• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Wave of Makai 6V (2x123)

DTF

Enlightened
Wow, you put way more thought into handling techniques than I ever have. I just use my Kung Fu Grip. :crackup:

Running Jaqi at night often means having both hands busy and having to use a flashlight at the same time. Since I don't have three hands, the only good answer was better technique with the flashlight. I also try to take pictures at the same time.

Today, I had two flashlights on the left arm, Makai and Sundrop, and a Cannon S100 on the right: all held tight with McGizmo coiled tethers. With a Nikon D4 strapped over the shoulder, still had hands available for a cup of joe and an occasional cigarette.

The two up flashlights on one arm works really well. It's easy to grab the Sundrop forward when needed for a picture and it's easy to move the Makai out of the way if needed. haven't gone three up on the flashlights but it's not far away.

IMG_0452.jpg by Dean Fletcher - Photographer - Portland, on Flickr

fyrstormer

Banned
Maybe you'd be better served by a headlamp, and a jig that mounts one of your Gizmos to the tripod-mount on the underside of your camera. That way you wouldn't have to manually coordinate the aim of your flashlight with your field of vision.

Is Jaqi the name of your dog, or is it the name of some outdoor activity?

Last edited:

DTF

Enlightened
Maybe you'd be better served by a headlamp, and a jig that mounts one of your Gizmos to the tripod-mount on the underside of your camera. That way you wouldn't have to manually coordinate the aim of your flashlight with your field of vision.

Is Jaqi the name of your dog, or is it the name of some outdoor activity?

No headlamps for me. Hate them. In any case, the flashlight needs to be properly positioned to work right. Mounting on head or camera just wouldn't work.

Here's Jaqi, my Gordon Setter, doing her Jedi Mind Control trick on a fox squirrel the other day. Note: squirrel is being highlighted by my Makai 6V XML. Without it, the squirrel would have been just a silhouette.

D4A_0152-Edit.jpg by Dean Fletcher - Photographer - Portland, on Flickr

archimedes

Flashaholic
I have a question if I may ...........
Will the Makai 2x123 hold a 18650 ..........meaning will it fit ??

Nope ... even (most protected) 17670 cells are +/- as to fitment.

There are, of course, other E-compatible tubes that can however....

Last edited:

djdawg

Enlightened
I dont wanna change a bunch of stuff .......... looks like I,ll just run two RCR,s
I thought it better with one 18650
Thanks for helpin me.

bright light

Newly Enlightened
Hi, Ordered a Makai and it arrived yesterday (UK) and WOW what a light. A real gem, works flawlessly. The throw is quite incredible for a light of this power. I have a Haiku which is a little stiffer to operate and which I use for my every day light, but this Makai is going to be great for those long dog walks.

Although expensive, I feel the quality is of the highest standard. I only own four torches (British, thus not a flashlight!) this, the Haiku, Dark Sucks custom, and an oveready slim and they are all 'work' lights and used all the time. The Makai will be used a lot as the throw is amazing and just what I needed.

Well done Don. I only wish you could get this kind of quality product produced in the UK. But all we seem to be able to manage is Banks and we don't do that very well.

bright light

Newly Enlightened
Hi Can I ask a simple question. Will the makai be brighter with two AW 123's at 4.2v each fully charged or by using two primaries at 3v. I know the run time is longer with primaries, but I'm having a discussion on another thread.:shrug:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
The 6V converter regulates the current to the LED at set levels. It can do so under a range of input voltage from roughly 4V to 9V. Two primaries in series giving you say 5.8V will have the same light output as 2 RCR123's giving you say 7.2V.

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the 6v LE, Don mentions regulation roughly from 4-9volts. Even if you can get a 17670 into your 2xCR123 pak, you will quickly loose regulation as the 17670 will start at just under 4.2v fully charged. The moment it drops below 4 volts, there goes your regulations.

djdawg

Enlightened
I gave up on trying to do a single batt.
I have plenty of RCR,s I can use .......I was just trying to be simple I suppose.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Over in the Haiku High CRI thread, there is an interesting discussion of the 119 vs. 119V emitters. Is the 119V available on the 6V Makai?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Over in the Haiku High CRI thread, there is an interesting discussion of the 119 vs. 119V emitters. Is the 119V available on the 6V Makai?

The Makai head serves as a good host to both the 119 and 119V on any of the battery paks including the single AA for that matter. The reflector yields a very tight spot beam with the 119's. On a 2x123 I would be inclined to keep the max current below 1 amp due to the heat generated and especially if one was planning on running it at high for extended periods.

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
this may be an obvious answer, but is the XP-G2 what goes in these now?

I ask because I adore my XP-G2 Haiku, and the Makai looks like it might be a great "next McGizmo" before an 6V XM-L Haiku or HCRI Haiku

eala

Flashlight Enthusiast
this may be an obvious answer, but is the XP-G2 what goes in these now?

I ask because I adore my XP-G2 Haiku, and the Makai looks like it might be a great "next McGizmo" before an 6V XM-L Haiku or HCRI Haiku

The Makai with the small die of the XP-G2 combined with the new Rush light engine (when they become available again) would be great. Drive current is 1.2Amp on max which would have a nice long reach with this head.

eala