What a traffic nightmare this will be!!!

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
F1 was always the elite of the elite, so popularity amongst the Yanks has never been as solid as some forms of American sports.

I was a freshman in HS and was a huge fan of motorsports and remember this well:

"Dan Gurney won a total of four F1 Grand Prix races, the last of which was the 1967 Belgian Grand Prix in the Eagle T1G, a car that Gurney had designed and built himself. Gurney remains the only American in modern F1 history to win an F1 Grand Prix in a car of his own construction."

Born nearby in Costa Mesa, his F1 wins were very patriotic events for me and I followed his amazing career until he passed.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

If your library has The Unfair Advantage by Mark Donohue check it out.
Has a picture of a Porsche 917/30 Can-Am Spyder on the cover.

That car could be turned up to around 1600hp,, there were no rules in Can-Am (Canadian American series)
1699288418688.jpeg

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sitting in the Turn 6 grandstand, I had the good fortune to see this flat 12 cylinder twin turbo monster tooling around Riverside International Raceway in the early '80s. Otis Chandler (owner of the LA Times) a race car aficionado, had purchased it and took it out for a few laps before the LA Times IMSA/GTP race.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I remember the old in car camera days when those guys shfted so fast with a gear shifter. Come out of a hairpin and bwah, bwah, bwah, 60-180 like it was nothing.
I hadn't watched racing for a while and one day the in car camera showed bwah, bwah, bwah 60-180 but no shifter. Wuh? Nope, steering wheel shifters. WOW!!

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember the old in car camera days when those guys shfted so fast with a gear shifter. Come out of a hairpin and bwah, bwah, bwah, 60-180 like it was nothing.
I hadn't watched racing for a while and one day the in car camera showed bwah, bwah, bwah 60-180 but no shifter. Wuh? Nope, steering wheel shifters. WOW!!
Yep. F1 cars use a type of semi-automatic transmission known as a "seamless shift gearbox.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those Porsche 917s were all brutal. Those cars are really what got me to love Motorsports.
1800lbs
1600 hp at 40 lbs of boost
0-60 in 2.1 seconds
Rear wheel drive
No abs
No traction control
You had to be on the edge of crazy to drive one at the limit.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

What makes all those laps by Senna so amazing, is NO paddle shift.
In the most inopportune times, he has to take his right hand off the wheel,,, this on a car w/ far less downforce than todays'.
Some of the mid-corner down shifts or short shifts up are the things I pick up on ~ Just so difficult to do.

Suzuka is top 5 track on the planet, I put Road America in the top 5,, yep.
If my cars running, I can be inside the Main Gate at Road America in under 90 seconds.

Obviously, Spa Francorchamps top 5 track.
Brands Hatch GP in top 5 also

Road America is 4 miles long with alot of elevation change.
..it was repaved 1 year ago,, teams tested from April~late October because a fresh track gives very good data.
This pic was before the repave

1699456844141.jpeg

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
@orbital That's one reason I used to be so amazed by in car cameras in F1 cars. Steering wheel being tossed around by bumps and stiff suspension while the driver is pushing the car to razor thin margin's of error in a vehicle that all too often the driver died if they crashed.

I really don't have a favorite track. I like them all.

I like super bikes too but that's for another thread. In the early 90's this Japanese rider lost traction, the bike wobbled tossing over the handle bars and the guy was so cool he plated his feet in a way that bounced him back onto the seat and "bwaaaaah" like it never happened. He was leading by a few feet, the guy behind him slowed a bit so he himself wouldn't crash, and the guy who crashed never lost the lead!!!!

I'm glad I don't live where a street racing course is set up but they sure are fun races to watch on tv.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now, how many criminals are going to be video recording the race and taking notes on how to drive that route, to make better their high speed getaway from the Vegas cops in the future? Probably none...but ya never know!

Probably none is about right. First you should consider that American criminals usually aren't the smartest of the bunch and don't spend a whole lot of time planning a crime or use any sophistication.

Furthermore if you do something that you think will result in a high speed chase it is probably best to go back to the drawing board. I believe that this place is in the middle of the desert so there really isn't anywhere to go before they get a helicopter involved.

I think people that run from the police are usually some minor drug/alco offenders that aren't thinking clearly and think they can just drive away from the police as if it was really so easily.

Now I knew a Russian that had the kinds of cars that could outdrive a police car only they are kept in Canada and his offense was hacking related here in the states.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Monaco has been hosting GP races for so long they have it down to a science. Yes, it's disruptive, but they're a jewel in the F1 crown.
With Vegas loving their flashy bright lights bit, a GP maybe wasn't the best idea.

Last edited: