What 1AA light replaces the Dorcy 1AA 3-LED?

john_bud

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I am in need of some suggestions...

I was in love with the Dorcy 1AA light at the price from Target. Now that Target no longer carries them, what light is going to replace it? I am especially interested in aluminum bodies that can be used with Lux mods. Did I mention that cost is no object, as long as it's low!

Thanks,
John_Bud

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 1AA that uses a Luxeon? It doesn't exist. You can buy a 1AAA Solitaire and add a drop-in Luxeon sandwiche designed for the Solitaire, but that will set you back more than $40. Or you could buy a 1AA chopped Mag Mini in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum and add $30 to $60 for a Luxeon bulb module, with or without step-up circuitry. So much for a Dorcy 1AA replacement!

Forget a Luxeon. Get a Blue Ghost II ($4 or so) from Dae in our Dealer's forum. I owned the original Blue Ghost (the ubiquitous eBay 12LED, 1AA metal job) and its beam was indistinguishable from my Peak 5LED Hi Output Kilimanjaro. Dae's beam shots suggest, to my eye, that the II is at least 30 percent brighter.

The nice thing about ordering lights from Dae instead of eBay is that you won't be charged $9 shipping for each light you order.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I forgot about the $20 Advancemart; it's getting raves from forum members.

While my next recommendation is not nearly as bright, you might also consider the $10 "8LED Single AA LED Flashlight" sold by Batterystation.com on their Wolfeye's page:
http://www.batterystation.com/importLEDflashlights.htm

I keep one by my bed. Extremely well made and heavy for a 1AA, it has a click switch (which switches ON or OFF when you let go) near the head. Click switches are rare among 1AA lights.

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Too bad. What set the Dorcy 1AA apart for me was the ease with which you could make changes to it and the (..didn't appreciate it when it was there.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ) low price at Target.

Don't know anything about it, but this light at AmondoTech might be usable, if the head can be gotten off.

paulr

Flashaholic
If you real bright 1aa and are thinking of a luxeon mod, consider an LRI Proton when they come out. Right now that seems to be a much more interesting light than any 1aa mod light.

john_bud

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the leads guys. Will check them out.

The light is to mod. Right now I have a 1AA Dorcy with a TWOK, a custom circuit to protect the 14500 Li-ion that direct drives it at 0.94A when at 4.2V!

The Amondo one does look good... Will try that, thanks!

JB

mrfixitman

Enlightened
I have an Odepro ED10. Amazing. I have a Dorcy 1aaa. Coil detached on the board. The Dorcy has good quality screw in parts. Is there a 1.5v module that can be dropped in? The ED 10 is dimmable for long run time. A 1.5v bulb with the electronics inside would be good. The ED10 changes mode by cycling on and off.l
17169199522591730108262299298365.jpg

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, the memories of these oldies. Had one AAA die last last year, it had a good life of use. Some of the others didn't last nearly as long.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Hopefully John found what he was looking for before now.
Hope 19 years later, he is doing well.

Latest posts