video lights needed...

pulltooth

Newly Enlightened
im new to this forum and in search for options for video dive lights im looking for lights that would be adequate for cave diving in florida. if there is someone on this forum that makes them or has options. ive been told that twin 6000 lumen might be a descent start. Thanks for any advice
scott

betti154

Enlightened
I've done a fair bit of video light stuff including caves in Florida.

I agree, dual 6000 lumen is about right for the lighter caves like jb, peacock, etc... Darker caves like ginnie will more complex lighting, eg off camera setups to even make a dent.

Are you ccr or oc? If ccr, you'll want decent burn time too which means canister and cable.

Variable power solutions will be helpful for restrictions.

My other advice is don't skimp on parts. At 6000 lumens you're talking 70watts ish or more, so get good batteries, drivers and heatsinks.

The current lights we are building are ~12000 lumens each head, but they're so wide that you lose intensity and through with bare LEDs (no optics). I'm also building hybrid solutions (optic plus bare LEDs) for models to swim with off camera.

There's some cave video on my site if you're interested.

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have made a few "tube" style video lights.

The more light you want the more length you add!
The size is very compact and I think it will provide a wider beam than most other design since the "lens" goes around the LED instead in front of it ( untested and pure opinion).

Shown here is a twin head 3x XML lumen light.
I have also made a single 6x XML light for another customer who has just asked for another to be built.
XMLvideo.jpg

The video is using a similar 2 x SST50 single head light.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w9N_SD_C4s

350xfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have built a single 8000 lumen light using 8 XML. The overall response has been that a wide reflector is needed to "focus" the beam a bit. XMLs without reflectors flood too much and not enough throw. There are a few options out there for 3 XML reflectors so I was whinking a combination of reflector and reflectorless lights would be good.

Packhorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well there are always trade offs.

If you shoot in wide angle ( and most UW video is) then you need wide angle lighting.

A 120 degree video light will cover most of the area unless you have a fish eye lens ( Like a Go Pro).
You could use optics to reduce the beam to 60 degrees and it will throw more. But it wont be 4 times as far but it will only cover 1/4 the area.

I guess the question is would you be happy with uneven lighting? In many cases it doesnt really matter and having the "throw" is more important.

Latest posts