V54 Supbeam K50vn (XM-L2 dedome, 4x18650, rechargeable) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS+

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
K50vn seems to have an edge at "close" (less than a few hundred meters) because the corona supports the hotspot and enables more to be seen. But at extreme distance the stronger, fatter hotspot of the TK61vn would be superior because the corona no longer is bright enough to factor in.
Yes, that is my impression as well. Haven't figured out how to do 500+ meter beamshots yet, but this is what you would see (as long as the distance was great enough to cancel out the corona effects).

Of course, I'm not sure how many of us need to see that far ;) ... at close distances, both models puts a lot of light on target. The TK61vn is more of a defined spotbeam though.

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Excellent review ;) it would be nice if you, rdrfronty and jmpaul320 could trade k50vn's to do some cross testing. There seems to be a huge amount of variability in the numbers of the k50vns out there. Rdrfronty measured 1755 (otf?) lumens and 542k lux. Jmpaul320 measured 1306 to 1370 otf lumens and 545k lux. You measured 450k lux and (estimated) 1500 otf lumens. 400 lumens and 100,000 lux is quite a difference.

Yeah my gut feeling is that mine is pushed a little harder. I tested with 4 x 3100 Panasonic cells and got the same runtime as your L6 test but on L5. L6 runs less but is visibly about identical so I suspect L6 is higher current but at the limits of lumens-current drive. Mine's never been measured but I'd be happy to let anyone test who has the right equipment.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Yeah my gut feeling is that mine is pushed a little harder. I tested with 4 x 3100 Panasonic cells and got the same runtime as your L6 test but on L5. L6 runs less but is visibly about identical so I suspect L6 is higher current but at the limits of lumens-current drive.
I think TEEJ summed it up very well - you really should expect more variability between modded lights than stock ones. In that sense, your approach of comparing runtimes is a good one - with flat-regulated levels, it should you a fairly good idea about how much harder yours is driven from mine. If I get the chance, I'll repeat the L5 test on Panasonic 3100mAhs, so folks have data to compare to. :)

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review, selfbuilt. My K50vn is a sweet light. I had Vinh put a de-domed 5000K XM-L2 in mine and the tint is very pleasing to me. It still impresses me every time I turn it on. It has a lot going for it and I think that the TK61vn unfairly gets more attention just because of the higher lux numbers. I would take the K50vn over the TK61vn anyday for all the reasons that have already been mentioned.

treejohnny

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Selfbuilt for the awesome reviews!

I am looking for a new flashlight and you have reviewed all 3 that I have on my list, TN32, K50 and the K50vn. I prefer the 'daylight' versions of lights and I am leaning toward the TN32. It looks like even the K50vn 6000k version has more green tint than I care for? I do like the in light charging of the K50 but in the real world I am not sure how many times the light will need a charge during a trip/outing, and maybe the extra weight of the K50 should help me decide on backpacking adventures. I noticed you did not compare the TN32 to K50vn, are they still comparable? I am planning on using Panasonic 3400 protected batteries in my new light. I would imagine my new light will mostly get used for lighting up the back yard and various animals out the car window.

I currently EDC Zebralight H600 and have the Crelant 7GCS with collimator head, and various other cheap lights.
I need to replace my current dual ****fire charger and I am looking at the Xtar VP4 if I get the the TN32.

Thank you all for any help you might be able to offer.

InfinitusEquitas

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can ask Vinh to do PDTw... warm dedome tint with no green tint to it. TN32 is somewhat smaller but not much versus the K50.

K40vn with PDTw would be a better option size wise. It will outperform both of the stock lights by a very wire margin.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
It looks like even the K50vn 6000k version has more green tint than I care for?
As InfinitusEquitas points out, you can get Vinh do to a PDTw tint. That should keep it fairly green-free. And the K40vn is another excellent option, to keep the weight down.

I noticed you did not compare the TN32 to K50vn, are they still comparable?
Well, there's only so much room for the beamshots in any one review - and the TN32 is still in all the tables and runtimes here. You could check out the regular K50 review for beamshots comparisons (i.e., K50 to K50vn in this review, K50 to TN32 in that review).

I need to replace my current dual ****fire charger and I am looking at the Xtar VP4 if I get the the TN32.
That's an excellent charger - but keep in mind the current drops to 0.5A per well if you are charging 4 cells simultaneously. You may be better off with two VP2 chargers, to ensure rapid 1A charging in all cases.

Latest posts