Weather/AM/FM radio

3_gun

Enlightened
Looking for a radio powered by either a 18650 or 21700 battery, like my lights. Would like to keep it under $30. Such a thing made?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ive posted one in my stuff hit the fan thread its solar 18650 and crank seems to be great for the price but i got it cheaper then they are now

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
An easy solution is to carry aa light back up and aa radio. Even c or d radios can run on aa's with spacers.But if they made a cheap 18650 powered radio I'd probably buy one.
Many radios powered by 18650 battery are for sale on Italian amazon. Have you tried to write in your amazon "18650 radio"?

Gemster

Newly Enlightened
I have a hand crank radio and it leaves much to be desired, so much so that it is never used.
If I were looking I'd go for a battery priority model.

JLFORBES

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a radio powered by either a 18650 or 21700 battery, like my lights. Would like to keep it under $30. Such a thing made?
This one shows replaceable 18650 batteries. It is just over at $35.

NOAA/AM/FM/ Solar/Hand crank

1632665984984.png

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have a hand crank radio and it leaves much to be desired, so much so that it is never used.
If I were looking I'd go for a battery priority model.
Long ago people were enamored about shake lights and crank radios etc but since LEDs have got way more efficient along with circuitry for them also more efficient and lower dimmer modes showing up they run a long long time off batteries such that shaking and cranking for a half hour of runtime that declines and leaves you yet in the dark again over and over just isn't worth it in an emergency. Radios are the same way they can run a long long time off batteries and cranking gives you short runtimes and if the crank generating mechanism breaks then you still have to depend on batteries. It is best to get a radio that has decent runtime and focus on batteries that work for it and other devices so you can share them among everything. I've also found weather radios useful but with decent talk radio stations on AM and some even on FM now when there is bad weather ahead you can listen to their broadcasts instead of having to pay a lot more for one with weather bands. With cell phones and streaming radio it reduces the need for an occasional check on a radio so unless you desire to listen to the radio for entertainment something like IHeart radio may suffice.
It would have to be a huge power outage or you are in a bad area for cell reception etc.

3_gun

Enlightened
This one shows replaceable 18650 batteries. It is just over at $35.

NOAA/AM/FM/ Solar/Hand crank

View attachment 17448
Thanks for the link but sadly this screams scam or just a bad idea to me for a number of reasons. 1) No one makes a honest 4000mah 18650 2) A solar panel that size would need a couple of days [or more] to charge said battery 3) a crank; see #2 4) a lack of actual specs on anything meaningful [pdf does a bit better] 130rpm for crank speed? 2 18650 batteries gives 10hrs of 135L light. 6hrs to recharge by usb. 30hrs of radio from 2 18650 batteries. None of these things inspires confidence. It might work but I'll keep looking.

At least you did find a listing. My attempt got a long list of AA/AAA radios. Hard to understand that from a search term of "18650 powered radio"

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
The Midland ER210, just make sure you get the NEW stock, the older model has an 18650 with a plug soldered onto the battery.
New stock is powered by 18650 - 2200mAh button top, hand crank, flashlight, AM, FM, Weather, solar charger, clock
It has a small speaker, but works well if you don't blast it.
Picked it up at Wal Mart $39.00. Amazon is a little more. Nice enough for me to buy a second one to keep the car.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Long ago people were enamored about shake lights and crank radios etc but since LEDs have got way more efficient along with circuitry for them also more efficient and lower dimmer modes showing up they run a long long time off batteries such that shaking and cranking for a half hour of runtime that declines and leaves you yet in the dark again over and over just isn't worth it in an emergency. Radios are the same way they can run a long long time off batteries and cranking gives you short runtimes and if the crank generating mechanism breaks then you still have to depend on batteries.
Not to got too far OT but I too had a few shake lights around a found them to work marginally at best, mostly useless. I kept one around somewhere just to look at and fool with once in a while. One light hand-crank light which worked not too badly and at low cost came from Dollar Tree ($1.25 here).

Dave

Gemster

Newly Enlightened
With cell phones and streaming radio it reduces the need for an occasional check on a radio so unless you desire to listen to the radio for entertainment something like IHeart radio may suffice.
It would have to be a huge power outage or you are in a bad area for cell reception etc.

When we get a tropical storm or severe thunderstorms cell service goes out with the power. It's happening more and more in the Northeast.

3_gun

Enlightened
Why doesn't anyone just make a radio any more????
God knows I don't need a flashlight, or solar panels, a charging bank. hand crank, bottle opener, mp3 player or siren.

I just want a radio

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
They do make just radios if you search for them you can buy a cheapo 2AA at Walmart for about $10 or so I think and
there are many on Amazon of various types/batteries/analog/digital/rechargeable...... etc.

UFO

Newly Enlightened
C.Crane Pocket is my favorite
I wholeheartedly agree. C Crane makes excellent radios. I have three of them. I don't think they make the kind that 3-Gun is looking for, but for anyone else looking for excellent radios, this is a very good choice.

timbo114

Enlightened
Why doesn't anyone just make a radio any more????
God knows I don't need a flashlight, or solar panels, a charging bank. hand crank, bottle opener, mp3 player or siren.

I just want a radio
Tecsun
No weather .. no crank ..no solar ..no light
Just super quality reception and sound.
18650 power source.
I own 3 of these. It will not disappoint.

timbo114

Enlightened
Nope.
I run the Sanyo NCR18650GA 3500mAh flat top for loooong runtimes.
There's a protruding nipple on the POS battery connector that works well with flat tops.
I own several various Tecsun radios.
Their tuners are phenomenally sensitive.

Last edited: