Weapon light discussion, (loosely) related topics welcome

No argument springs fatigue from usage.
My experience with mechanical springs, they 'set' from non usage. You'd know what I mean if you've ever torn down an old overhead valve motor. One that's been sitting dormant for years?

Weapon magazines are expendable.. If you're preparing for a government coup, then leave them fully stacked👍
Fully stacked, but just because I'm not that good of a shot. 😁 A government coup is the least of my worries. Figure I'll just be sprayin and a prayen.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

If magazines were cheaper and easier to come by, wouldn't give it a thought
Even today, some places are still gauging on magazines or you can't get them at all,
you'd think it was early 2021

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Uh, from all that I have read it's quite the opposite. Spring steel degrades from constant flexing. It has no "memory," so leaving mags loaded for a long period of time should have no negative effect on the operation of the magazine.
No clue where you heard that from, but unfortunately that's not true. Fully-loaded magazines left that way for several years, yeah; you're going to have to replace either the springs or the magazines (depending on which are going to be cheaper to source for a particular model).

Anyone wishing to avoid that issue but have loaded magazines, you need to only partially load those magazines. 30-round rifle mag., load only 27 rounds. You don't want those magazines fully compressed.

bubbatime

Newly Enlightened
Untouched for 20 years??
You're definitely going to want a proper gunsmith to tear her down, look her over, and tune her up. You can leave ammo untouched for 20 years (depending on where and how it was stored). But not a pistol. Especially not an automatic.
As a multi platform armorer , I can't say I agree. That gun is just as good today as it was 20 years ago. Putting a gun in a drawer for 20 years does nothing. Only thing I'll mention is that it's possible if the magazine was loaded for 20 years, the magazine spring could be a little weaker than a new spring but it's likely to still work fine.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
As a multi platform armorer , I can't say I agree. That gun is just as good today as it was 20 years ago. Putting a gun in a drawer for 20 years does nothing. Only thing I'll mention is that it's possible if the magazine was loaded for 20 years, the magazine spring could be a little weaker than a new spring but it's likely to still work fine.
I've had students come up to me on the range, asking if this gun or that gun was a viable option. Then showing me dad's or grand-pa's old pistol. Been in the family for more years than they can remember. "Doesn't quite work right." Usually what they say. We're talking pistols that were put away from anywhere from 10 to 40 years. Not rusted out. I direct them to our on-site gunsmith. Free examinations before any work done, for paying students.

I can only go by what I was told when I followed up with the gunsmith. In some cases, serious issues in which the student was told they'd be wasting money if they wanted the pistol restored to good working order. In some cases, it was minor. Good cleaning, good lube, little bit of adjustment and fitting needed. Point is, it varied.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Everyone who turned in their bump-stocks or made videos of themselves destroying them with certain power-tools and posting the vids. online.... Likely are confused what they should feel at this news.

fuyume

Enlightened
I was just reading a thread on The High Road about someone who bought a sealed box of loaded M1911 magazines with ammunition dated to 1917, and every single round functioned properly, over a century after they were loaded.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Much of US Military surplus was coated with cosmoline. It's a thick dark brown smelly wax like grease. It really preserves metals well. I have opened up motor parts that were not only coated with the stuff but then wrapped, encased, with cheese cloth and wax. Packaged to withstand any adverse conditions, like sitting on the ocean floor.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Much of US Military surplus was coated with cosmoline. It's a thick dark brown smelly wax like grease. It really preserves metals well. I have opened up motor parts that were not only coated with the stuff but then wrapped, encased, with cheese cloth and wax. Packaged to withstand any adverse conditions, like sitting on the ocean floor.
You forgot to mention that it's also a GIANT pain in the backside to clean off of anything!

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast

Monocrom

Flashaholic
+

Just read this and my initial reaction was
__ good!

really not sorry if that offends anyone.
I guess career-criminals would be offended.
Screw them!

Apologies if I've already posted this picture -

IMG_3726.JPG

I became aware of this offering from Colt as a young man, not yet 21. My dad, AKA Straw-Man, purchased it for me. Well, I paid. He signed the paperwork. That was almost five decades ago. I still own it. 😁

So, are your outlaw days over? 😉
Trouble? I run in the opposite direction. Feets, don't fail me now!

Having recently reacquired a concealed pistol license and started carrying again after a 20-year lapse, I find myself driving even more relaxed than before. Trust me when I state, "I'm a very safe driver." However, aggressive drivers did tend to irritate me. Not to the point of returning aggression, but perhaps giving them a look. But now, being armed, I remind myself it's not wise to react even in the slightest. They're now on my ignore list. 😁

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Trouble? I run in the opposite direction. Feets, don't fail me now!

Having recently reacquired a concealed pistol license and started carrying again after a 20-year lapse, I find myself driving even more relaxed than before. Trust me when I state, "I'm a very safe driver." However, aggressive drivers did tend to irritate me. Not to the point of returning aggression, but perhaps giving them a look. But now, being armed, I remind myself it's not wise to react even in the slightest. They're now on my ignore list. 😁
Always a good policy to put them on that list. 😉