Waterproof single AA or AAA container.

M

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
For some time now I have been looking for a waterproof container to hold a single AA or AAA battery.

I have now found my perfect container.

On ?-bay , I noticed some "BAR Honda Ear Plug Containers" ... They are made of aluminium and have a screw top fitted with an O-ring.

Inside the cap is a small "pip" that I removed with my Dremel and I put some insulating material inside the cap and in the bottom of the body ... The insulating material was cut from bicycle inner tube repair patches and was glued in place to avoid any possibility of a short circuit on the AA cells ... The AAs are a perfect fit ... I cut some short lengths of plastic tubes to fit into the body and the holder will then carry AAAs perfectly ... Being shorter than the AAs , the AAAs will move up and down but I will put a piece of cork or eraser in the tube to give a better fit.

These containers are exactly what I wanted and they could even be added to a keyring as they have a short length of chain fitted to the lid ... This could be unclipped and a split-ring put in its place if preferred.

I bought one just to try and have now sent for another four.

M

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
For some time now I have been looking for a waterproof container to hold a single AA or AAA battery.

I have now found my perfect container.

On ?-bay , I noticed some "BAR Honda Ear Plug Containers" ... They are made of aluminium and have a screw top fitted with an O-ring.

Inside the cap is a small "pip" that I removed with my Dremel and I put some insulating material inside the cap and in the bottom of the body ... The insulating material was cut from bicycle inner tube repair patches and was glued in place to avoid any possibility of a short circuit on the AA cells ... The AAs are a perfect fit ... I cut some short lengths of plastic tubes to fit into the body and the holder will then carry AAAs perfectly ... Being shorter than the AAs , the AAAs will move up and down but I will put a piece of cork or eraser in the tube to give a better fit.

These containers are exactly what I wanted and they could even be added to a keyring as they have a short length of chain fitted to the lid ... This could be unclipped and a split-ring put in its place if preferred.

I bought one just to try and have now sent for another four.
I should have mentioned that I had four for £5-05 including postage ... The 123 size batteries won't fit , they are too wide at 0.65" ... Inside diameter of the cap is 0.575"... Inside diameter of the body is 0.625" ... The cap screws into the body hence the inside diameter of the cap is less than that of the body ... Inside body length will take an AA OK with insulating patches in place ... I haven't tried for water resistance , but a bit of lube on the O-ring should make it pretty good.

RedForest UK

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
These loom quite nice for a handy waterproof AA container, nice find :thumbsup:

Could you give measurements for the outside diameter and height please, just to see how pocketable they would be before I buy any.. Also, if possible I would really prefer measurements in mm, I just cant seem to get my head around precise measurements in inches ;)

Light Sabre

Light Sabre

Enlightened
A metal (with insulating material in the cap) or plastic pill fob can hold one CR123 battery and are water tight and already have a key ring on them.

Walmart has a bright orange plastic wood match stick holder (in the sporting goods section) that would definately hold a AAA or possibly a AA. I have 2 and can't find either one of them.

A 35mm film container will hold 5 AAA's. Dang it, couldn't get a 6th one in there.

Small ziplock bags that you can find at Hobby Lobby or Michaels would work too. Wouldn't work on a keychain, but would work in a jacket or suitcase, etc. I use them to keep partially used matched pairs together. Like when I switch a flashlight from alkalines to Duraloops. Good for your vampire lights.

M

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
These look quite nice for a handy waterproof AA container, nice find :thumbsup:

Could you give measurements for the outside diameter and height please, just to see how pocketable they would be before I buy any.. Also, if possible I would really prefer measurements in mm, I just can't seem to get my head around precise measurements in inches ;)
The external length of the case is 54.75mm and diameter is 17.79mm ... fixed to the top is a piece of solid rod 6.30mm long and 7.15mm diameter with a hole of 2.75mm diameter for a split ring if required ... It comes with a length of ball-chain 110mm long ... This is in the form of a loop to fit on a key-ring ... Empty , but with the insulating rubber in the ends , it weighs 10.3 grams without the chain.

It obviously doesn't seem to suit everyone , but as I said earlier it is exactly what I was looking for.

P

paulr

Flashaholic
I think film cans aren't so good for this application because the caps pop off of them rather easily if they get banged around. I guess you could tape them shut but that makes them less convenient. Keep2go containers may be too large for the original request.

M

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think film cans aren't so good for this application because the caps pop off of them rather easily if they get banged around. I guess you could tape them shut but that makes them less convenient. Keep2go containers may be too large for the original request.
The BAR Honda case has the screw cap with O-ring fitted to make it more water resistant ... The cap needs to be rotated two and a half turns to remove it from the 4mm of thread ... Obviously it can be put on as tightly as you want , to compress the O-ring ... I think that it is pretty good value for money plus you get a free pair of ear-plugs as well ... I will use two of the cases for AAs and two for AAAs plus I'm also going to use one to keep doggy-treats in , as it will stop them from hardening into little pieces of flavoured concrete.

C

Chauncey Gardner

Enlightened
I just picked up several from goinggear.com. Look under containers & capsules.

They have them for CR123 & AA in aluminum canister style, screw tops & orings. 1.99 on sale.

Ordered one to try for AAA, I'll report back when they get here.

They are the best choice out there & designed just for single waterproof battery storage. Choice of colors.

RedForest UK

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The external length of the case is 54.75mm and diameter is 17.79mm ... fixed to the top is a piece of solid rod 6.30mm long and 7.15mm diameter with a hole of 2.75mm diameter for a split ring if required ... It comes with a length of ball-chain 110mm long ... This is in the form of a loop to fit on a key-ring ... Empty , but with the insulating rubber in the ends , it weighs 10.3 grams without the chain.

It obviously doesn't seem to suit everyone , but as I said earlier it is exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks for the measurements, they do seem pretty good little battery carriers. I saw some metal 18650 ones up on CPFMP for about $100 each a while back. Granted, they were titanium and hand finished, but for AA cells these seem like a steal! ;)

P

paulr

Flashaholic
Their description says "one AA battery will fit perfectly inside this capsule" when they're a few mm too short? Oops.

C

Chauncey Gardner

Enlightened
Yeah, that's about what I thought too:confused:, they work pretty well for the AAA's though & I have gotten hooked on the little lights lately so no biggie. At a buck .99 very pleased, just need to see what's up with the proper AA size (if they have it).

P

paulr

Flashaholic
I guess I see more utility in using a small flashlight (Arc AAA in my case, but something cheaper like a Fenix E01 would be fine) as an AAA holder, rather than an empty tube. The weight difference would be just a few grams at most, and it means you've got an extra light in case you need one.

C

Chauncey Gardner

Enlightened
I use a spare Fenix L1D body with a cap, not the cheapest way to go, but very size efficient for the AA size.

Like to see a more exact fitting AAA capsule.