Video lights for cave diving

oms121

Kaidomain has had that for a while! Best thing to do is remove the driver and put a real one on it like the Taskled. It is severely underdriven. It is also a big floody spot. Although much tighter than the reflectorless triple XML.

We are looking to make dive video lights but everything seems to be too focused. Have you tried these LED with no reflector or lens? Or do you have a suggestion for elimating the spot?

Thanks

Mark

350xfire

We are looking to make dive video lights but everything seems to be too focused. Have you tried these LED with no reflector or lens? Or do you have a suggestion for elimating the spot?

Thanks

Mark

for no spot go with no reflector, I'll warn you that it will not throw far at all. I think a combination of lights may work best.

gasdiver

Hector,
Since you've expressed a concern about multi-led lights not throwing very well, I've decided to try facing down one of the DX Cree 5*R2's as an experiment.

First I disassembled the module.
03.jpg

Then I put it in the lathe and faced it down in order to make the beam wider.
05.jpg

Here is the reflector after I finished my first attempt.
06.jpg

Here is the original beam pattern from about 10' away.
reflector_factory.jpg

Here is the modified reflector.
reflector_machined.jpg

Here is the pattern with no reflector at all.
reflector_none.jpg

My conclusion is that while the mod did spread the beam to a larger "hot spot" I still need to cut it down some more. I'll post another picture after I do that.