Warm White Headlamps

MinasIthil

Newly Enlightened
Based on what I have heard from most people, warm white headlamps allows a person to see greater details in the dark than blue-white/cool-white headlamps.

Warm-white lights is what I will ultimately choose for my bicycle, but before I waste any money I would like to just be sure: are warm-white lights more inefficient than cool-white? Would warm-white require a greater input of power?

jcw122

Enlightened
Warm white lights are less efficient than cool white because they require extra phosphorous on the LED to get the desired tint. This leads to a reduction in output that is noticeable on paper but might not be significant in real world use.

jcw122

Enlightened
That being said there are benefits to warm white lights that I believe outweigh the efficiency losses. The biggest issue I run into is that lots of light makers don't have warm white versions, especially for high output lights.

MinasIthil

Newly Enlightened
That being said there are benefits to warm white lights that I believe outweigh the efficiency losses. The biggest issue I run into is that lots of light makers don't have warm white versions, especially for high output lights.

Thank you.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
other option:
I hate all the warm whites I have used till now, they make nothing better and - technically determined - are visibly less bright at the same current consumption.

neutral white ... thats what is the king atm.
Best of both worlds

jcw122

Enlightened
Sorry forgot to mention when I say warm white I meant any non-cool white light.