Water Bottles: What do you use?

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Narrow cap nalgene, 1 liter. Have a bladder but prefer the bottle. If I needed another one I'd probably just reuse a Gatorade bottle. Basically the same thing only cheaper.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Damn... What for have I entered the thread?! Hydro Flask 64 oz Cobalt has been ordered...

And now I have to pray it is built in US :(

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Oh that reminds me! I did add a new bottle! For work days I picked up a Yeti 64 oz Rambler. A stainless bohemoth! But it keeps my water super cold in a hot truck all day so I'm happy. :)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I dunno, my HydroFlask products are perfectly fine. I wouldn't worry too much.

I must respectfully disagree. The hideously loud squeaking is likely to drive other members insane, over time. Again, if one can track them down, I can 1000% highly recommend the older HydroFlasks. I know of only one place that sells them. A somewhat radical health food shop on the East side of Manhattan. And for some incredibly bizarre reason, it is the only place on the entire East side of Manhattan where you can get quality water bottles. I know, I checked! West side, no issues. East side... It's as though the residents have a hatred of quality water bottles. Oddest thing ever.

Unfortunately the health food shop doesn't sell their stock of bottles online. Also, it's not about Patriotism. You're paying the same amount for a noticeable step down in quality over the older bottles. That's just not right. I have a cheap, thin-walled, generic bottle that cost me a few bucks. Its squeak is absolutely tiny and baby mouse-like in volume compared to the nightmarish sewer rat sound of the monster rising up to devour the city.

Something is very wrong when a cheap, generic, piece of crap water bottle was put together with more attention to detail regarding the threads than one from such a highly respected company such as HydroFlask. I'm sorry, but again.... that's not right.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh that reminds me! I did add a new bottle! For work days I picked up a Yeti 64 oz Rambler. A stainless bohemoth! But it keeps my water super cold in a hot truck all day so I'm happy. :)

This is not all. I already have managed to order 21 oz standard mouth bottle and Coldest Water straw cap for it. Just cannot force myself to drink 2L of water per day. Perhaps, a fancy flask would help :)

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Damn... What for have I entered the thread?! Hydro Flask 64 oz Cobalt has been ordered...

And now I have to pray it is built in US :(

If it's used, you might get lucky. If it's a brand new one, sorry. HydroFlask stopped making their bottles in the U.S. and has switched over completely to China. Maybe you'll get lucky and your example won't have visible seams in the bottle or the cap, and won't squeak horribly. It's going to be hit or miss in that regard. From personal experience, sad to say; it's usually miss.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
I have an 18 oz HF and then also an 18 oz generic "clone" someone bought me as a gift. While they look very similar the quality of the HF is definitely better. The cap on my generic one does squeak while the HF does not. The plastic is higher quality on the HF. And the powder coating on the HF has been very durable while the thin paint on the clone is chipping off whenever it bumps things. It keeps water cold so I use it, but I would certainly say the HF is of better quality. I'm sorry you have not had the same experience. I also have several HF True Pints I use at home for water, beer etc. and I have been completely happy with them.

zorobabel

Newly Enlightened
32oz Vinegar bottles is what I prefer to use for water bottles. They last a long time, you just have to replace the lids with lids from soda bottles. I also use soda bottles, but they don't keep their shape as well as the vinegar bottles.

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
I want to get my wife a nice water bottle, are the HydroFlask's worth the money, at over $35.00 dollars for a bottle not really cheap.

Also, the squeak... that adds up to either mis-fitting parts, materials made wrong, materials not which don't work well together or all of the above. Modern plastic should not behave like that They look nice, however so does a Fiji bottle.

Any one one have any advice. I love the style, and colors, and I want to get some for my team of assistants a few projects a year require me to have 5-7 people and I was thinking of getting them all one as we are in different locations, and thought it would be nice. So before spending around $500.00 on them I want to make sure they are quality as I can't have loud squeaking around some of the people we work with.

Thanks for any help,

RL

nbp

Flashaholic
Personally I do like the Hydroflasks a lot. I also really love my big Yeti Rambler. Have you checked out Yeti?

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have a 32oz vinegar bottle in our kitchen, hoping the threads fit the Sawyer Water Filter. Good Idea. Thanks for sharing.

I tried opening and closing about 6 different Hydroflasks at REI a month or so ago. I did not find the sound of opening and closing the lid at all disconcerting. They sounded like a good quality fit without having too much friction. Now You want to hear some scratching fingernails on chalkboard? Listen to a Titanium on Titanium water bottle opening and, worse, closing.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has been fun to read of the different water bottle solutions here... well maybe not as fun as some of RedLED's stories...

BEHOLD: a 47 second video of the sound of 3 titanium water bottles opening and closing!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BBGgPI2zobdKkoSi1 Be sure to touch the far upper right play symbol and elapsed time indicator to get sound.

We also have the larger Vargo BOT titanium bottle/pot model but I did not record that one. It kind of deserves its own video because of its 'personality'. Incidentally, that video was shot with an iPad Pro 10.5 on full auto with fluorescent kitchen lighting. It is stored on Google's "unlimited high quality" option, so compressed I believe.

Last edited:

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
NPB,

Thanks for the tip on Yeti, it looks as if they they make some very, very nice products. I love the coolers. You see, in the desert when it hits 115-120, food goes bad quick, and as such many of us carry a cooler to the store (Along with our wonderful flashlights), because unless you live a block away your things go bad quick. I have one that plugs in and is powered, however, it is getting on in years and a yeti may be a solid quality replacement, as I just keep it in my company truck I use for errands.

NPB, I trust your advice in quality and well made things, and thanks once again for the tip to Yeti brand. And, it seems the Hydroflasks may turn out to be fine as well.

I love this forum for the knowledge people have on things we may not put a lot of thought into but make a huge difference when you apply the product.

Once again, thanks,

All the best,

RL

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
Yeah the Yeti stuff is not cheap but it seems of very good quality. I have been using a 64 oz stainless Yeti Rambler all summer for water for work days. I put gallon jugs of water in the fridge to get cold and fill the Yeti in the morning. Even sitting in a hot truck the water stays plenty cold as long as it takes me to drink it all, sometimes 10-12 hrs. Have not used the actual coolers so I can't offer first hand experience on those.

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I absolutely love my 30oz rambler. I find I drink much more water having a straw vs a screw on top. When I'm driving I don't have to take both hands off the wheel to drink.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use this one with a Hydro Flask:

6828dc0dd15d754402bd142f6d1b07bb--stainless-steel-water-bottle-water-bottles.jpg

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's something different. A 16 oz. vacuum sealed water bottle that has some kind of thermostat for heating water up to boiling point, brewing, extra hot or hot. It is the Cauldryn Fyre and Cauldryn Fyre Mobile. I spoke via email with Jason. He said the mobile uses a 75.5 watt hour lithium ion battery to heat the water.

Looks like the individual batteries are not user replaceable. It is made in China. I expect to purchase the AC model and buy the DC module as well but will wait on the mobile module.
the battery unit, by the way, has USB output of 1A and 2Amps.

There are a few reviews on optics planet and amazon. Anyone here tried it yet?

Latest posts