Using dynamo/solor to power bike

cruisin

Newly Enlightened
Since there seem to be many technically knowledgeable people here I thought I'd ask if these same approaches for powering lights could be extended to recharge the power supply on an electric bike, for the bike's locomotion. I would be using something like this conversion kit, mounted on a hybrid bike like a Trek 7.5. The idea would be a dynamo, and then a solar panel mounted on a pull-behind Bob trailer, there's enough room to rig up a 1x3 foot panel. It would be for a xcountry trip, so there would be a lot of riding and outside time every day, in terms of allowing the two mechanisms time to do their jobs. Active use of the motor would likely be limited to an hour or two a day.

Go easy on me, electrical engineering is not my field. Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have other people used e-bikes for touring? Seems like there would be logistical issues of the type you're hoping to address.

The extra weight of the electric propulsion system (18 pounds in this case) usually means that it's only useful if you can use all of the time. Otherwise, you end up carrying around 18 pounds of dead weight that is noticeably slowing you down (relative to the bare bike). Adding a solar panel (a few pounds?) in order to put a bit of charge back into the battery is just going to slow you down further.

I think there is a need to run a few calculations. If the desire is to charge the battery fully, you'll need a panel that can produce roughly 24v and provide 10A hours during the day. Without the ability to aim the solar panel, it might be safe to assume that you'll get full power for only 4 hours a day (a rough guess). That means that the panel will have to provide about 2 amps at 24v for those 4 hours (okay.... let's say 5 hours, to keep the math simple). The panel will need to be at least a 48 watt panel (24v x 2 amps), assuming 100% efficiency. Can you get a 1' x 3' panel that can provide 48 watts? Offhand, I don't know.

As far as a dynamo (like a hub dynamo?).... if it is only producing 3 watts, then it's not going to make a significant difference when it comes to charging a 24v, 10A hr battery. It would take 80 hours to fully recharge the battery.

Overall, my guess is that an e-bike is only practical if you use the electric assist all of the time. Otherwise, you're dragging around an awful lot of extra hardware that will really slow you down. I'd recommend putting 18 pounds in your panniers/trailer and seeing what that extra weight feels like. Is it worth carrying that that extra weight in order to get an assist for one or two hours?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solar panels are over rated when space is limited. The sun provides 300 watts per square meter at San Francisco (10 square feet). You have 1/3 that so you get 100 watts. With solar panels at 15% efficiency your maximum input is 15 watts. At noon on a sunny day. (My electric fan says 50 watts on the sticker)

The person who used to run CPFgreen had a big solar panel on his roof charging his electric SUV all day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62fGYEtZ1gA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMSZy1N3u_Y
Suggest you do something similar. Bigger solar panel on roof or backyard charging up a battery. Then swapping the battery before you go for a ride.