Weird battery issue. Any ideas?

eamonn

Newly Enlightened
Last night before bed I dropped my SC62 onto the carpet from about 2 feet. When I woke up, I grabbed the light to navigate the room. Nothing! My first thought was obviously "I can't believe this light broke from that minor drop". It wasn't the light. I popped in another 18650, and the light came on. The battery I removed from the SC62 is a brand new, charged once, Olight 3400 mAh 18650. I thought maybe I left it on all night somehow, and put it on the charger. Showing a full capacity. It worked fine before a short drop onto carpet, now it doesn't. Not working in my Klarus XT-11 either. There aren't any outward signs of damage to note. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whats' the voltage of the battery as measured by a multimeter? If yo don't see any voltage, you can try a reset of the PCB protection circuit. Check the voltage first though.

eamonn

Newly Enlightened
I don't have a multimeter. I guess my next step is finding one. Thanks. BTW, how would I reset the PCB protection circuit?

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have a multimeter. I guess my next step is finding one. Thanks. BTW, how would I reset the PCB protection circuit?

Resetting involves using a known good battery. You touch the + to + and a jumper wire to both negatives. Only takes a couple of seconds, but you have to know that your battery doesn't any voltage to do the reset.
Walmart has cheap multimeters for under $10. Makes no difference if it's digital or an old analog meter, just that you can measure voltage.

Norm

Retired Administrator
Sounds like the protection got tripped. If your charger is an i4/i2 or similar, it will not reset the protection (not true, read below), but HKJ's famous hotwire action should:
(Edit: only do this for a few seconds at most!)

(This assumes you still have one working, charged Li-ion battery.)