• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Wave of Haiku High CRI

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a rule of thumb, snowy arears fare better with warmer leds. Tropical climate fare better with cool or neutral whites.
I can't comment on the snowy area since I reside in a tropical climate, but from what I gathered here many in CPF sort of prefer cool white for snow because it doesn't make the snow look like pee. Maybe they are the cool white fans I don't know for sure. Personally, I prefer anything neutral, high CRI, or warm for tropical jungles.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don, haven't you tried an XP-G high CRI yet? I wonder how it performs in tint and power against the Nichia?

I'd be interested in a high CRI light engine for my beloved Haiku, would that be possible?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Don, haven't you tried an XP-G high CRI yet? I wonder how it performs in tint and power against the Nichia?

I haven't experimented with any of the Cree High CRI LED's. To my knowledge they typically are pretty low in CCT (warm)? The other consideration I have in collimating a High CRI emitter is that of tint variation between spot and spill. If you are going for quality of light then it's nice to have an even tint throughout and the Nichia 119 seems to be well ahead of any other LED I have sampled in this regard.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't experimented with any of the Cree High CRI LED's. To my knowledge they typically are pretty low in CCT (warm)? The other consideration I have in collimating a High CRI emitter is that of tint variation between spot and spill. If you are going for quality of light then it's nice to have an even tint throughout and the Nichia 119 seems to be well ahead of any other LED I have sampled in this regard.

+1

Mr_Zombie

Newly Enlightened
E-mail sent for one Haiku Hi Cri. Thank you to all the forum members for the rave reviews. The choice to pull the trigger was made that much easier.

Calku

Newly Enlightened
Sent email yesterday for Haiku High CRI. Sent another email today to add Mule High CRI to order.

Thanks. First post btw.

nbp

Flashaholic
:welcome:

You have made an excellent choice for your entry lights! There isn't much room to improve after McGizmos though, and everything else will seem kinda crappy in comparison. You've been warned! ;)

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Indeed! The High CRI Haiku is my current EDC and my favorite light, beating out the Ti-PD, the LunaSol 20, and many others. It is . . . AWESOME! The quality of light from this thing is second only to the SunDrop with 083! I love this light!

nbp

Flashaholic
js said:
Indeed! The High CRI Haiku is my current EDC and my favorite light, beating out the Ti-PD, the LunaSol 20...

Wha wha?!?!? :faint: When did you get on the Haiku train js?! I though ya were still rocking the LS20?

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wha wha?!?!? :faint: When did you get on the Haiku train js?! I though ya were still rocking the LS20?

Just in the past week or so, actually! LOL! I should add a post to my LS20 thread, I guess. I changed my signature already, though, FWIW. And, I should mention, that it was YOUR thread on the Haiku that started my interest in that light. So . . . you're to blame, damn it! I was all set! Now I just ended up buying both a SunDrop AND a Haiku. Geesh!

nbp

Flashaholic
You are too kind, js! Funny how we become somewhat interconnected with people, even those we may never have personally met. I am happy to have helped you buy more McGizmos, as you helped me by means of your LS20 review to go for my first McGizmo nearly a year ago. You helped to explain what a great tool can and should do, and how Don builds just such tools. Four McGizmos later, I am convinced they are among the best flashlights made, and I have carried at least one virtually every day since getting my Haiku. So thank you too js, and of course thank you Don.

nbp

Flashaholic
Why aren't these posts showing up properly? This forum makes me batty sometimes when it doesn't work right. :sick2: Is the other one there? I think so. Grrr.

51mY

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Don!
Email sent on Sunday, 6 days later I have my torch all the way in Australia!

arcane

Newly Enlightened
Hi Don,

Have you thought about using the Nichia 219 emitter in the Haiku High CRI (v2.0)? Supposed to be a direct replacement for Cree XP-G.
I can see that being my first Haiku..

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi Don,

Have you thought about using the Nichia 219 emitter in the Haiku High CRI (v2.0)? Supposed to be a direct replacement for Cree XP-G.
I can see that being my first Haiku..

I got some sample 219's some time ago and can't recall what aspects turned me off on them but if I recall correctly, aside from the preferred foot print of the 119, I believe the 219 had a couple dice and was less conducive to collimation than the 119? Nichia is moving forward and I am attempting to keep up with what they are offering. It appears they are focused on the high CRI niche and their new binning structure is quite promising provided they offer product that qualifies in some of those bins!

hron61

Flashlight Enthusiast
how i wish i could afford one of these.. no shelf queen for her... i would wear it daily... show it off to my uninterested in flashlights friend... ahh, who am i kidding? i can wish cant i? ha