well, got my first McGizmo... and even Don says, it is what it is

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don says basically: I'll sell you a light, and I put a lot of work into them.
not much else is said other than: you don't like it, return it and we'll be done.

that is about it
---
Well, I got a new Haiku XML and...after buying a ton of lights in the last 5 months...

some customs, many production...
lumen blasters, low power, everything in-between...

I can say:

1) yes all the hype said by McGizmo owners is pretty much true
2) my light arrived dingless, so I guess I need to send it back, so Don can ding it, and get it back to me with at least 1 flaw :D
3) The heft and feel and cut of the barrel is ideal. Best of the 54 lights I own.
4) it came with a perfect centered LED, reflector, and white wall test is the smoothest XML I own... no rings
5) the switch is beefy
6) spring is insanely strong
7) Clip, man o man makes ALL other clips look like they were cut from paper, then wetted. This is a TOOL clip, not a cheese clip

so, yeah I had to get one to 'believe the hype' and
...I am a real hard-*** on product quality...my review: totally worth it.
pictures do not do it justice.

this is the one light I want forever. it is a tool that produces light, not a light that can be used as a tool, if that makes any sense.

Raven-burg

Newly Enlightened
Welcome to a very special club my friend!
Had my Haiku XM-L for about a week now and echo all you say.
You would need a microscope to spot any flaws in the finish. It's machining at its best!
Its odd really as out of all my lights, I seem to care the least about how I use this one. I don't baby it at all. I've used it everyday since getting it. All my previous, cheaper lights have been carefully looked after.
I think this is because I love it soo much, I know it will be with me for a very long time. I allways looked after my other lights, I think, because I knew I'd be moving them on and would want top dollar for them due to being pristine.

As you say it's a tool, so carry it well and squeeze all the life you can out of that god like Titan!!!

scout24

Flashaholic
Well said, and welcome! Bombproof works of art, equally at home on a shelf to be admired, or carried, used hard, and put up wet every day. Ergonomic masterpieces, and the clip is second to none. I'm not sure whom to credit with the quote of " Death grip clip" , but it's certainly secure... Enjoy, and don't be afraid to ding it up all on your own! :)

nbp

Flashaholic
It's times like these..you just can't put a price on 'em. :buddies:

Congrat's dude, welcome to the club. :naughty:

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
I would bring a McGizmo into the jungle with me. I wouldn't trust a JetBeam, Sunwayman or even Fenix in this respect. Having said that, I do favor the TC-R1 as EDC. The Nichia 119 Haiku and Mule get some EDC time too but less.

Flashlight Enthusiast
before I got this I figured I'd

-anodize it
-machine it for trits

now I decided, no way in heck will I molest this light.

if i want a trit I will dangle a fob....
if I want anodizing I'll anodize something else...Maybe the clip...but only maybe

this thing is the bomb as it is :D

fyrstormer

Banned
Welcome to the club. :)

CIMG4588.jpg

Next, get a Mule Hi-CRI. Nowadays, that is my most-used Gizmo. It's perfect for photography.

Last edited:

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
before I got this I figured I'd

-anodize it
-machine it for trits

now I decided, no way in heck will I molest this light.

if i want a trit I will dangle a fob....
if I want anodizing I'll anodize something else...Maybe the clip...but only maybe

this thing is the bomb as it is :D

I love my McGizmo's unmolested! Nothing but palm sweat patina and dings from everyday use for me. I do however like seeing what some brave souls will do with their lights.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanna say something

I have 5 other lights that are single cr123 and single XML

but for sure, the beam from the Haiku is the smoothest and ringless. the others have artifacts or rings

so, I do not know if Don carefully engineers the reflector to represent an XML best, or picks the XML off the reel
like a special coffee bean...or it is just random chance mine is perfect. but it really is perfect. I am blown away.

never thought I would be a total fan, because something about all my other lights disappoint. Not the Haiku. sheesh... it's great.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was never too keen on the Haiku when it came out, I was so hung up on the PD's. But, I may need to check one out sooner or later.

Yeah that happened to me, but went back to the Haiku and was sold one it. Had one upgrade from XR-E in the Haiku. But upgraded my PDs to neutral XM-Ls & man I am back to them now..... They are both great!

SeanRiva

Newly Enlightened
I am a photographer and am trying to get my hands on one with no luck! I think I would like a Makai 6V -XM-L 2x123. ​But I am not 100% sure. I was hoping to talk to someone who could point me in the right direction.

SuPpAvIlLiN

Enlightened
I agree. I just got my XML and I love mine also. And like you mine didn't have any dings or anything that I could see. Awsome solid little light. I would love a glow boot for it though;)
599501_400093733375561_389366166_n.jpg