I wouldn't want this to happen to anyone it could have been a lot worse, I could have been asleep, or since I work construction and it's winter, I could have had cover-all's on and not been able to get in my pocket quick enough. Like I said in my first post, I didn't even realize I put it in my pocket. For me it's just habit if I have something small I put it in my pocket. so be carful whatcha keep in in your pockets. Hope every one had a good new year.
If you think about it, there's a large amount of energy stored in a small battery, and if you provide that energy with a means to escape all at once, via a short, things are likely to go wrong (and hot) quite fast. :green:
There are good 123-size capsules (and other sizes) available that would prevent this type of incident. Well worth consideration, if you want to avoid unpleasant occurrences in the nether regions...
I did something similar with a little old rechargeable AAA several years ago. The spare in my pocket with my keys provided my thigh with quite an unexpected surprise! I am sure my friends thought I looked hilarious jumping up from the couch to dig furiously into my pocket in search of whatever was burning my leg.
I keep my spare batteries in one of two cases:
a) pharmacy pill containers; these come in various lengths and diameters so you can fit various types of cells in them from single 18650 to multiple aaa and aa combinations, and
b) blood test strip containers with the attached flip top lid which are pretty much perfect for one single CR123 cell.