Visually impaired need bright light

Frecupido

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I would like a single cell 3000 L light with a lot of spill, any suggestions? I often walk at night for about 40 minutes. I know, I'm asking alot.
Thanks

3_gun

Enlightened
Sadly I know of no light short of some of the search & rescue lights that can give you 3000L with that kind of run time and those will not be single cell lights.

My IF25a ran on turbo (3500'ish/L) for 20 minutes (5000mah 21700) on a 60F evening in a steady 35/40 mph breeze before the LVP kicked in. (yes I was holding out a car window;it still got warm)

Honestly you're going to need to open your format to a much larger light or lower your L/T expectations

Frecupido

Newly Enlightened
If you already have a 2x18650 host, there are Superbulb 6P drop-in modules that meet your criteria.
Hello, can you recommend a 2x18650 host and where can I get this drop in. I know I'm asking alot, but it's hard for me to research as I'm totally blind in on eye, and the other eye can make out even the big E on an eye chart

Frecupido

Newly Enlightened
Actually my need is not desperate and my knowledge is limited, so I'm retracting my petition for help, im asking for too much.. Thank you and I wish everyone the best.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
No that's what we are here for! Get the sc700 and a few extra batteries to keep in a battery holder. You will be good to go. I do have a question however, my wife is blind in one eye and 20-200 in her other eye. (Still blind IMO ) Why are you walking at night with impaired vision? A flashlight isn't going to help that. The shadows she sees at night time are exponentially worse than in the day time and she won't drive at night even with her glasses. I'm just curious, not chastising you at all. Is the sun worse for you than the darkness?

GoVegan

Enlightened
Hi Frecupido, don't give up just yet!

I'm guessing that the 3000L lumens is based on previous experience of using a cheep Amazon Chinese made light, that may have been advertised as very high lumen, but actually wasn't.
Honestly I'm certain that even 1000 lumens is going to help see very well on your walks.

As you need something very bright, you'll want a light that is rechargeable, and not too small for a larger battery capacity. You probably won't want to mess about taking the battery out to recharge too, as you'll risk dropping the tailcap. So this narrows the selection down a bit. You'll also want to avoid some of the lights that where the heads get too hot (like Olight), as that is too risky for you.

So I'd recommend any of the following:

Maglite ML150LR(X)
[Maglite also have other large rechargeable models]

Streamlight Stinger 2020

Fenix PD36R

Fenix PD40R V2

LEDLenser MT10

Pelican 7600

Pelican 8060

The above range from 1000 - 3000 lumens, all rechargeable with battery in-place, and all will most certainly be more than bright enough for you.

If I had to pick just one, hmmm tough choice. All great for different reasons, such as size. materials, backup batteries etc, depends on your own preferences.

Good luck.

BTW get a high vis jacket, or waist band too, and don't overlook the need for a good bright headlamp, as actually it may be a better option, depending on where you are walking at night.

Last edited:

GoVegan

Enlightened
Actually once more thing. I'm also going to recommend looking at Nightstick's duty lights as they are bright, rechargeable have some high-vis options, but a little less lumens. Their main feature that you may find useful is that they are dual output, a normal beam plus a downward facing flood light so that you can see directly at your feat while still aiming the flashlight forward.

For example:
Nightstick NSR-9920XL

If these options are too expensive, please advise on your budget. But keep in mind you normally get what you pay for, and it will be harder to recommend a cheaper light.

Hello, can you recommend a 2x18650 host and where can I get this drop in. I know I'm asking alot, but it's hard for me to research as I'm totally blind in on eye, and the other eye can make out even the big E on an eye chart
Hi Frecupido... Just in case you still want to play with an affordable 2x18650 host, KaiDomain offers the following:

502D FLASHLIGHT SHELL - BLACK (1 PC) / Product Code : S024923 / $9.30 plus shipping.

1630625903218.png

Frecupido

Newly Enlightened
Thank You, I have ordered the PD36R, now I'm going to have to think of ordering 502D FLASHLIGHT SHELL, as soon as I determine which Drop in to use.
Thank You

Here's a drop-in suggestion. Manfactured by Sportac; also available from several of the reputable merchants who support this forum. (Choose your favorite and place your order...)

Sportac Triple LED P60 Dropin for 18650 Host

For maximum lumen output. Floody beam. High CRI-92.
3xCREE XP-G2 S2 Cool White LED or 3xNichia 219 CRI-92 5000K LED.

• 1224/900 LED lumen (3*XP-G2 S2/3*Nichia 219 CRI92 LED)
  • 925/676 ANSI FL-1 lumen (3*XP-G2 S2/3*Nichia 219 CRI92 LED)
  • Runtime: 0.8/1.1 hours
    (2xCR123A/3xCR123A)
  • Voltage input: 2.7V - 9V
  • Weight: 1.3o.z. (36g)
  • Compatible with most standard 18650 aluminum P60 flashlight host (e.g. solarforce)
  • 4,200 center lux @ 1 meter, beam distance 141 yards, spot angle 18° with spill angle 90°(3*XP-G2)
  • 2,100 center lux @ 1 meter, beam distance 100 yards, spot angle 18° with spill angle 90°(3*Nichia 219)