Verifying CC/CV Charging Algorithm

Chris762

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,
I looked around the forums but didn't quite find an answer, so if I missed it I apologize.

I ordered a charger that claims to use CC/CV charging algorithm. Is there a way to verify and test to see if it truly is charging at cc/cv ? The only equipment I have is a multimeter, no hobby chargers or testers.

thanks,
Chris

Shadowww

Banned
Well, only way I could think of is:
1. discharge cell completely
2. put it in charger with DMM connected to cell in parallel, set DMM to voltage mode, take readings every 5 minutes
3. discharge cell completely once again
4. put it in charger with DMM connected to cell in series, set DMM to current mode, take readings every 5 minutes
5. Plot two lines you got on a graph (e.g. using Excel), and you'll see whether it looks like CC/CV or not.

Last edited:

Chris762

Newly Enlightened
How do I connect in parallel vs series? Sorry not that experienced with dmm

Alpinebully

Newly Enlightened
Testing the voltage; Battery is installed in the battery charger.

DMM terminals > red lead touch it to the + end of the battery, black lead touch it to the - end of the battery. (The DMM is basically Parallel to the battery & Charger)

Current;

(U You will need some wire and little clips to do it properly) Basically you are running the DMM inbetween one end of the battery and the charger).

So you basically have ie. + end of the battery is connected with some wire and little alligator clips to the + terminal on the battery charger. Then you have the red lead on the DMM (set to current mode) touching the -ive end of the battery, and the black lead of your DMM is then touching the -ive terminal on the battery charger.

(DMM is now in series between the battery and the charger).

moderator007

Enlightened
In series the DMM has to be in the circuit to measure the current going through the circuit. It passes through the DMM.
In parallel you measure across the + and - to measure the voltage. Here's a guide for the DMM.
Also if you have two DMM's you could do it with one charge cycle, using both at the same time.

Last edited:

Latest posts