Waaaaaa - My Arc-LE works half the time HELP!

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is a little troublesome too. I think I have noticed that when it`s cold it works pretty good. I wear it around my neck so it about body temp and unless the batts are brand new it comes on about 1/2 power...cleaning it may or may not help. But if it does it`s only temporary. In addition sometimes it simply will not light.

I beleive the plating the Arc company is putting on the new models will solve the problem. And I will buy the CPF light and wear it around my neck...and put the old one on my key chain. I think this will be my solution.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Carpe Diem:
Txwest...

Try cleaning the contacts with rubbing alcohol, and wipe off most of the lubricant that`s on the threads.

I bet that will work.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I tried that. What really puzzels me is the fact that I can just let it sit for awhile & it will cure itself. TX

Darell

Flashaholic
Send it in to Peter, Tex. It is the only solution at this point. Out of my, uh...12...I had one that did that too. Peter replaced it, and I've never looked back. You've obviously tried all the normal fixes, so don't beat yourself up about it anymore.

KenBar

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gransee:
We have responded by adding Chemkote to the interior surfaces starting with version 3.0. Standard Arc-AAAs in version 3.0 started shipping earlier this week to dealers.

Chemkote is a clear gold-colored tint that is applied to the aluminum surfaces inside the flashlight. It is a corrosion inhibitor and a conductivity enhancer. It improves the action of the thread, the grounding to the PCB and helps the negative contact resist corrosion.

Peter Gransee
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------------------------------
Is it possible to buy a jar/vial of this stuff?

I am cleaning my contacts weekly...which I don't mind. It would be nice to clean every 3 months or so and put a fresh coat of this stuff on it. This is still my favorite small flashlight. I would never be without it. I wondered if "sweat" was causing it to oxidize. It is around my neck always...except in the shower.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Darell,
I'm past the point of "beating myself up". When I read your post, I picked up the light & twisted it to make it come on. It didn't. Twisted it 2 more times, & it came on. It's way past the point of makeing it work. I have the ultimate need to know why it doesn't work (at times). Obsesive behavior..??? Probably. But what the heck....there are worse things to be obsesive about. TX
EDIT:8:30 2 min later. I picked up the light & tried it again. Didn't come on.

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wolfman:
Is it possible to buy a jar/vial of this stuff?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm pretty sure that this is a plating, not an "apply with a Q-tip" type of product. Similar (same?) as anodizing if it's the same stuff in my SureFire.

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by txwest:
there are worse things to be obsesive about. TX<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You got that right, Tex. Hey, if you're having fun, who am I to stand in the way? I just didn't want any casual readers of this thread to think that Peter would let any Arc owners twist in the wind.

Have you tried throwing yours at a concrete wall yet? May want to give that a try.
grin.gif

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darell:
You got that right, Tex. Hey, if you're having fun, who am I to stand in the way? I just didn't want any casual readers of this thread to think that Peter would let any Arc owners twist in the wind.

Have you tried throwing yours at a concrete wall yet? May want to give that a try.
grin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I would think that the regular readers would know that we are not "nuts", & that ARC stands behind its products. Beyond that....Well.... I'll try the concrete trick. TX

cybersoga

Newly Enlightened
My well used Arc-LE also recently started going dim and flickering, for no apparent reason - tried cleaning the contacts etc but it still flickered. Peter responded very quickly and I had a replacement within a week. Great service.

KenBar

Enlightened
This is almost too simple....but perhaps it is an answer to the work/not work Arc question.

Last night it happened to me as well. It was almost exactly like the previous posts. So, naturally I assume my Arc has the malady as well. 5 min later...it starts working.

This was a battery issue. \

My battery had become run down...no problem with the arc. It must have been right at the threshold voltage...I had not realized that it had been 2 weeks since I had changed batteries.....sort of slipped up on me. The batteries I use are not bulk...if that matters...and I get a nice recovery from then. Bright light 5 min...then back to moon mode. I think I read a post a long time ago that said if you run out of power...leave the Arc on. It will give emergency light longer than if you turn it off as it switches back to FULL POWER mode which will run the battery down faster.

This is not to say that this is the problem with the other ones.... JUST to say that my symptoms mirrored the ones written about earlier. A battery swap fixed everything.

I had ALSO done my usual Saturday night "clean" which gave me a clue. I usually get very consistent behavior up to 3-4 days right after the eraser clean and alcohol wipe down. Instead, I used it for 5 min, turned it off, and it did not come back on at all. Right after a clean, it comes on easily.

Still waiting on the answer for the contact wipe stuff Chemkote. Is it a Q-Tip type of stuff that a person can do...and how much would a vial/bottle cost and where could you get it?

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wolfman,
You could be right. Just checked my battery & it's 1.15V It's easy with these regulated LED lights to forget about the battery since the light is still so bright. I'll put a new one in & try it out. TX

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gransee:
Oh, yeah. Definately check the battery.
smile.gif
If the cell is measuring 1.15v without a load, then it is definately below a volt under load.

I just assumed the worse when you said the light was dimmer than usaul. Didn't think about the battery.

There are problems caused by corrosion though.

Chemkote is applied in a dipping process. Swabbing would not create a very thick coating if at all.

Peter Gransee
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto, check that battery under load. But It should NOT be necessary to clean all the contacts in between battery changes though. -not at avg. 100mA draw.....But of course it's always wise to check for cell leakage. Also, as I said before, if the unit is flickering, you can see if the circuit is OK by checking the head (by itself-with an outboard battery holder and jumper connection) for proper operation.

I really hate to send things back for exchange, but I suspect a couple people on this thread will probably have to
frown.gif

The good news is that when you get one that works as intended, you'll be very happy-as I am with my LE..It has not even flickered in well over an estimated 1000-1200 activations
shocked.gif
smile.gif

But I do clean and inspect all the comtact areas (as well as new batteries) with contact enhancer/lube.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Alright Doug.What is contact enhancer/lube?
Sounds like that could come in handy.
grin.gif

troy

KenBar

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Troy Webber:
grin.gif

troy
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ditto......
Where can you buy it?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Troy Webber:
grin.gif

troy
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The kind I use is cat.#16-125 from Hosfelt Electronics.-Also makes operation real smooooth. The spray is really made for cleaning & revitalizing industrial electrical connections (switches etc.), and is highly conductive. TV tuner cleaner works well too-as long as it has a light lube element.

txwest

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I've been turning my LE on & off all day since I replaced the battery without one instance of not comming on. Guess that was the problem on mine. It's strange though. I took the battery & put in my backup LE & have been turning it on & off all day also. No failure yet. Could be just a different threshold in the electronics. TX

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, yeah. Definately check the battery.
smile.gif
If the cell is measuring 1.15v without a load, then it is definately below a volt under load.

I just assumed the worse when you said the light was dimmer than usaul. Didn't think about the battery.

There are problems caused by corrosion though.

Chemkote is applied in a dipping process. Swabbing would not create a very thick coating if at all.

Peter Gransee