Walmart rant

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm never setting foot in Walmart again. From their crappy service to their ignorant employees and their support of cheap plastic Chinese garbage, I'm done. I'll pay more and buy elsewhere.

Anyone else?

Last edited:

cutlerylover

Banned
I agree, although its too convenient for me to protest them...lol, I agree that 9 out of 10 times their employees are NO help what-so-ever...but I dont have much else besides walmart by me so although I would liek to give my money to someone else I just can't afford to drive an extra 50 miles to another store...

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
Diesel_Bomber said:
I'm never setting foot in Walmart again. From their crappy service to their ignorant employees to their support of cheap plastic Chinese garbage and the enormous crouds of idiots that populate their stores, I'm done. I'll pay more and buy elsewhere.

Anyone else?
I agree.

springbok

Newly Enlightened
I vowed the same thing....but alas, i did return after a brief boycott.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Wlmart near me which is a dump. I have one about 30 minutes away that's really nice. Management issue, I suppose.

SoundMix

Newly Enlightened
I have no problem with Walmart. I don't shop there much but when I do go, I find the help friendly and competant.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought the salespeople were more knowledgeable or at least friendly then those I have experienced in previous big box stores such as Kmart, Ames and Zayres which were one time popular in my part of the country. I'll agree about the clientèle though. I've ran into some nasty, rude and obviously uneducated shoppers in there.

What is different about a Super Center as opposed to a regular Walmar?. There is one maybe 15 miles from my house but I as of yet haven't bothered going there.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Walmart is not at the top of places I shop. EDIT: My shopping experience at Walmart was unpleasant and offensive.

Last edited:

cutlerylover

Banned
geepondy said:
What is different about a Super Center as opposed to a regular Walmar?.

A super walmart has an entire food center inside the same building as well as a place to eat which can be a taco bell or subway or any other chain, all inside the walmart building...Thats what I have by me...

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Like any retailer, there can be significant differences in consumer experiences from store to store. I've been in one WallyWorld that felt kind of dumpy and many (but not all) of the staff seemed listless and self-absorbed. I've also been in other WallyWorlds where my experience was exactly the opposite. I can say the same for Best Buy, Circuit City... even McDonald's. There are issues regarding management style/competence as well as societal pressures that figure into these differences.

There have been a few stores where my experience was so outrageously bad that I won't go in there anymore as a matter of principle. In each of those cases something happened that made me feel personally violated by the staff in one way or another.
:shakehead

Last edited:

jarobi

Enlightened
The thing I've noticed about Wal-Mart is the culture change in the last decade. Back then, most stores I frequented were staffed by vested employees, many with 10+ years service. they cared about the company and took their jobs seriously. Since the charge to China for rock bottom prices, they've cut their bottom line with more part time employees, slashed benefits, etc. Stores aren't as clean, more items are out of stock, and the assistance from staff which was the trademark is not what it was. More turnover and managerial demand on fewer employees to do more work has taken a toll. In the end, I blame the consumer's demand for uber cheap/disposable goods (I point the finger at myself too) for the changes at WM.

EDIT: I offer another subjective observation. It seems the closer the store is to Bentonville, the better it is :).

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't set foot in a Wal-Mart in several years. The merchandise was garbage, the employees nonexistant, the customers animalistic, the stores unpleasant to be in, and the prices weren't low enough to warrant the trouble.

The current company policy seems to be to eradicate both local employers and local suppliers, and replace both with the solitary Wal-Mart so their customers also become their workers. Illegals are hired where they won't draw attention, benefits and wages for Americans are kept at the legal minimum. The suppliers Wal-Mart buys from get leveraged into having to provide costs so low they make trash, or go out of business, or get bought by Wal-Mart themselves.

I'm not one of those crazies saying Wal-Mart is evil, but their method of operation is destructive to the country. The idea that low quality merchandise and poor service is normal and acceptable.

TorchMan

Enlightened
I once felt that way about Wal-Mart, and did not set foot in one for about a decade after some bad service. That's changed though.

My last two trips have been pleasant. On both trips employees were extremely helpful. I emailed WalMart abut it their website, but never received any replies from them.

The first trip had an employee take me around the store to find things, not just say it isn't her department. I did find emlpoyees ducking and covering in that manner before her. I was tired and in a hurry, and she went above and beyond.

On the second trip I was looking at casual dress pants and the employee actually looked for my oddball sizes and found some! She spent over a half hour going through the shelves and hangers with me/for me.

I do hope WalMart rewards these employees for that, but I doubt it. I told the managers at both stores how great they were to me.

I have a lot of issues with their coporate ways. Something Wal-Mart This Way Comes!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Walmart has the widest variety of the stuff we NEED of any store I've ever been in!

That said, there are two WM about the same travel time north and south. I refuse to go to the south store, as it never seems to have the people, stuff and generally nice feeling of the Livingston store!!