What’s your all time favorite flashlight?

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Curious to know what everyone's all time favorite light that they would never part with and checks all their boxes. Also in hopes to last you a lifetime of use

Mine is a Zebralight sc64w HI

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
The md3 is an omnivore of batteries. You can use two 18500's or 17500's, 18650 or 16650 with a dummy, three cr123's or less with dummies, 1-3 18350's or 16340's with spacers, or even two aa or aaa. There's enough drop in options to meet practically any need.

It's an amazingly versatile light and that's why it's my favorite, and would be the pick if I could have just one.

Msf

Enlightened
All time favorite would be one of my HDS lights. Which one changes almost daily. Have dozens of lights that have won me over that I would never part with from other companies as well. Thank goodness I don't have to choose!

fulee9999

Enlightened
Malkoff MD2 hi/lo with an M61N. It's a rare occasion when it's not within arms reach.
I just so adore the mechanical high-low functionality ( especially after going through a good number of lights ) you can't imagine.
The flood/spill ratio is great, runtime good, heat management great, durability exceptional, color rendering outstanding, can't complain.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are three I won't part with

1) incan E, in every configuration I can get my hands on. When I came in here in 2014, it was the very first recommendation I was given. I was raised in natural light, and though LED is efficient and their light quality has gotten very close, to this day no single LED can match the superior tint and color rendition of incandescing filament. Incan is supported well now because batteries have gotten so good, but incan Surefire & compatible have also gotten unaffordably expensive for mere flashlighting, but incan MagLite lumen junkies know.

2) Noctigon KR4 w/ E21A emitters - there are things I don't like about this light, such the pointless extra colored emitters that barely provide any light, that it is a hefty light and could have been trimmer, and that there really is no single emitter version with reflector (there is and there isn't, the KR1 driver is missing one key feature), but what is great about this light is that when ordered with Nichia E21A emitters, the FET driver is Constant Current, and of course, light output is regulated. The 3500K E21A emitter is the closest I have seen to actual incan, the 2000K E21A emitter is the closest I have seen to the last few minutes of a saturated Golden Hour sunset.

3) Zebralight SC5c MkII 4000K, because satisfactory color rendition, amazingly bright for AA, and amazingly efficient with sublumen modes. Tint is a little wonky, but tint doesn't affect its utility. Also, it is regulated, it is small, and it tailstands like a champion.

Last edited:

brachypelma44

Newly Enlightened
Currently it's the stainless steel Acebeam E70 (4500K GT FC40 emitter.) I put dc-fix on the lens to smooth it out, and now it's nearly perfect for my usage. Looks amazing and feels great in the hand, too.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
The md3 is an omnivore of batteries. You can use two 18500's or 17500's, 18650 or 16650 with a dummy, three cr123's or less with dummies, 1-3 18350's or 16340's with spacers, or even two aa or aaa. There's enough drop in options to meet practically any need.

It's an amazingly versatile light and that's why it's my favorite, and would be the pick if I could have just one.
Yep and a M91 will handle all of those battery options 😁

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore E4K. I wish it had warm white l.e.d.s and the U.I. takes some getting used to, but the brightness settings cover all my bases well, and it has excellent size, weight, and form factor for a 21700 light. 2 to 4400 lumens in a pocket sized light was unimaginable a decade or two ago. Any brighter in a handheld light and I'll probably need oven mitts.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I like one so much I featured it on a coffee cup. Actually two.
ECC7FF43-E953-483A-82C3-82C366A14A82.jpeg

A 1980's 2C generic flashlight made in the PA Bright Star factory.

D1C5063B-FA2C-4EE8-A158-3E9A6FBCE9B1.jpeg

And the 2014 PK Design Lab FL-2 LE.

The 80's 2C was a super reliable little number available at mom n pop's hardware stores. Mine came from Scout24.
The FL-2 was a ridiculously bright (at that time) 650 lumen tactical flashlight.

Third place goes to SureFire for their 320 lumen G2x Pro.

Mr. Bulk gold plated Dragonheart. Others are more useful, but I just love this light. One of a kind. Vinh put a beautiful SST20 in it. Gold LED for the one and only gold Dragonheart.

20190224_070329.jpg
20190224_070809.jpg

Last edited:

flashflood

Enlightened
For me it's the Fenix TK-75. It's not fancy or exotic, and it's low CRI, yet it's the workhorse I reach for again and again. Plenty of runtime with 4 x 18650, plenty of light with 4 x Cree XHP70, a good flood/throw mix, and rock-solid build.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
All time?.... Fenix L0D Rebel 80.
My back-up light one night almost 20 years ago when things went wrong, and my Night-Ops Gladius failed on me in the most miserable way possible. That night was when I needed a truly bright and reliable light to perform, far more than at any other time in my Life. And that little Fenix did just that.

experimentjon

Newly Enlightened
All time has to be Mcgizmo Haiku with an AA pak. From the original 3S then upgraded to a Guppy3drv engine, it has kept up with the times over the last ~10 years or so. And somehow the styling is still as modern as day one.

The HDS rotary is a close second...but I've only recently been able to get my hands on one--possibly the best UI of all time.

And for some reason, I also have a real love for my old Surefire E2D...it just feels right in hand.