Vintage Light Photos

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Re: The Whole Gang

All plastic on the outside with a plastic lens. Metal screws fasten the plastic slider switch to the inside where a metal strip like those old vulcanite lights conducts electricity to a metal bi-pin bulb fastener that is housed in plastic. Metal strips on the bulb fastener touch the reflector much like those ancient lights as well. Alluminum reflector and no wires inside.
I hope to acquire an early Streamlight SL20 at some point along with an early pushbutton type to see how much of the Pro Light ended up in that one.

It has been said that SL20 lights have similarities including charging system and that Don Keller began Pro Light shortly after leaving Kel Lite. It has been said Pro Light eventually ended up making lights to compete with Streamlights SL20, which for a time was the only model Streamlight made until acquiring Kel Lite. But it has also been said that the Pro Light Phaser Lights were the impetus of the SL20. So much conjecture for sure.

I'd like to start an "all things Don Keller" thread where folks can share products made by companies either owned by Don or influenced by him. But right now I'd rather not state rumors and I just don't have enough 'facts' to do a proper thread. But in a note he wrote to flashlight museum he stated why he left Kel Lite and that he started Pro Light shortly after then helped Tony Maglica during Maglite early years.

Oh and it seems as though the Streamlight Excalibur was what was the 3rd Gen Kel Lite with Streamlight producing it.

Last edited:

wjv

Enlightened

A recent addition to the vintage collection.

Nothing special, nothing too radical, but I thought it was cool.

Eveready Compass Lite

FYI

A person on eBay is now selling these. NEW - Old Stock, - Has 10 left

"NEW - Old Stock Eveready Compass Lite Aluminum 1950's Flashlight"

Note: I have NO connection to the seller other than I just ordered one from him/her. . . .

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Hey 6D Kwik Lite and 7D Dog Supply House meet your new baby brother the 10D Bright Star circa 1940 something..

This was the 2nd BrightStar logo
Used until the 1940's and was part of their battery sales pitch

Extension matches.
Was it a 6D with 4D extension? Or 4D with 6D extension?

Came with the original Mazda #248 bulb.

Back in those days most flashlights were designed and built as battery selling devices. Most flashlight makers back then were made by battery companies. Think about that for a few ticks... am I right?

Last edited:

1pt21

Enlightened

So Byk,

When will the museum be open to spectators?? :sssh:

You've got to have enough inventory to keep people interested for a while now LOL :twothumbs

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast

Eveready Captain / Union Carbide - 10" Chrome - Wide Head 3xD 9352 ~ 1965
do these have a metal reflector?
my later one has plastic and is its achillies heel.
a modern bulb damages these.

bykfixer

Flashaholic

So Byk,

When will the museum be open to spectators?? :sssh:

You've got to have enough inventory to keep people interested for a while now LOL :twothumbs

My dogs tend to bite the visitors. So I'll do some sort of setup where folks can browse and if they choose can acquire a piece of history for their own displaying.

I'll put together a news letter at the Milepost with the details, once I figure out how to.

Last edited:

wjv

Enlightened

A 10x'D" cell flashlight!!!

That's awesome.

I guess back then, that was one of the only ways to get increased voltages so that you could have brighter lights! (No solid state boost circuits)

2.42 inches x 10 = 24.2 inches, plus the head and the tail cap, so the light is ~28-30 inches long!!!!

That's a pretty hefty light! :huh:

sgt253

Enlightened

Here is one of my latest acquisitions. Its a Niagara Trailblazer circa 1934. Love the condition that its in for an 83 year old light...
v7fnfq.jpg

207189k.jpg
2ym8wib.jpg

with its cousin, a 1934 Niagara Pioneer...
157lje0.jpg

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic

A couple of scout lights thanks to a tip from Scout24 a while ago. These were some of the first vintage lights in my collection.

Believe it or not the top one is the oldest.
Both are made by BMG. The top one is a circa 1950's Cub Scout light. The bottom one an official BoyScout product circa mid 1970's you either purchased via an order form from Boys Life magazine, ordered through your troop or bought at the officially sanctioned Boy Scout supply store we call JC Penney.

Last edited: