• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Wait for Hive to be available for Haiku.. or buy now?

gonefishing

Enlightened
Hello,
So I've been a long time admire of Dons' lights and would like to finally purchase a Haiku next month. However, I really like the idea to be able to program my light such as with the Aqua series. I missed out on the last xpg wave and am afraid that if I wait for the Hive to be an option, the xpg wave will be long gone.... Any thoughts?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hello,
So I've been a long time admire of Dons' lights and would like to finally purchase a Haiku next month. However, I really like the idea to be able to program my light such as with the Aqua series. I missed out on the last xpg wave and am afraid that if I wait for the Hive to be an option, the xpg wave will be long gone.... Any thoughts?

A HIVE converter for the Haiku is most definitely vapor at this moment and it may not even be vapor of any substance or reality. I know Martin wants to experiment with coming up with a converter that could fit in the light engines I am building for the "E" series McClickie lights I am now building but that doesn't mean he will be successful nor does it mean that I will opt to move away from the established AA, 3S and 6V buck converters I am currently using in these lights. There are a number of issues and considerations involved which don't favor or perhaps even support a higher current, programmable converter to be housed in the removable light engines.

When I decided it was time to design and offer a larger light based on the 18650 Li-Ion battery it just so happened that Martin had contacted me about considering his HIVE converter and the fit seemed like a very good one with potential not present in the smaller lights. The Aqua lights have much greater thermal capacity as well as battery capacity and they have room for a significantly larger converter. I have very strong reservations against a light that is programmable by default and a converter in one of these light engines would require this unless I also changed the rear contact PCB allowing for a pair of additional leads that brought a jumper to the exterior and provided access for such an option to be available to the user. This all moves away from the KISS principle in design and execution which I wish to maintain.

Candidly I don't want to rule out any possibility in what might come to light in the future but I see a hive type converter in the Haiku as very unlikely and certainly not happening in any forseeable future. A clickie pak for the Aqua lights is something I am working on and it will be for the 18650 battery. I think it much more likely that I would end up offering a clickie using an 18350 Li-Ion cell than a new version of Haiku with programmable converter within. Neither of these is on the drawing board at present.

calflash

Enlightened
A clickie pak for the Aqua lights is something I am working on and it will be for the 18650 battery. I think it much more likely that I would end up offering a clickie using an 18350 Li-Ion cell than a new version of Haiku with programmable converter within. Neither of these is on the drawing board at present.

yahoooooooo!

I think I would pick an 18350 aqua over a haiku for edc, despite the larger diameter. I hope there is lots of success in the development of these paks!

Cough cough...18350 pd pak would be killer... cough cough. I hope that can make it to your drawing board:)

dbleznak

Enlightened
A 18650 C-Pak!!! A18350 Haiku!!!! Don, I just fainted on floor and now I'm jumping up and down like my team just won the Super Bowl !!!

gonefishing

Enlightened
Thank you Don. Your quick response has made my decision very easy. I must say that your professionalism and constant presence on this forum is what has really made feel comfortable purchasing from you. You will be hearing from me next month!

rush

Newly Enlightened
Don has given a profound answer as usual. There certainly is no reason at this point to hold off getting a fine light as a Haiku!
A Hive driver for the E-series lights is indeed vapor at the moment, one might also say that it is in the earlier stages of development. As Don has pointed out, there are some implications involved and it is too early to tell how it all works out.

However i am grateful to know that there is interest out there and it does help very much to hear from you. The more interest there is, the more likely it is that it will happen :)

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don has given a profound answer as usual. There certainly is no reason at this point to hold off getting a fine light as a Haiku!
A Hive driver for the E-series lights is indeed vapor at the moment, one might also say that it is in the earlier stages of development. As Don has pointed out, there are some implications involved and it is too early to tell how it all works out.

However i am grateful to know that there is interest out there and it does help very much to hear from you. The more interest there is, the more likely it is that it will happen :)

Personal challenge Rush... make it happen. Ich wuerde es kaufen :)

eala

rush

Newly Enlightened
Danke, eala! :)

Of course i am in for the challenge - and while progress might not be lightning fast, things are moving forward at a somewhat steady pace.