Weapon light discussion, (loosely) related topics welcome

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Since I'm logged in,,
on my post asking if a new 'very different' grip could change how sights line up.

=What I meant to say was, could the new grip change how the sights are seen

Knowing its apples to oranges , I kept thinking of how you wind down elevation on a scope for a 20moa rail.
That just kept clouding my thought process

iacchus

Enlightened
+

Since I'm logged in,,
on my post asking if a new 'very different' grip could change how sights line up.

=What I meant to say was, could the new grip change how the sights are seen

Knowing its apples to oranges , I kept thinking of winding down elevation on a scope for a 20moa rail.
That just kept clouding my thought process
if the new grip changes hand placement, the sight plane that goes from your eye, across the rear sight, to the front sight could change, sure. There is more than just the length of the bbl to take into account here.

It isn't anything that one couldn't adjust to and compensate for, though. Would just take some time.

I shoot terrible w/ Glocks until I readjust myself, since I am used to the grip angle of a SIG. Grip angle is one of the reasons I advise folks to rent or borrow any gun they are tempted to buy.

If you find yourself readjusting your grip every time you bring your gun up, you might want to look into something that more naturally fits (assuming proper grip and stance to begin with).

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grip Angle; can't stand shooting a hand gun that is different than a 1911 if it is for serious business. Plinking with a .22 Ruger not a big deal…

Saw a demonstration by shootist Jerry Miculek from years ago; dude has serious muscle memory, even blindfolded.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
The way you grip, and how it feels is probably the biggest reason to get or not get a certain gun, When I was looking at glocks, I took almost every model in my hand to see how it feels, most of them do not feel any different, but when I grabbed g36, it felt different from the rest of glocks, handle thickness, and a bit extended magazine bottom plate, make it fit in my hand very comfortably. I'm not a huge fan of .45, but i'd rather get used to caliber, than have a gun in a caliber I like, but with a grip shape that is uncomfortable, nor does it feel natural in my hand. Actually .45 is not nearly as bad in a sub compact as it thought it would be, defence loads, otoh kick harder, but not unmanageable either.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grip Angle; can't stand shooting a hand gun that is different than a 1911 if it is for serious business. Plinking with a .22 Ruger not a big deal…

Saw a demonstration by shootist Jerry Miculek from years ago; dude has serious muscle memory, even blindfolded.
Growing up with 1911s (1st was a Colt LWT Commander in '75) I'm only comfortable with the 18° grip angle for serious use. All my defensive auto pistols mirror the 1911 grip and have thumb safeties for the same reason. Same goes for sights - all the same configuration.

KISS principle works for me...

Edit: Since this took off, I changed the title. It used to say I'm back after a while, and wondered where our weapon light forum went. So, on to my specific question (I ended up ordering a Streamlight TL-7A Flex) and a lot of other good discussion:

Well, the thread title says it all. Glad to see some familiar names around still. Buying my first weapon light (Glock 19) and pretty sure I want a Streamlight TL-7A Flex, but thought hey, let's see what the CPF folks are exited about. I tried a search, and looking in the LED forum, but it seems perhaps the topic has fallen prey to political correctness. Let me know if I missed something.
Thanks for a great thread, Hondo. 👍 👍

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
My reworked 1911A1 Gov't...
20171213_104639.jpg
Elliason sight came flying off once during competition.. Changed hollow roll-pin to solid never happened again
20171213_104312.jpg

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
When i did the mods mid 70's, purchased the Elliason ($45) before I knew better. Bomar will fit the dove tail. Today I believe they cost about 3x that price.
Barrel bushing is from Earl Stroup

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
if the new grip changes hand placement, the sight plane that goes from your eye, across the rear sight, to the front sight could change, sure. There is more than just the length of the bbl to take into account here.

It isn't anything that one couldn't adjust to and compensate for, though. Would just take some time.

I shoot terrible w/ Glocks until I readjust myself, since I am used to the grip angle of a SIG. Grip angle is one of the reasons I advise folks to rent or borrow any gun they are tempted to buy.

If you find yourself readjusting your grip every time you bring your gun up, you might want to look into something that more naturally fits (assuming proper grip and stance to begin with).

The way you grip, and how it feels is probably the biggest reason to get or not get a certain gun, When I was looking at glocks, I took almost every model in my hand to see how it feels, most of them do not feel any different, but when I grabbed g36, it felt different from the rest of glocks, handle thickness, and a bit extended magazine bottom plate, make it fit in my hand very comfortably. I'm not a huge fan of .45, but i'd rather get used to caliber, than have a gun in a caliber I like, but with a grip shape that is uncomfortable, nor does it feel natural in my hand. Actually .45 is not nearly as bad in a sub compact as it thought it would be, defence loads, otoh kick harder, but not unmanageable either.
+

good posts ^^

The pistol I'm talking about is my Zastava M57, it's a modern Tokarev pistol exactly as the original except it has 1 more round mag. & a Beretta style safety.
the original grips were very minimalist.

Bought that pistol 100% specifically for its 7.62 x 25 ammo (full 25mm lenght 9mm brass necked down to 7.62)
Except for maybe a 10mm with a longer barrel, nothing compares in energy at 40 yards.
You might say, who wants a semi auto pistol that has nearly 700ft/lb energy at 40 yards. Well I do.

The overpenetration talk gets diffused quick with hollowpoints.

1719407976669.jpeg

that's a stock pic, but I have that grip

Last edited:

iacchus

Enlightened
+

good posts ^^

The pistol I'm talking about is my Zastava M57, it's a modern Tokarev pistol exactly as the original except it has 1 more round mag. & a Beretta style safety.
the original grips were very minimalist.

Bought that pistol 100% specifically for its 7.62 x 25 ammo (full 25mm lenght 9mm brass necked down to 7.62)
Except for maybe a 10mm with a longer barrel, nothing compares in energy at 40 yards.
You might say, who wants a semi auto pistol that has nearly 700ft/lb energy at 40 yards. Well I do.

The overpenetration talk gets diffused quick with hollowpoints.

View attachment 64031

that's a stock pic, but I have that grip
I carried 357SIG, so I completely understand where you are coming from. Depending on how they are loaded, little more mass, but a touch slower.
I do know that the loads I used were absolute laser beams as far as shooting straight, and had no problem punching through light obstructions. 125gr, 1450fps / 584 ft. lbs. 4"bbl. Just dandy ballistics in a small package.

That's a good looking gun, very Browning-esqe. I can see why you would want a bit more palm filling grips, though. The stock ones leave a bit to be desired.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Most comfortable handgun for me in terms of grip is the classic 9mm German Luger. Yeah, not exactly a massive amount of guns out there with that grip profile.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most comfortable handgun for me in terms of grip is the classic 9mm German Luger. Yeah, not exactly a massive amount of guns out there with that grip profile.
Ruger Standard Auto has the Luger's 55° grip angle.
I've had several from the Mk1 on over the years.
This Mk2 is my favorite:

1719418305608.jpeg

Last edited:

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

What does it take to get Full Auto in Idaho?
An NRA Membership.

No seriously, in Idaho you have to abide by the federal restrictions like everywhere else.
The full auto guns in my photo are available to rent. In fact a "wedding party" was blasting away with one while I was there!