Variable Frequency Drives - need fractional H.P. VFD with 200V, 3PH, 400Hz system

BVH

Flashaholic
My two new Short Arc searchlights utilize a Rotron 22,000 RPM Vaneaxial fan driven with 200VAC, 3PH, 400 Hz (or preferable Variable Freq.) power. It draws only .4 Amps at normal load. I just talked with the fan mfg and they don't make the fan nor a drive for it any more (it's 30+ years old). Can anyone suggest where to start looking for such a small power output VFD with an input range of up to 30 VDC or I could even use household 120/240 VAC, 1 PH for input.

I thought this was going to be a needle in a haystack venture but just one call to the first searched vendor indicates I can get just what I need for about $150 - AC input.

Last edited:

gt40

Enlightened
I need another vfd for my lathe conversion. I went with a vector drive plus before. Are there any better/ cheaper options in the 3hp range? Wolf automation will be where I am ordering from...

wquiles

Flashaholic
I need another vfd for my lathe conversion. I went with a vector drive plus before. Are there any better/ cheaper options in the 3hp range? Wolf automation will be where I am ordering from...

For my shop Quincy compressor, and my milling machine, I used the more premium NEMA4 AC Vector drives, but I used the less expensive TECO on my bandsaw project:
http://www.wolfautomation.com/products/28926/compact-micro-ac-drivebr14-to-3hp-single-or-3-phase-brteco-evjnev-series

precisionworks

Flashaholic
... Are there any better/ cheaper options in the 3hp range? ...

You can buy better or you can buy cheaper but it's impossible to buy better & cheaper at the same time :crackup:

For any machine tool you'll want a vector drive as it maintains full motor torque at all motor shaft rpms.

The TECO-Westinghouse EV-Series (built in China) is what WQuiles used on his bandsaw conversion. Open enclosure drive for $232 at Wolfe (JNEV-203-H1). Spec a NEMA4 sealed enclosure for $442 ... or for way under $200 you can build your own enclosure. Easy enough to program even for me.

Next drive is the DuraPulse by Hitachi. Hitachi makes their high end drives in Japan & the low cost drives like this in China. GS3-23PO is $347 at AutomationDirect.com

I've never configured a DuraPulse but it's exactly the same as most other Hitachi drives. IMHO it's not the easiest one to configure because it uses a program loop:

Image-9853934-216439826-2-WebSmall_0_e0673a7185a97335132522029ec84509_1

ACTech drives are my personal favorite (three in my shop) & pricing is about the same as the DuraPulse. In a NEMA1 open enclosure $367 (ESV222N02YXB) or in NEMA4 at $497 (ESV222N02YXC) from Wolfe.

Even though the ACTech drive is $130 more than the TECO it's worth considering. It's a more robust drive & is built in Massachusetts, USA. Configuring the drive is dead simple. The microprocessor has greater throughput & is able to handle a more sophisticated control algorithm. You many never notice the diff but my drives often run at 6 Hz under very heavy load & show no signs of problems. I can't speak for the TECO as none are in my shop.

If you feel you'll push it hard go with the ACTech. If most of the use is at 30 Hz (half speed) or greater the TECO may do very well.