was only a 20m dive with a run time of 38 minutes and again the light worked flawlessly, throughout both dives I toggled through the modes at different depths with no failures or hesitation.

At the moment the only fault I can find is with the finish which scratches and marks easily but for the money he-ho.

Next time I will keep to one battery to determine total burn time and how long before it dims noticeably.

diveuk

Newly Enlightened
Hi David sorry for the delay in replying. I do not want to remove the lens on this unit as I like it as it is soooooo much and do not want to risk creating a leak, but from these pics here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/80M-Water...ing_LightsLanternsTorches&hash=item4d0bae7f14 it looks like just an O ring seal around the lens holder bezel. The switching I just used the standard switch on the unit, cycling it through its different modes to ensure it did not fail at depth under water pressure.

Used it again yesterday on two dives total run time = 127 minutes and the light was on for the whole of the 2 dives, so decent burn time out of the one battery, V @ start was 4.12v and @ end 3.6v, the beam did dim a bit towards the end of dive 2 but still very usable.

I have decided that this torch is so nice I do not need to mod it in any way but I may buy another one just and try to mod that to run on my 12v umbilical pack.

Last edited:

jspeybro

Enlightened
Last edited:

diveuk

Newly Enlightened
If I was not working I would be there also.

It really works well @ the hydro box, lights every thing up great.

johnohuk

Newly Enlightened
Well it worked ! I had a minor flood ;( ... not sure what the issue was but a strip down/grease up between dives sorted it... good to 24m (75ft)...

Couple of pictures...

cree+dive+torch.JPG

IMG_20130528_205317.jpg

IMG_20130528_205328.jpg

IMG_20130528_205647.jpg

More pictures on the blog..

Last edited:

jspeybro

Enlightened
I find the front bezel to come loose very easily. If you hit something while diving or setting up your gear, you might knock it loose. I'll be using a thread locker when I put it back together. Overall, I don't feel confident at all to dive this ligh.

How did you get the reflector out?

johnohuk

Newly Enlightened
Thread lock is a good idea... thanks

Reflector is threaded onto the pill body...you can push out the whole pill/reflector assembly from underneath once you have unscrewed the tube body. Mine just feel out to be honest with the only thing keeping it in being a small spring around the pill...

It all came to pieces quite easily... a little too easily !

diveuk

Newly Enlightened
Another two dives with mine yesterday, 48m run time 1hr 18 mins and 28m for 1hr 3 mins. No problems light on high for duration of both dives, changed battery for second dive though.

After the previous comments regarding the lens bezel I checked mine and it was tightly secured, I did find that when changing/removing batteries you have to be carefull where you hold the light whilst you are removing/replacing the end cap as if you hold it by the light head it is easy to loosen this or the lens bezel whilst tightening the end cap, apart from that O cannot fault this light for the money it costs.

I even made a goodman handle for mine.

PICT0006.JPG

Last edited:

johnohuk

Newly Enlightened
Just loving these lights... Bought a second one to come to SCAPA Flow with me ...45m -10m, various runtimes... Only one slight issue, one of the on/off rings is stiffer than the other... Using second one as video light with diffuser.. Mixed result so experimenting... 2 days to go.

McGlencoe

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered one of those light due to the positive comments in this thread, I'll check back in after it shows up and I get a dive or two in.

Thx

Tim

McGlencoe

Newly Enlightened
My cheapo CREE light showed up a few weeks ago and now have 6 dives with it and holy smokes it has surprised me and my dive buddies!

Bright and so far very reliable. Four dives have been in the 50'/15m range, one was at 85'/25m range and the deepest was 110'/33m range. I silicone greased the o-rings as recommended above and no leaks yet. :sssh:

Some of the guys are now wanting to get their own and the Sola guys are trying to make excuses why their $350+ light is better than this little $35.00 light....:laughing:

I want to order a couple more for backups and to play around with a couple ideas.

Thanks for the lead on a great little light.

johnohuk

Newly Enlightened
What like this :-

IMG_20130816_110020.jpg

I didn't try it underwater but it was a reasonably tight fit and screwed onto the threads fine.

If your thinking of putting a cable on the end, you could cut the lug off and drill through I suppose.. But with a 3200mha battery they last quite a while... not measured it yet but easily 2-3 days diving if not longer..

Last edited:

Latest posts