• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Wave of Ti Haiku XP-G flashlights-ended

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Re: Wave of Ti Haiku XP-G flashlights(on hold)

Since there is a small O-ring seated in the bottom of the reflector and against the MCPCB, I would suggest not unscrewing the LE when your interest is in the window. What mikes1 has suggested is the approach I too would take. I would also suggest you put a piece of tape on the outside of the window so that you know which side is the outside. The inside surface has a delicate AR coating which you don't want to mistakenly put on the outside. A soft microfiber cloth is reasonably safe on this coating but I have gotten in the habit of not contacting this surface with anything other than a stream of air. :shrug:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for these instructions, Don! Unfortunately, they come a litle bit too late... :ohgeez:

No, nothing's broken yet, the only problem is that I'm not sure if the lens has been replaced in the right way. Can I tell from the outside? I had a closer look at it now, the only thing I noticed is, that I see a violet hue inside the reflector when the light is on.

I took a special microfiber cloth for optics to clean it, it's much better now!

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Hi guys,

I am now back to building up some inventory and think I can re open this wave without too much trouble or getting caught behind.

I also feel I should place an advisory or comment as it were. It was brought to my attention that some of these Haiku XP-G's would exhibit an occasional candle like flicker on low. To confirm this for myself, I found I needed to set the light down so it was not moving at all as it does when hand held. I found that with a number of the lights I could on occasion see some flicker but nothing consistent and no identifiable frequency or pattern. I sent some of the light engines to Japan for review and evaluation by the converter designer. He found that the converters were performing as designed and there were no problems with them. If he paired them up with a Cree XE-E or Osram LED, he could not get them to exhibit this occasional flicker. His impression is that there must be something about the larger size of the XP-G die or its nature that brings out this flicker on the PWM cycle and low output level generated by the driver. He suggested that one likely means of improving the stability in performance would be to increase the output level on low. He also felt he could add some additional components to the design to improve the stability but these would be at some expense in efficiency as well as non trivial and requiring a new board layout and converter run.

I am not interested in increasing the output on low because I think that would reduce the utility and advantage of the spread in the dynamic range of the light as it now stands. The flicker is just an anomaly with no indication of fault or problem either in the LED or the converter.

The bottom line here (please excuse the over used phrase) is that I don't plan to change anything because of this discovered quirk but I do want to alert you to the fact that you may witness the occasional flicker in output on low with one of these Haiku XP-G lights. :shrug:

I have also decided to offer the option of a BB Haiku XP-G and for this option, please indicate that you want a BB Haiku XP-G in the subject line of your order request e-mail. The price on the BB Haiku XP-G is $475 + shipping.

mglamb

Newly Enlightened
Re: Wave of Ti Haiku XP-G flashlights

E-mail sent for one standard XP-G! :twothumbs

EEG

Newly Enlightened

E-mail for Std. Finish XP-G sent.

Almost didn't wait for these to become available again.

Drywolf

Flashlight Enthusiast

I also feel I should place an advisory or comment as it were. It was brought to my attention that some of these Haiku XP-G's would exhibit an occasional candle like flicker on low.

My Haihu XP-G is running on a 17670 (4.06v), I cannot detect any flicker. Does the flicker occur when using primaries only?
Thanks,
Frank

scout24

Flashaholic

+1, haven't noticed this on RCR123's... Thank you for the heads up, though!

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've only used primaries until now in the Haiku XP-G and noticed the flickering on low shining on a wall. It doesn't occur all the time, only ocasionnally on low and you only see it on a wall and you must lay the light down to be sure it isn't you trembling.

This means : Not a big deal, nothing in fact, as the Haiku isn't there to lay down and shine on walls... :nana:

mikeymoto

Newly Enlightened

What is the max input voltage for the Haiku light engine? I checked the product list thread, and the Haiku intro thread and did not see it. Thank you.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

What is the max input voltage for the Haiku light engine? I checked the product list thread, and the Haiku intro thread and did not see it. Thank you.

It is my understanding that the max Vin is 5V.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast

The grin is from ear to ear Dan! :D

...I should be asleep though... that wouldn't stop the grin though! :D :D :grin2: