Well this happened.

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
This lens had a very slight bubble when I got this 6p classic but it didn’t seem to hurt anything and didn’t seem to worsen with use. The light was in my pocket tonight and I just took it out to find it like this. :(

43E36C33-0675-4AF3-BE99-7750C60361F0.jpeg

I guess it will be off to surefire for a new lens since it’s the old press fit and not so user serviceable.

Last edited:

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
It must have been pressed on while I was sitting down with it. I hope they can replace the lens on these old models, otherwise it may be a headache to fix.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
This lens had a very slight bubble when I got this 6p classic but it didn’t seem to hurt anything and didn’t seem to worsen with use. The light was in my pocket tonight and I just took it out to find it like this. :(

View attachment 24064

I guess it will be off to surefire for a new lens since it’s the old press fit and not so user serviceable.

Thanks for reminding me why I carry almost all of my EDC flashlights via a holster, on my belt (with the exception of AAA "keychain" lights).

Sorry to see that happen, hope it can be taken care of.

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
It's been a while but if I recall correct you pop the old lens out by pressing the head (threads up) onto a 19mm deep socket, then to install the new one rub some liquid dish soap around the edge of the lens for lube and press in the new one opposite of how you pressed out the old one.

Is it the same size lens as the 6p original, c2 and etc?

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
Thanks for reminding me why I carry almost all of my EDC flashlights via a holster, on my belt (with the exception of AAA "keychain" lights).

Sorry to see that happen, hope it can be taken care of.

I’ve never had something like this happen. It was in my back pocket, inside a remora pouch that’s for pocket carrying a pistol magazine. I should have backed off the tailcap a bit and it would have prevented it.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
I’ve never had something like this happen. It was in my back pocket, inside a remora pouch that’s for pocket carrying a pistol magazine. I should have backed off the tailcap a bit and it would have prevented it.

Sounds like you should have, but then it's not as "useful", if you're carrying that 6P for use with what utilizes those mags.

I also carry my spare mags, on my belt, in holster/s, for the same reason.

If I need them, I want them found in the same position (always), so that my "muscle memory" is intact, and I'm not searching for my flashlight or spare mags, at a moment when seconds might count.

I realize belt carry isn't for everyone, but as my belt area is generally (almost always) covered (off duty), due to what I "carry", I find no reason not to carry my tools in the (IMHO) most appropriate manner (for me).

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
OOF. That happens with those old Lexan lenses. The "Surefire Shrinkydink". There are rebuild kits out there for the old bezels but they're few and far between. I wonder if Flashlightlens sells one that's thin and flexible enough to snap in there.

I was talking to a Sherrif's deputy at an IDPA match and he related multiple stories of sitting in court, and someone remarking that they smell something burning, to find a Surefire on someone's duty rig turned on and melting through the lens.

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
I’ve already heard back from surefire and they are sending me a bezel. In that case I may give it a shot at replacing the bubbled lens and worst case scenario I will have a new bezel.

SF has been great about sending me parts and stuff in the past. Awesome customer service.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
My guess is they'll send you a new hex bezel. I'd be surprised if they still have any of the old round heads in stock. They don't even have the lens replacement kits. Please keep us posted.

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
My guess is they'll send you a new hex bezel. I'd be surprised if they still have any of the old round heads in stock. They don't even have the lens replacement kits. Please keep us posted.

They did send a hex bezel. Can’t fault them for not having any more of the old style left, still excellent customer service. I suppose I’ll be looking for a suitable replacement lens for the round bezel. Anyone have a suggestion?

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
That's a tough one, but not something that the CPF family is unfamilar with...

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/surefire-z17-lens-replacement.365392/

The original kit for the old-school 6P was called the "Z17". Use that in your search criteria and poke around. You may not find one for sale, but it will help locate discussion and measurement. The user above made one out of 1/16" polycarbonate. The measurements are in the thread. (The Z19 is the number for the kit for the old-school shock-isolated Z32 bezel)

I don't know if PCC is still making them, but you can reach out to him. Worse comes to worse, you know the dimensions, so you can track down some material and see if you can make one or have them made.

Good luck buddy! Let us know how you make out.

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF Supporter
ONCE in awhile, they pop up on that famous auction site. But not very often.

I haven't seen one in years, but then again, I haven't been looking.

SMar

Newly Enlightened
I misread Megalamuffin's original post--I thought it said 3P (versus 6P), hence my R30 question. I have an early E2 with a heat deformed lens (not too bad though)--I wonder what the original owner used to have caused it. I've since put an MN03 into it but would love to have a new lens installed.

michaex

Enlightened
CPF Supporter
Interestingly I've just learned that in 9P, even P90 can cause that effect - although not that extensive. Careful with hot bulbs!