warmth of wood

garilla

Newly Enlightened
miserable state of NJ, actually it is only the pol
My brother gave me a Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) battery 12v which was used in emergency lighting in buildings so you can get out in case of power failure. 7.5Ah battery so figured I should put it to good use. At a garage sale found 2 MR16 track lights real cheap. I had this 3/4" shelf board lying around in the basement turns out it was made of Cherry wood. So off to the table saw and sliced it up, made a couple of joints and produced the box for the battery. I should have taken pictures while making it, hindsight is so clear. Anyways threw in a switch made a handle out of a metal clamp bracket and encased that in wood for a better feel.
100_0697.jpg

The heads swivel up down and a little left and right. I purposely didn't do a good sanding job so that it had an old look to it, notice the burn marks from the
router on the rounded edges.
100_0695.jpg

I rubbed in some boiled linseed oil for that old oil finish look. A 10watt MR11 and a 20watt MR16 bulb, the MR11 was streched a bit to fit the MR16 bulb holder and I used a paperclip to hold it in hehehehe.
100_0696.jpg

All flood light but really lights up the backyard really good, nice warm incan light, I have to take some outdoor shots still yet. Yeah I know one light is white and the other is black, I'll get around to making the other black!
100_0699.jpg

I have since added in a charging port on the side so I don't have to take apart the light to charge up. I used one of those computer power supply inputs that uses one of those reverse looking power cords.
100_0704.jpg

I have since oiled up my outdoor table with teak oil, how does it look?
100_0702.jpg

indoor in my basement on my light green colored walls, now the light has 2 20watt MR16 bulbs. I think I'll throw on another head for the 10watt bulb with an independant switch for long runtimes.
100_0712.jpg

And the shop area lit up
100_0717.jpg

Outdoor shots
100_0723.jpg

100_0724.jpg

100_0725.jpg

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
It is beautiful, and functional. I've got to get one of those battery setup's and see what I can cover it with. With that setup, you are just needing the next blackout (short one). :D

Bill

daf3m

Enlightened
I would have liked it even more if the heads where painted at a more neutral matching colour ...Maybe "brass" colour, along with all the other metallic surfaces..

Last edited:

GeetarHero

Newly Enlightened
VERY nice work! Love the "instant old" finish! Looks cool as-is but I have to agree with daf3m, brass fixtures would really add that finishing touch. (Please understand that I'm Not trying to offend) Fantastic work!

paulr

Flashaholic
Very beautiful! The only thing I could imagine doing differently with the cosmetics is using brass for the metal handle and switch. It looks great either way of course.

The charging connector looks like an IEC socket used for 3-wire 110 volt cords. You have the charging circuit inside the box? If not, (i.e. if it's for 12vdc) that's probably the wrong connector to use, since someone will plug it into 110 volts someday. You should use a dc connector of some type instead, preferably with at least a protection diode inside the box.

garilla

Newly Enlightened
miserable state of NJ, actually it is only the pol
Paulr
You are correct that is a 110v type plug used with a computer. Yes a potential exists for a mishap. The one mishap that always gets me thinking is the possibility of someone shorting the 12v battery in every car with a wrench when working on it, 600Amps! That flat surface top on the battery makes the best place to hold tools. I'll put a "12v ONLY" label on the light to make it UL approved.

paulr

Flashaholic
I'll put a "12v ONLY" label on the light to make it UL approved.

I think you should really use a different connector if you can. A wall cube style coaxial plug would be fine, and maybe some charge managing circuitry inside the light if you want to get fancy.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Beautiful & nice work! Something like that would be great to take on fishing or camping trips. We've been looking for something like this. :thumbsup: